The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to Host Young Stars Classic in Penticton

Gyllenhaal

Very excited for the tournament again this year. I really hope it becomes an anual thing, fantastic way for both the prospects to get some ice time and fans to see the future of the Canucks in an actual game atmosphere.

Hopefully this year they bother to bring blue helmets as well, always really bothered me.

1. It already is an annual thing, this is the 4th time in 5 years they've held it (missed the lockout year).
  2. It's just easier to not only pack one set of helmets, but also to get them all ready with logos and numbers for such a small set of games when a number of the players won't use them again that year. Only part of the group will go to the full training camp, and even less will have a chance to play with the Canucks, so it's a lot of effort for the training staff when they already have plenty to look after.

12 1st round picks at Young Stars Classic.

From Vancouver: Jared McCann, Bo Horvat, Hunter Shinkaruk, Brendan Gaunce, and Nicklas Jensen

From Calgary: Sam Bennett, Emile Poirier, and Morgan Klimchuk

From Edmonton: Leon Draisaitl, and Darnell Nurse

From Winnipeg: Nikolaj Ehlers, and Josh Morrissey

12 1st round picks at Young Stars Classic

The 2014 Young Stars Classic in Penticton, BC, beginning Friday, September 12, 2014, will feature a number of notable prospects of the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets. A total of twelve first round draft picks will be participating in the event this year. Over the past three Young Star Classics, over 65 players have gone on to play NHL games. Complete rosters will be released at a later date.

The Vancouver Canucks roster will include five players selected in the first round of the NHL Entry Draft since 2011: Jared McCann (24th overall in 2014), Bo Horvat (9th overall in 2013), Hunter Shinkaruk (24th overall in 2013), Brendan Gaunce (26th overall in 2012), and Nicklas Jensen (29th overall in 2011). Dane Fox, who led the Ontario Hockey League in goals (64) and ranked second in points (107) in 2013.14, will also attend the event alongside two players, Frank Corrado and Mike Zalewski, who spent time on the Canucks roster last season.

The Calgary Flames roster includes three first round draft picks: Sam Bennett (4th overall in 2014), Emile Poirier (22nd overall in 2013) and Morgan Klimchuk (28th overall in 2013). In addition, Mason McDonald, the 34th overall pick and first goalie to be drafted in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft has been named to the roster. John Gaudreau, winner of the 2014 Hobey Baker Award, will also be in attendance.

The Edmonton Oilers roster will include Leon Draisaitl (selected 3rd overall in 2014), Darnell Nurse (selected 7th overall in 2013), Mitch Moroz (selected 32nd overall in 2012) and David Musil (selected 31st overall 2011). Laurent Brossoit, who was named to the ECHL All-Rookie Team and ECHL 2nd All-Star Team following the 2013.14 season, will also attend the event.

The Winnipeg Jets roster includes two first round picks: Nikolaj Ehlers (9th overall in 2014) and Josh Morrissey (13th overall in 2013). The list also includes Nic Petan and J.C. Lipon, who represented Canada at the World Junior Championships in 2014 and 2013, respectively. Ryan Olsen, who collected 73 points in 2013.14 with the Kelowna Rockets, has been named to the tournament. Scott Kosmachuk, who collected 101 points and appeared in the Memorial Cup final with the Guelph Storm and 2014 NCAA Goalie of the Year Connor Hellebuyck will appear at the Young Stars Classic.

^ Just came to post that, but I guess I'll settle with noting the presale for Canucks fans starts today:

Canucks Promo @CanucksPromo

SOCIAL PRE-SALE: Use "CANUCKS14" to buy your 2014 Young Stars pkg: http://ow.ly/yYQEO

Picked a pair up today, was trying to get beside the bench by the glass but no luck, so went behind the benches instead. It's as good a reason as any to crack out the Gaunce jersey I won last year.

1234995_10151605465837601_1907785217_n.j

First time in a long time we've had the best team at this tournament..

That's what it looks like to me as well. The Flames and Jets might be a bit smaller, but still have some quality skill players, and the Oilers look like they'll be able to play some solid defence but we'll see.

Damn! Just saw the post on the main page. Didn't expect to see Jensen, Corrado and Zalewski involved as well. If only Virtanen heals in time!

