The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Day In History Will Forever Be Known As Jim Benning Day

Gstank29

I know if maybe be premature but at least to me, this day will forever be known as the day Benning made his first real mark as the GM of the Vancouver Canucks, long live Benning!

1) First off, trading that cancer of a teammate who really only had two teams on his list and still being able to come out even

Trade was

ANA

Kesler

Van 2015 3rd

Van

Bonino

Sbisa

24th overall pick (Jared McCann)

85th pick (turned into Derek Dorsett)

2) Trading Garrisons contract (cap hit at 4.6 million) for the next 4 season for a mid second round drafted pick. (I'll post the pick later)

FInal Trade

TB

Garrison

Costello

2015 7th round pick

Van

2nd rounder (50th overall: Traded To LA for Linden Vey)

3) Acquiring the multitude of draft pick that will help the team restock the farm system

(24th overall, 50th overall, On top of our picks, picks will be posted here)

6th Overall: Jake Virtanen

24th Overall: Jared McCann

36th Overall: Thatcher Demko

50th Overall: Traded to LA for Linden Vey

66th Overall: Nikita Tryamkin

4) Forever winning the heart of Canucks fans by getting rid of not 1 but 2 of the many no trade clause we have acquired though the Gillies Era.

I know there going to be people who are upset with what we got in return for both Garrison and Kesler. But I'm sure well will look back at this day and say "Wow Benning and Linden really did a great job, getting this team back on track" even if we don't make the playoffs next year, which is probably whats going to happen.

5) On top making this the most exciting offseason in Canucks history, Benning has to go add a Vezina winning goalie (Miller) and a legitimate top 6 forward (Vrbata) to play with the Sedin and all on a great term and decent Cap hit.

The Face Of the Franchise

benningfirstday.jpg

Long Live Benning

These trades are not sexy. If they had to be done, then so be it but they are at exciting as oat bran.

The cap relief is not interesting yet as we have no idea how it will be spent and the picks are unknown till they pan out.

Nothing wrong with being content but I don't get why some here are dancing like he's the second coming. We have at least 4 crappy years ahead. I wonder how many of you will be left

From my perspective we've not added much to our prospect pool, but upgraded on Garrison and can ice Derek Dogsh*t instead of Tostitos.

Meanwhile the 2nd line is....well we don't have one at all. It's a bold strategy, lets see how it works out.

I really think people are underestimating this team for potential. If Benning continues this path of moves, and it really sounds like other GMs around the NHL, are now willing to work with the Canucks new Management which is a good sign. Benning could add some more here and there, get a good back stop, this team could easily make the playoffs. Just finding the right pieces is all that needs to be done, and Benning has given himself lots of room for that!

The moves will turn out to be great good or bad. But the man clearly has a olan and all trades are pointing toward that plan. And he is not more worried about protecting his ass like gillis had to be due to so many missteps. Benning will build the team with players who want to be here and that is a great start.

I really think people are underestimating this team for potential. If Benning continues this path of moves, and it really sounds like other GMs around the NHL, are now willing to work with the Canucks new Management which is a good sign. Benning could add some more here and there, get a good back stop, this team could easily make the playoffs. Just finding the right pieces is all that needs to be done, and Benning has given himself lots of room for that!

I don't you'll find a single GM in this league unwilling to take on quality players for half of what their worth.

No offense but anyone following the day knows what happened. We don't need a recap. We will see what happens. No need to create a Provincial holiday just yet.

It's more for the people who will look at this in a few days.

Deep down, I think we all knew that Kesler's eventual departure from this city would not be pretty. Giving that guy a NTC was absolutely the worst thing we could have done. But, to be fair, it was probably a sticking point for the me first attitude of Kesler. We probably couldn't have signed him otherwise.

After letting the trade settle in for a few hours, I'm just happy we got something half decent for him. We lost the trade, no doubt, but at least we got something and we can all move on.

Good luck to Anaheim in 2 years when Kesler is asking for $12m like his good buddy Kane.

Archived