The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

DraftBuzz 2015 NHL Draft Preliminary Top 15 Ranking

DraftBuzz 2015 NHL Draft Preliminary Top 15 Ranking

1. Connor McDavid, LW, 60 185 lbs, Erie Otters, OHL

Report: High octane, rocket fueled, coast to coast star will be ready to flash in 2014. Does he have enough fortitude to fight overscouting?

2. Noah Hanifin, D, 62 201 lbs, USNTDP U17, USHL

Report: Rare, elite puck mover and shutdown defender all in one package. Steep trajectory - performed better at U18 than U17.

3. Mathew Barzal, C, 511 172 lbs, Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL

Report: Sees the ice on an other level with razor sharp puck movement. Outperformed projected 14 1st rounders at U18 making them look like benders.

4. Jack Eichel, C, 61 190 lbs, USNTDP U18, USHL

Report:Controversial rank as he's considered CM challenger. Mega, different talent than McDavid will rise in an instant if he shows he can care to wake up.

5. Pavel Zacha, LW, 63 201 lbs, Bili Tygri Liberec, CZECH

Report: Big, strong, elusive, full package offensively. Has a full mens league season under belt, and U20 WJC appearance. Kid is for real.

6. Evgeny Svechnikov, LW, 62 185 lbs, Bars Kazan, MHL

Report: May be a bit high, but wow is he a heavy offensive threat every shift. Shouldnt be that skilled. Rumored QMJHL bound.

7. Mitchell Marner, C, 510 163 lbs, London Knights, OHL

Report: Competitive, shifty, buttery hands melted cocky OHL D all year. Save yourself the Fabbri-wait; raise him now regardless of height.

8. Travis Konecny, RW, 510 170 lbs, Ottawa 67s, OHL

Report: Explosive in every sense of the word. Exciting, small guy may not be listed size, but no biggie. He will go through you. Great U18.

9. Daniel Sprong, RW, 510 161 lbs, Charlottetown Islanders, QMJHL

Report: Understated gem carried his young team as a rookie. Broke ankles consistently with no help. Huge potential riser.

10. Kyle Connor, C/RW, 61 170 lbs, Youngstown Phantoms, USHL

Report: American sniper rounded out his game in half of a season. Best US player at U18. Unrelenting offensive zone star puts in the work.

11. Colin White, C, 60 179 lbs, USNTDP U17, USHL

Report: Landeskog-ish centerman with smarts. Always makes the right play. Went bananas offensively at U17 WHC.

12. Jeremy Roy, D, 60 183 lbs, Sherbrooke Phoenix, QMJHL

Report: Smooth, dissects the play well as a puck mover. Showed well as a rookie and didnt get beat much considering his forte is offense.

13. Dylan Strome, C, 62 179 lbs, Erie Otters, OHL

Report: Yet another bloodlined Strome. Unfortunately will be red headed step sister to McDavid lovers. Pro skillset that is steadily improving.

14. Robin Kovacs, RW, 6 163 lbs, AIK J20, SuperElit

Report: High flying, highly underrated winger. Gears up impressively off the wing. Drops bombs on poor goalies with a heavy release.

15. Oliver Kylington, D, 60 181 lbs, Farjestad, SHL

Report: Blazing defenseman w/ trick type skill and hands. Not as high as others. Defense is a foreign word to him as he looks like a forward.

http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com/#!future-watch/c1w68

Suprised to see eichel so low lol

I think Eichel will give McDavid a srs run for 1st overall.

I would love to get Barzal or Konecny

Konecny is one who could slide in the top 15 there, just cause its so stacked, but I love his game

Makes me want us to do bad, looking at that lineup......

LOL me tooo as bad as that sounds

I think Eichel will give McDavid a srs run for 1st overall.

I would love to get Barzal or Konecny

Konecny is one who could slide in the top 15 there, just cause its so stacked, but I love his game

LOL me tooo as bad as that sounds

Think about it. Trading Kesler, possible bottom 6 player and a defenseman; introducing new players and a new coach with some rookies.