Potentially a filthy roster:

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen

Gaunce - McCann - Fox

Zalewski - Cassels - Blomstrand

Petit

Tryamkin - Corrado

Cederholm - Subban

McEneny - Stewart

Liberati

Demko? (unlikely due to school)

Lotz?

The other Canadian teams will have competitive rosters as well, Winnipeg (Ehlers, Morrissey, Petan, Lipon), Calgary (Poirier, Bennett, Klimchuk), and Edmonton (Draisaitl, Musil) all have good rosters. I'm surprised no Californian team got the invite, usually it's the Canadian teams and SJ or LA prior to the Winnipeg franchise. 4 teams, I hope there's still at least 4 games for the Canucks (yes I know that would mean a repeat).

^ Just came to post that, but I guess I'll settle with noting the presale for Canucks fans starts today:

Picked a pair up today, was trying to get beside the bench by the glass but no luck, so went behind the benches instead. It's as good a reason as any to crack out the Gaunce jersey I won last year.

1234995_10151605465837601_1907785217_n.j

You're in Penticton?

Gonna be interesting to see how Ehlers does in this tournament. It's a step up from the Q in quality and size of opponents, so we'll see where he stands. Beyond Morrisey and Petan, I'm not too familiar with Winnipeg's prospects but get the sense they're not too deep. If Ehlers stands out in this competition, it's likely to be on his own merits. If he doesn't, it will be +1 for the Virtanen crowd!

Damn! Just saw the post on the main page. Didn't expect to see Jensen, Corrado and Zalewski involved as well. If only Virtanen heals in time!

Gaunce - McCann - Fox

Petit

Tryamkin - Corrado

Cederholm - Subban

McEneny - Stewart

Liberati

Lotz?

The other Canadian teams will have competitive rosters as well, Winnipeg (Ehlers, Morrissey, Petan, Lipon), Calgary (Poirier, Bennett, Klimchuk), and Edmonton (Draisaitl, Musil) all have good rosters. I'm surprised no Californian team got the invite, usually it's the Canadian teams and SJ or LA prior to the Winnipeg franchise. 4 teams, I hope there's still at least 4 games for the Canucks (yes I know that would mean a repeat).

No NCAA players will be there so Demko will be out, Cannatta will be there though, as will

Will Tryamkin be there? I thought the KHL season starts in early September, it started on Sept. 4th last year.

yeah he most likely won't be there, especially since the press release didn't list him.

You're in Penticton?

Not at the moment, but grew up there and will be heading back for the tourney this year again.

That picture was from the final day of last year's Young Stars. I had tickets to all the other games but was set to head home on the final day when I saw the @VanCanucks twitter they were giving the jersey away. They said I could get it if I came down so I did.

They've hosted it for all 4 years (including this year). They have an excellent facility in the SOEC arena and it's a great area for both weather and surroundings considering it's right beside the Okanagan Hockey School as well. They aren't likely to move it around each year.

It's also a good opportunity for the Canucks and Flames to build there fanbase outside of Vancouver.

Gaunce - McCann - Fox

Petit

Tryamkin - Corrado

Cederholm - Subban

McEneny - Stewart

Liberati

Lotz?

Tryamkin - KHL, Demko - you mentioned, school. Petit is injured, not sure if he'll be able to make it. Add Tommernes, Kenins, Eriksson, Cannata, Mallet (maybe). I think Valk will get a look too along with Borkowski.

If Andersson played one less game he'd be playing. That top 6 is dirty though.

• 5 weeks later...

Just bumping this as we get closer, the local rugby club will be playing for the Saratoga Cup that same weekend so I'm sure I'll end up at their clubhouse up the road from the arena at least on the Saturday (since I know there was talk of a BBQ/get together).

There are going to be some good games. Anyone know a boy eligibility requirements? It is by age, NHL games played, Pro Games played, etc? just curious about the potential roster. I know the big names but I'm curious about guys like Ben Hutton and stuff

There are going to be some good games. Anyone know a boy eligibility requirements? It is by age, NHL games played, Pro Games played, etc? just curious about the potential roster. I know the big names but I'm curious about guys like Ben Hutton and stuff

Archived