The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] - 1st Overall

not trying to sound like a dick here but the deal wanted is Tanev, Shinkaruk + 6th overall pick so we can take it or leave it. There is a chance we can change shinkaruk to the 10th overall in a kesler deal but that's about it. it I alright value wise but we have to give florida what they want or we won't make a deal.

not trying to sound like a dick here but the deal wanted is Tanev, Shinkaruk + 6th overall pick so we can take it or leave it. There is a chance we can change shinkaruk to the 10th overall in a kesler deal but that's about it. it I alright value wise but we have to give florida what they want or we won't make a deal.

The Canucks would be crazy for not taking this deal. Better yet if we can flip Kesler for the 10th, 24th and roster player or B level prospect and then use the 10th, 6th and Tanev to get Rienhart (while keeping Hunter) I will become an official member of the Benning/Linden fan club.

Rienhart is going to be an allstar in the NHL for a very long time.

To the OP, don't think Florida would take your deal but if they did oh man I'd be happy.

Whats your source for this? If this actually is the deal they want the Canucks would be really stupid to accept it.

Florida wont accept

We should trade kesler to ANA for 10th overall, 24th overall, and etem. They might not do it, so instead of the 24th, get the 2nd round pick then...

To Vancouver: 1st overall

To Florida: Tanev, 10th overall, 6th overall and a 2nd round pick.

Why the 24th ? I'd rather have a prospect like Etem 10th and Theodore for Kesler and our 2nd 2014. Then maybe the Florida deal we can add the 10 th instead of Shinkaruk

I think we will get a great player at the 6th position. We need to get younger and our assets have been traded away so often, that our prospect pool has ranked poorly, compared to most of the other NHL teams. Giving up our 6th + Shinkaruk + Tanev for the first overall is giving away three assets and receiving one in return. That is just more of the same for what this franchise has done over the years.

The first overall this year is also speculated as not being a franchise player in any of the speculated top three. Why give away three young assets for one young asset, especially when that #1 overall isn't a true #1?

If anyone of the teams ahead of us goes off the board, then we get a consensus ranked top 5 player. I'd rather take our chances with getting Leon or MDC than give up on properly developing our younger players. Shinkaruk looks like a player, he is fast and can score. We finally have a farm team set up and in a stable place that can develop our young players and hopefully, we'll see that lead to some success.

Follow the Detroit model and look how their young players are developing. When is the last time they had a pick in the top 15? Anaheim is developing all their players as well and they were at the top of the league this year in wins.

Tanev is a good, young player who is continuing to develop and seems to take great strides every year. He is a presence on the ice and his cap hit is extremely low (we'll see what happens with the qualifying offer) compared to the rest of the defense. With big contracts to the vets, we need the younger, less costly contracts to balance everything out.

Keep our assets and get younger!

Whats your source for this? If this actually is the deal they want the Canucks would be really stupid to accept it.

Why? A prospect picked at 24th overall (Shinkarauk) plus a 6th for a 1st would be a steal for the Canucks. Look at the past 10 drafts and see how #1 picks have turned out vs 6th overall, then tell me if you still think we shouldn't make that trade.

As Canuck fans we should remember the dark drafts of 1996-2000, where everything out of the top 5 was a complete and utter clusterf***.
Boyd Devereaux, Daniel Tkaczuk, Rico Fata, Brian Finley, Scott Hartnell all went 6th overall.

1 player in a 6 year stretch became a talented 2/3rd line player. This is what we should be expecting with an Ehlers/Virtanen. A small talented player that winds up in Europe because the NA game is too physical, or a very good middle 6 winger. Patrick Kane/Jeff Carter they are not.
(incidentally, Harnell was a LW from the WHL...)

If we don't trade up, don't expect a top-6 player guaranteed. This isn't 2003 where all-stars littered the 1st round.

Archived