The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

50 Goals In 50 Games

Who will be the next NHL'er to score 50 in 50?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's been quite some time since a player has scored 50 goals in 50 games. So musch so you rarely hear anyone talking about this accomplishment these days. In my opinion, I agree with Wayne Gretzky when he says the one record which will probably last, is his record, 50 goals in 39 games.

If I'm not mistaken, the last player to do so was Brett Hull in 1992, and he did it twice. Once in 49 games and once in 50 games. The other players who have done this are Marice Richard, Mike Bossy and Mario Lemieux.

Notable mentions are Jari Kurri, Alex Mogilney, and Cam Neely who all did it in their 50th game but to be recognised by the NHL you must do it by the 50th game of the season.

Can this accomplishment be done again in this era of hockey? If so who will be the next player to do so? I'll choose Stamkos. When he is healthy, he is the top sniper in the league.

It's been quite some time since a player has scored 50 goals in 50 games. So musch so you rarely hear anyone talking about this accomplishment these days. In my opinion, I agree with Wayne Gretzky when he says the one record which will probably last, is his record, 50 goals in 39 games.

If I'm not mistaken, the last player to do so was Brett Hull in 1992, and he did it twice. Once in 49 games and once in 50 games. The other players who have done this are Marice Richard, Mike Bossy and Mario Lemieux.

Notable mentions are Jari Kurri, Alex Mogilney, and Cam Neely who all did it in their 50th game but to be recognised by the NHL you must do it by the 50th game of the season.

Can this accomplishment be done again in this era of hockey? If so who will be the next player to do so? I'll choose Stamkos. When he is healthy, he is the top sniper in the league.

Crosby looked like he was going to do it now I would agree Stamkos is the only person who has a shot at this.

Surprised only 1 vote for Ovechkin. Stamkos is yet to surpass him as the best goal scorer in the league (though I think he's becoming a more well-rounded player every year while Ovie's seeming less dynamic than he used to be).

I don't think anybody breaks 50 in 50 for a while.

Odds are, it'll never be done in this era. The only way it'll ever be done again is if we are ushered into a new era of offense similar to the 70s to the early 90s.

That said, your 3rd question has no time frame. While I don't see anyone scoring 50 in 50 within the next 5 years, it could be done, say, 20 years from now by some young new phenom.

50 in 50 will happen again. If its this generation I would guess stamkos. Him or ovechkin. Ovechkin was actually pretty close this year I believe? Combined with the end of last year and start of this year I think he was pretty close. I read that somewhere. I'm surprised Kane didn't get any votes. I could see him getting close anyway. He has the most skill in the NHL I'd say. Between him and datsyuk. If Kane can do what he does in the playoffs in the regular season lookout.

Rome?

In all seriousness no idea if it will happen again but I like to think it will with the top 5 guys in the league all it takes is to get on a roll pot a couple multi goal games and have luck on your side.

And alo would depend on the schedule of teams faced if you face only a few defensive teams in your first 50 you stand q much better chance but if you play the Boston's of the league multiple times in the first 50 your odds probably drop little.

Didn't Ovechkin have 48 in 50 this season? If he had a few better players around him its certainly possible.

Stamkos is 24 years old. He easily has another 4-6 prime years left to do it.

No one knows what could happen. The game could change to increase overall goal scoring. A new player could show up in the next generation that's even better than the NHL's top 5.

Archived