The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning is the real deal!

canuckels

Im confused about this rumor as well, I dont see where or how he fits on this team.

I don't get it either. Lack turns 27 halfway through next season. When are the Canucks going to know if they have a keeper in him or not? He needs minutes, lots of minutes.

lol this thread really reminds me of the "Mike gillis was god!" thread a few years ago (or something like that)

he was right, fans here are bi polar.... is it too much to ask for the fans to wait until one freaking season before they start to access our GM (and players)?

...or before winding up the incessant despair, hand-wringing, and sobbing.

HAHAHAHAHAHA?

I don't believe the agents of other players will really care how Benning dealt with the Kesler situation. I think they will care how Benning and the Canucks have dealt with the Garrison situation (and no, I am not speaking pro/con to the reasons behind Garrison being moved, just that he was moved and that it was a move instigated by the team). :)

Who cares if Benning wasn't the guy who signed those deals? Garrison signed a deal with the Canucks organization, not Mike Gillis. It's about honouring signed contracts. There's nothing wrong with us liking NTC's or hating them, but we have to acknowledge that NTC's are something which a team uses to adjust their cap structure. They are something which have to be respected, not just cast aside should they become inconvenient.

Benning may have blown a lot of trust that some agents/players might have had in him. As I see it, if a player can make an extra $500,000 (or more) per season by not taking an NTC in their deal, then why wouldn't he do so, particularly if the team he is signing with has a track record of feeling no obligation to honour the NTC in the contract which they signed?

It will be interesting to see what kind of deals Benning will be putting forward on July 1st, and whether or not anyone will be willing to sign here for a "hometown discount", or accept a deal with a reduced dollar amount and a NTC. Or, if Benning even offers any new contracts with NTC's.

regards,

G.

PS - I got that "regards" thing copyrighted. Just saying...

New reality for the NHL forced on all teams and players thanks to the cap, teams trying to make room for players they want to keep, or making cap spaces to add cheaper role players.

It part of the cap reality everyone needs to adjust to what is. Fans, players, agents, GM's, owners, NTC/NMC can be viewed as the "where might you be willing to go if we have to get under the cap clause".

Some time well be required for people to understand this new reality but it is here now well not likely go away.

A asked to be moved get what you can while you can get it cause the longer it goes the lower the value.

I think JB handled correctly, going to miss Kesler but still need to support the ever changing team as it evolves into the next version - might be the version that brings us all a cup.

well we did go to the stanley cup final with them, did you want the fans to call for their heads during the run?

I never tore Gillis or Kesler apart,

People around here want something for nothing, It took NMC's to get everyone signed at price that left room for other pieces,

Gillis took a calculated risk, to assemble a championship roster, he took us to within an inch of the promised land, I remember when he was "God" around here, those same people turned on him the moment things got tough, Everyone wants to crap on him for the goalie situation, the fact was he had a deal. AQUALLINI won't let him do it, just like Aquallini wouldn't let him trade Kesler at the deadline.

I've always maintained Kesler has all my respect and every right to do what he did, his time came and he did what was right for him and his family after years of incredible service to this team.

just like you tore Benning apart for the Kesler trade

Yep, exactly,

I don't flip flop based on where the heard is grazing at the moment.

I never claimed the Benning was great, I had an open mind about him, he made his moves, I don't like them,

Should he win me over in the future I will freely admit I was not a fan to begin with, but I highly doubt that's going to happen.

I just find it bizarre that fans are willfully blind as to the situation this team is in, the owner runs it, when we should be building for the future, we are desperately scrambling to to sign Iginla and Miller. That says something people! That tells you what they have in mind, the whole reason we got such a horrible return for Kes is that the owner INSISTED we get pieces to help us win now.

The same people who mocked the Flames during thier years of denial regarding the situation they were in and what they needed to do about are all Gaga over Benning doing the same thing! Well...Aquallini through Benning,

Everyone mocks Glen Sather and the Ranger, but seem thrilled that we are borrowing from his play book.

This team needed skill badly, and we draft the classic power forward bust, now I can't tell you what kind of career Virt will have but there are certain signs and things failed power forward have in common, Jake has every one of them! He's a boy in a man's body bulling his way through Junior, that's not going to work in the NHL,

I suppose my point is there is a lack of consistency on this board, and that's what I was getting at with my original post.