The reality is, no matter what Linden is trying to sell us fans' is that unless we greatly over achieve the team will finish in the bottom 3rd of the league and yet another top 10 pick (3 years in a row)

We will be drafting fairly high and could end up with an extra pick or two in the first 2 rounds.

I don't want to see my team do poorly. But I think it is almost a given when looking at all the facts presented.

Think about it. Trading Kesler, possible bottom 6 player and a defenseman; introducing new players and a new coach with some rookies.

The reality is, no matter what Linden is trying to sell us fans' is that unless we greatly over achieve the team will finish in the bottom 3rd of the league and yet another top 10 pick (3 years in a row)

We will be drafting fairly high and could end up with an extra pick or two in the first 2 rounds.

I don't want to see my team do poorly. But I think it is almost a given when looking at all the facts presented.

Gooood god I hope your right! Any player in the top 10 looks fantastic!

Gooood god I hope your right! Any player in the top 10 looks fantastic!

Can you honestly see this team doing better than last year knowing a top 6 player and 4 d will possibly be leaving ?

One injury and that's our season

they really gotta stop saying Eichel will challenge McDavid for the number 1. He won't they can stir up some hype leading up to the draft, they can try to make us think McDavid might not be the number 1 pick.... that's fine.. make things more of a surprise. But no one is stupid enough to draft Eichel ahead of McDavid. Eichel reminds me of Jeff Carter, meanwhile McDavid reminds me of Sidney Crosby is unbelievable how they think Eichel can Challenge McDavid.

I hope Canucks suck next year.

they really gotta stop saying Eichel will challenge McDavid for the number 1. He won't they can stir up some hype leading up to the draft, they can try to make us think McDavid might not be the number 1 pick.... that's fine.. make things more of a surprise. But no one is stupid enough to draft Eichel ahead of McDavid. Eichel reminds me of Jeff Carter, meanwhile McDavid reminds me of Sidney Crosby is unbelievable how they think Eichel can Challenge McDavid.

I hope Canucks suck next year.

You are underselling Eichel. In most drafts, even in the 2014, he'd easily be the number 1 guy. Eichel, right now is better than McDavid, but McDavid still has a lot more to grow. In the U17/18 Torny, The two kids matched up against each other and were fairly evenly matched despite the difference in point totals, many believed that, it had to do with McDavid, simply being on a better team.

It's been said for a while now, there are 10+ potential franchise guys in the 2015 draft, so, it's a wait and see type of thing. Someone like, Ekblad, Reinhart, these guys would be around the 8-12 in the 2013 draft, I'd expect them, to be around the same int he 2015. 2015, is going to be a hell of a year for prospects, and people know this. The 2015 draft, has been hyped for 3+ years now, and if you are a hockey card collector, good luck. Those 2015 prospect boxes, will be much more expensive than it's ever been.

If anyone wants an idea, Alex Tuch, is projected around the mid 1st to second. Lots will tell you, this kid is a product of Jack Eichel and Sonny Milano, who is also ranked in the mid 1st to second. Think about this, Eichel, had more points than either player.

While, a guy like Hanofin, who isn't exactly Seth Jones hype yet, looks to be a much more explosive/dynamic than a Ekblad.

At this moment, all 3 guys, Eichel, Hanofin, and McDavid have been given the Franchise player status, but there's such a long ways to go. A lot of things can change in 1 year. There's so many guys that can step up, or go down. For anyone that is prospect lover, this year will be as good as it gets for a while. Barzal, even though is ranked 3rd isn't on Eichel's level. Many guys, have so much upside and are so raw though.

McDavid, is better than Sidney Crosby, at the same age, he's exactly like Crosby, but better puck handler but this means nothing. These boys, have a long road ahead of them. There's been countless of players who were suppose to be the next crosby- From Teemu Pulkkinen, to John McFarland, to even, Steven Anthony. In this year, scouts will evaluate the crap out of them.

