The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks initiate talks with Bolland

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/25/fences-mended-canucks-reportedly-initiate-talks-with-bolland-camp/

Apparently time does heal all wounds.

On Wednesday, Vancouvers News 1130 reported the Canucks made contact with pending UFA center Dave Bolland, who appears to be at a contractual impasse with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Bolland, of course, has quite the history with Vancouver.

A thorn in Vancouvers side during his time as a Hawk he has 17 points in 16 career playoff games against the Canucks Bolland infamously ripped to Daniel and Henrik Sedin during a Chicago-based radio appearance three years ago, which sparked a war of words between the organizations.

Heres what then-head coach Alain Vigneault and d-man Kevin Bieksa said after Bolland called the Sedins sisters and suggested they share bunk beds.

Vigneault:

"They've both been probably two of the best players in the NHL for the last five years, theyve won a gold medal, and they are really involved in the community. They are great examples for players in the NHL, and for young people. They are just two great young people.

When you have comments like Bollands, hes obviously an individual whose IQ is probably the size of a birdseed. And he has a face that only a mother could look at.

Youre talking about two players who play with integrity, they play the right way, that are great examples of everything this game stands for. Then you have a birdseed like that making comments.

Lucky his mother loves him."

Bieksa:

"I think he looks more like a girl than they do.

I think if it werent for the twins, I dont think anyone would hear about Dave Bolland. His matchup against them in the playoffs has put him on the map. If he doesnt want them on his team, hes crazy. Its probably because hed be out of a roster spot."

So yeah, itd be rather interesting to see Bolland join the room after this though to be fair, it was three years ago and Bolland has since expressed major remorse. Also worth noting that Bieksas still there, but Vigneault is long gone.

As for the actual news at hand per 1130, talks between Vancouver and Bolland appear to be in their infancy, and much hinges on what the Canucks do with Ryan Kesler, rumored to be on the move at this Fridays NHL Entry Draft in Philadelphia.

Interesting. Definitely would be open to brining Bolland in. With Kes gone leaving a huge hole to be filled in, in all honesty Bolland can help out a lot cleaning that gap up. Wouldn't mind him as 3C/temporary 2C. Would be much appreciated depth and can do a lot of what Kes did defensively and has an offensive game too.

His reported asking price of $5+ million and 7+ years from Toronto is kind of outrageous and I hope that Benning is smart enough to not pay it.

Take a cue from Leafs Land. Overpay overpay overpay and then possibly gut the team for a 1st overall (please let that trade be true so i can LOL)

He's not a bad player but he isn't a whole lot different than a lot of the 2nd/3rd line tweeners we already have.

He asked for upwards of 5 million for 7-8 years. No way I want a player with those expectations, only to fall off the map after a season or two.

I'd take him for a max of 2 years, but he's probably going to sign for a long term deal somewhere to get him set for life.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: David Bolland's initial ask of TOR was 7 or 8 yr deal worth shade under $5M per year. If TOR counters it will be for shorter term/lower AAV.

Get over it.

I think that Bolland is only asking for 5+ million from the leafs due to their already bad contracts, and he's using them as a comparable. I don't think he'll sign anywhere around 5M+ and 7 years. Probably 3.5M+ and 3 years is what I see.

That's entirely possible. When you see a guy like Clarkson get that kind of money you have to know the team management is dumb enough to give you close to what you want

Still see him getting north of $4 million though easily on this weak market

I don't mind him here, but definitely not with that kinda price tag attached to his butt. And not at that kinda length on the contract. 2-3 years max... And sorry to say this, but the salary needs to start with a 3 not 5...

Signing Bolland would mean Horvat would stay in junior in my opinion. Ready or not (unless it's that bad) Horvat should be given 3rd line duties and maybe move up to 2nd as the year progresses.

Too banged up and too expansive IMO to bring him now, since we are not really contenders anymore. But Benning wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't inquiring about him. We have cheaper option with Matthias, Horvat, Richardson and Santo IMO.

Looks good to me, with this 3rd line can we assume we put Horvat in at the 2 slot?

Either him or Reinhart lol.

Idk who'd play with the Sedins though. Probably Burrows since Higgins - Bolland - Kassian would make more sense. Dont really want Higgz on the 2nd line, let alone the 1st.

His reported asking price of $5+ million and 7+ years from Toronto is kind of outrageous and I hope that Benning is smart enough to not pay it.

Take a cue from Leafs Land. Overpay overpay overpay and then possibly gut the team for a 1st overall (please let that trade be true so i can LOL)

He's not a bad player but he isn't a whole lot different than a lot of the 2nd/3rd line tweeners we already have.

Well he has the right to ask that much in Toronto. In a place like Vancouver he won't get that and he knows.

Why can he request that there in TO? Well cause the management doesn't have a cap structure and they broke it down completely when they threw all that money at Clarkson. It was a dagger and why players on the Leafs will be asking so much. Place like Vancouer and especially with respected new management, there is a cap structure in place and players know beforehand their limits in terms of what they can get compared to other players.

...heck, I don't blame Dave one bit lol. If I was him and I see that 3rd/4th liner teammate in Clarkson getting paid big time, why wouldn't I request something absurd too?

gut the team for a 1st overall (please let that trade be true so i can LOL)

I hope that trade is true too. Getting rid of a selfish egotistic Kadri and stupid contract in Dion is hardly "gutting" the team.

Those are my 2 least favourite players on Toronto.

Well he has the right to ask that much in Toronto. In a place like Vancouver he won't get that and he knows.

Why can he request that there in TO? Well cause the management doesn't have a cap structure and they broke it down completely when they threw all that money at Clarkson. It was a dagger and why players on the Leafs will be asking so much. Place like Vancouer and especially with respected new management, there is a cap structure in place and players know beforehand their limits in terms of what they can get compared to other players.

...heck, I don't blame Dave one bit lol. If I was him and I see that 3rd/4th liner teammate in Clarkson getting paid big time, why wouldn't I request something absurd too?

Just be thankful you dont have Nonis anymore. Worst contract in the league atm is Clarkson (imo) and he cant even freebee buyhim out... He literally screwed us hard.

I just hope Clarkson bounces back because it beats the alternative. I like Clarkson but goddamn that contract is the biggest burden in the NHL.

But it's all part of the plan to keep Canadian teams sh** though, right TOMapleLaughs?

Either him or Reinhart lol.

Idk who'd play with the Sedins though. Probably Burrows since Higgins - Bolland - Kassian would make more sense. Dont really want Higgz on the 2nd line.

I think Jensen will be given the spot there. He had some pretty solid chemistry with the twins last season and don't see why they at least wouldn't give it another shot.

Daniel-Henrik-Jensen

Higgins - Horvat/Reinhart - Santorelli

Burrows - Bolland - Kassian

...I like the looks of that.

Don't read to much into this rumour, don't think first year GM and a respected hockey man in Jim Benning would risk a tampering charge. Bolland is still under contract with Toronto and no talks can happen until July 5th. So I call BS on this rumour.

Archived