It is too early to say whether Bennings moves will work out the way we all hope. But such is the nature of the beast. nothing is a certainty. What I like most about Benning though is that he seems to have a real strong vision for the type of team he wants and is concentrating on plugging the holes we actually have. The roster is starting to look balanced again. Not a bunch of left wingers playing right wing as one example. We still need a couple of top 6 wingers and a true offensive dman but hearing he is kicking the tires on a guy like Iginla reinforces that he has a vision and will follow it.

This is the most excited I have been for free agency in a long time. It will be interesting to see just what he does.

Yep, exactly,

I don't flip flop based on where the heard is grazing at the moment.

I never claimed the Benning was great, I had an open mind about him, he made his moves, I don't like them,

Should he win me over in the future I will freely admit I was not a fan to begin with, but I highly doubt that's going to happen.

I just find it bizarre that fans are willfully blind as to the situation this team is in, the owner runs it, when we should be building for the future, we are desperately scrambling to to sign Iginla and Miller. That says something people! That tells you what they have in mind, the whole reason we got such a horrible return for Kes is that the owner INSISTED we get pieces to help us win now.

The same people who mocked the Flames during thier years of denial regarding the situation they were in and what they needed to do about are all Gaga over Benning doing the same thing! Well...Aquallini through Benning,

Everyone mocks Glen Sather and the Ranger, but seem thrilled that we are borrowing from his play book.

This team needed skill badly, and we draft the classic power forward bust, now I can't tell you what kind of career Virt will have but there are certain signs and things failed power forward have in common, Jake has every one of them! He's a boy in a man's body bulling his way through Junior, that's not going to work in the NHL,

I suppose my point is there is a lack of consistency on this board, and that's what I was getting at with my original post.

You do know that Virtanen has an awful lot of skill too, right? We have drafted enough small offense type players already and most end up being busts too. But size and speed along with a great shot? I can live with that and hope the Canucks will improve their development of these young players. That has always been a key part of the problem imo.

Fans in Vancouver will not tolerate a true rebuild. And it will end up hitting the owner's bottom line eventually if they go that route. It is probably the right move hockey wise but business wise it isnt and that is why it will not happen.

The return for Kesler considering all the constraints put on the situation by Kesler himself was actually pretty good.

Benning so far looks like a complete incompetent... way worse than Gillis... not that I thought that was even remotely possible. At one point you think he's going young.. then he goes around and gives away a third for some useless vet. There's no rhyme or reason in this that I can see. All he's done is add some mediocre veterans and a deep down first round pick. Good grief. Talking about planning for mediocrity.

Reading this post, and others' chastising Benning already, made me feel the way I did watching The Wonder Years, being embarrassed for Kevin Arnold. Vancouver HAS to have a top 5 dumbest fan base in the league. So glad you idiots don't run the team haha goodness me!

Short of fleecing team after team in trades, and then cruising to the stanley cup is just not enough for some of you pin-heads!

Notable in their absence today are Jordan Schroeder,David Booth,Jason Garrison and two franchise goalies.

Maximum spending by owners and multiple gifts of ' home-town discount ' advantage does not replicate managerial expertise in the most important aspect of running a team and that is proper player selection.

This might be premature, but I have a strong feeling JB will at leasst be a nomaniee for GM of the year book it.

I don't think it is premature at all. Ask the poor sucker from Anaheim who won it this year how it feels to be taken by JB like he was!

The majority of the hockey world seems to like the new direction.

A team that can't score and a PP that is last in the NHL and has a coach that is hated by the team and the league is a much better management style.

The gameplan hasn't changed at all... and that's trade the future for the present. Benning is obviously a more knowledgable GM but he's operating under the same instructions that Gillis did. i.e. "give us one round and we're happy... don't give us a round and you're gone."

The gameplan hasn't changed at all... and that's trade the future for the present. Benning is obviously a more knowledgable GM but he's operating under the same instructions that Gillis did. i.e. "give us one round and we're happy... don't give us a round and you're gone."

go back to your bridge troll

Archived