It's not a draft that you can make a gamble, like you can and will in the 2014 draft.

You are underselling Eichel. In most drafts, even in the 2014, he'd easily be the number 1 guy. Eichel, right now is better than McDavid, but McDavid still has a lot more to grow. In the U17/18 Torny, The two kids matched up against each other and were fairly evenly matched despite the difference in point totals, many believed that, it had to do with McDavid, simply being on a better team.

It's been said for a while now, there are 10+ potential franchise guys in the 2015 draft, so, it's a wait and see type of thing. Someone like, Ekblad, Reinhart, these guys would be around the 8-12 in the 2013 draft, I'd expect them, to be around the same int he 2015. 2015, is going to be a hell of a year for prospects, and people know this. The 2015 draft, has been hyped for 3+ years now, and if you are a hockey card collector, good luck. Those 2015 prospect boxes, will be much more expensive than it's ever been.

If anyone wants an idea, Alex Tuch, is projected around the mid 1st to second. Lots will tell you, this kid is a product of Jack Eichel and Sonny Milano, who is also ranked in the mid 1st to second. Think about this, Eichel, had more points than either player.

While, a guy like Hanofin, who isn't exactly Seth Jones hype yet, looks to be a much more explosive/dynamic than a Ekblad.

At this moment, all 3 guys, Eichel, Hanofin, and McDavid have been given the Franchise player status, but there's such a long ways to go. A lot of things can change in 1 year. There's so many guys that can step up, or go down. For anyone that is prospect lover, this year will be as good as it gets for a while. Barzal, even though is ranked 3rd isn't on Eichel's level. Many guys, have so much upside and are so raw though.

McDavid, is better than Sidney Crosby, at the same age, he's exactly like Crosby, but better puck handler but this means nothing. These boys, have a long road ahead of them. There's been countless of players who were suppose to be the next crosby- From Teemu Pulkkinen, to John McFarland, to even, Steven Anthony. In this year, scouts will evaluate the crap out of them.

It's not a draft that you can make a gamble, like you can and will in the 2014 draft.

Eichel isn't better than McDavid, he doesn't have the compete level or the work ethic McDavid has to become #1. Eichel is great no doubt but McDavid has an amazing level of hockey smarts and if he gets a little help on skating he'll be on a Stamkos-Crosby level.

McDavid has that skill level where he can do Crosby like things such as Brown becoming OHL player of the year playing next to McDavid. Brown was a 6th rounder (I believe) and Eichel plays with Tuch, Milano who are 1st rounders this year, McDavid sets up 6th rounders and Eichel sets up 1st rounders.

Eichel isn't better than McDavid, he doesn't have the compete level or the work ethic McDavid has to become #1. Eichel is great no doubt but McDavid has an amazing level of hockey smarts and if he gets a little help on skating he'll be on a Stamkos-Crosby level.

McDavid has that skill level where he can do Crosby like things such as Brown becoming OHL player of the year playing next to McDavid. Brown was a 6th rounder (I believe) and Eichel plays with Tuch, Milano who are 1st rounders this year, McDavid sets up 6th rounders and Eichel sets up 1st rounders.

You'd be surprised. At this very moment, it isn't as clear as day like you guys make it up to be. NHL scouts were 5-4, on McDavid being number 1. That isn't a significant number and, you can't call that favorable at all. Anyone who thinks Eichel lacks the compete level or worth ethic, isn't watching the games. Anyone who actually follows hockey, will tell you the opposite of draftbuzz. There isn't anyone, who've watched Eichel play, that will call him lazy, or lacks compete. Draftbuzz is the only ones, that have mentioned it, but Draftbuzz isn't highly reputable, which is why they are heavily trying to promote their stuff on hockey boards as of late.

