The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offical] Garrison traded to Tampa Bay

jono2009

Lots of cap space and picks all of a sudden.

I can live without Garrison. It was frustrating that he never used his size to hit anyone, and his shooting accuracy was frustrating too.

In fairness, who wasn't that an issue for this year? His S% was the same as Elder's and better than Hamhuis and Bieksa's.

Hopefully that's something the new coach can address.

Well no one can say this isn't entertaining!

I am actually looking forward to a refresh new look. I don't expect the Canucks to win alot but should be better hockey. Was boring watching the same ol, same ol the last few seasons.

Bring on McDavid :)

But i agree this wreaks... I feel like JB has something else in mind with all these picks. Time will tell!

Canucks are going to play an up-tempo ,skilled game which means the D have to be mobile and have excellent first passing abilities.

Liked Garrison but that was not his game.

All the best to him.

On a side note,Jim is exciting as he makes fair hockey deals ,not trying to hose everybody he deals with.

I disagree with that a bit. When he first got here, he was inserted on the first unit immediately, but struggled to get his shot on net. I still think it has a lot to do with not having someone to tee it up for him.

In any event, he's been traded, for what obviously looks to be nothing more than a Cap dump. The question is: Why? Are the Aquilini's getting cheap? Is there something else in the works that JB needed that pick for, or are the Canucks doing a Brian Burke-esque housecleaning?

I hope it's a Burke-esque houseclean.

The last time he did that, we walked away with #2 and #3 at the draft.

I hope it's a Burke-esque houseclean.

The last time he did that, we walked away with #2 and #3 at the draft.

Agreed. I remember at the time there was a lot of angst in Canuck-land, but it definitely turned the fortunes of the franchise.

To me this really smells of JB going all in to land the 1st overall from Florida. Packaging a couple/few picks with a roster player.

It smells like 2 first's and a second to Buffalo for the second overall and Reinhart. Lord knows they like their draft picks in Buffalo and GM Jim has a Buffalo connection.

My other thought is with all these higher picks in hand, Benning has said he really likes this draft class so it gives him a lot of options. Perhaps this gives him the flexibility to feel like he can give up a prospect like Shink/Gaunce along with a roster player to do another trade to move up.

The price might be high to do so, but he can restock with his own picks in hand as well as possibly move up.

I disagree with that a bit. When he first got here, he was inserted on the first unit immediately, but struggled to get his shot on net. I still think it has a lot to do with not having someone to tee it up for him.

In any event, he's been traded, for what obviously looks to be nothing more than a Cap dump. The question is: Why? Are the Aquilini's getting cheap? Is there something else in the works that JB needed that pick for, or are the Canucks doing a Brian Burke-esque housecleaning?

Don't forget how much they are paying to certain people that will not be contributing in any way to the on-ice product (Gillis, Torts, Luongo, Ballard, Booth).

As for this deal, I think we're going for either of the top 2 spots, and get there by using some stockpiled draftpicks.

Archived