McDavid linemates and Eichel's linemates goes both ways. Tuch, and to a lesser extent Milano, are products of Eichels. It's also a reason why Milano and Tuch aren't higher than they should be. They don't want to make the mistake of picking a Scott Glennie, which very well could be the case with those 2.

Like i said, Don't under estimate Eichel. This guy, is very much a franchise guy. There's nothing wrong, with these two guys battling it out all year for the spot. This isn't a case where, 1 guy is significantly better than the other. As of right now, they are both in the same tier. Both are at least 2 levels, higher than Ekblad/Reinhart/Ekblad.

If people need a source; here.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=27787&navid=nhl:topheads

NHL.com asked nine scouts in attendance at NHL Central Scouting's final meetings this week for their personal choice between the two. The impromptu poll had McDavid earning a slim 5-4 victory.

The hype is very much warranted for both of these guys. We haven't even touched one the Hanifin kid too. 6'3, defender who can skate circles around people. He's already better than Ekblad. All three of these guys, are worthy of being 1st overalls in most drafts and the excitement of them all being in the same draft class.

You'd be surprised. At this very moment, it isn't as clear as day like you guys make it up to be. NHL scouts were 5-4, on McDavid being number 1. That isn't a significant number and, you can't call that favorable at all. Anyone who thinks Eichel lacks the compete level or worth ethic, isn't watching the games. Anyone who actually follows hockey, will tell you the opposite of draftbuzz. There isn't anyone, who've watched Eichel play, that will call him lazy, or lacks compete. Draftbuzz is the only ones, that have mentioned it, but Draftbuzz isn't highly reputable, which is why they are heavily trying to promote their stuff on hockey boards as of late.

McDavid linemates and Eichel's linemates goes both ways. Tuch, and to a lesser extent Milano, are products of Eichels. It's also a reason why Milano and Tuch aren't higher than they should be. They don't want to make the mistake of picking a Scott Glennie, which very well could be the case with those 2.

Like i said, Don't under estimate Eichel. This guy, is very much a franchise guy. There's nothing wrong, with these two guys battling it out all year for the spot. This isn't a case where, 1 guy is significantly better than the other. As of right now, they are both in the same tier. Both are at least 2 levels, higher than Ekblad/Reinhart/Ekblad.

I've watched Jack Eichel many times, sometimes I see the desire to win, sometimes he's floating around and it seemed like he had no idea what to do on the ice. He's a great player and will be a franchise player in the NHL along with McDavid and Hanifin but McDavid plays on a higher level and does much better than Eichel. He has everything, reminds me of Crosby on the ice. Great skater, extremely smart player with excellent skills. You can give me that scouts result but I can give you many sources who say McDavid is #1. Media does it to try and make a story, no story if McDavid is the clear #1.

If Eichel wants to show he better than McDavid then he needs to come to the CHL because playing on a lower level definitely won't get to #1.

Milano, Tuch>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brown/Fox/Burakovsky.

I'm not underselling him. He's actually being oversold. They might as well compare Eichel to Crosby then if he's that good. Which he's not. Dream on. These are mostly from American writers / fans that are Pimping him. Watch him, play, hes good. Very good, hes not McDavid.

If people need a source; here.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

9 years ago...they asked 30 NHL GMS's, if Kessel and Crosby were in the same draft who would they take? 12 GMS went with Kessel. Means nothing nowadays.

speaks for itself. Eichel is no phenom. Mcdavid is. American fans were trying to pimp Kessel too. (American's answer to Sidney Crosby) you remember that? yea?

anyways, with the 1st overall selection, XXXX team will no doubt select Connor McDavid. Not even close. In some other rankings he's not even ranked number 2! (Echel) including this one, draftbuzz.com, and I recently remember seeing another 2015 ranking list, that didn't even have Eichel at number 2. (although I strongly believe Eichel is and will be the number 2 pick, just like I know Connor will be number 1.

Archived