The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 08/07/2018 at 8:02 PM, 70seven said:

Some vids out there, but chatting with a buddy yesterday who’s friends with friends of Pavel Barber (skills coach).

Says Virtanen is working extremely hard and seeing significant progress within his edgework and stick skills....  

My buddy isn’t a Nucks fan, but says word making the rounds in the hockey community is to expect a breakout season from Virtanen, from those working with him this offseason.

Not that it means much, but it’s great to see him working so hard on becoming that top 6 scoring threat, and that word is spreading quickly amongst the inner circles. 

Cheers 77.... Good story +1

On July 7, 2018 at 11:40 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

I think by the time Jake is 24, Canucks will be back to being a perennial playoff team and THAT is where having Jake Virtanen will pay the most dividends.   He is simply constructed to be a playoff beast.  Clearly he has not had the opportunity to prove that but the type of hockey played after game 82 is what I believe (strongly) that will be his true "wow, wish we had that guy on OUR team" moment.

I hope he adds more big hits to his game, he can knock almost anyone down...

Like the way he played in  first prospects game against Edmonton....

Really likes Jakes game now using his speed more confidence, he is only 21 we cannot trade this young asset..

• Upvote 2

Where is all this trade talk coming from? 

I would be heart broken if we traded him. 

With all this junk going on with the league getting smaller and faster, Jake is exactly what I want to see.  

A big dude, who can hit like a truck, and is just as fast as the little fellas.  

In a couple years, Jake is going to be an absolute beast who can pot you 20 goals, kill penalties, and can blow up the crowd with a massive hit or wicked snipe show. 

He will be the perfect 2nd, 3rd line guy. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Where is all this trade talk coming from? 

I would be heart broken if we traded him. 

With all this junk going on with the league getting smaller and faster, Jake is exactly what I want to see.  

A big dude, who can hit like a truck, and is just as fast as the little fellas.  

In a couple years, Jake is going to be an absolute beast who can pot you 20 goals, kill penalties, and can blow up the crowd with a massive hit or wicked snipe show. 

He will be the perfect 2nd, 3rd line guy. 

What trade talk? :huh:

Edited by Undrafted
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, bree2 said:

why is it so quiet about resigning Jake? kind of not fair to him, keeping him on a hook like this, heard stecher is very close to resigning, making jake the last one . anyone heard anything on this!

Just because we haven't heard anything it doesn't mean nothing is happening with Jake. Theres no proof anyone is "keeping him on the hook". 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bree2 said:

why is it so quiet about resigning Jake? kind of not fair to him, keeping him on a hook like this, heard stecher is very close to resigning, making jake the last one . anyone heard anything on this!

Just because fans and media aren't being informed about contract negotiations, doesn't mean that Virtanen is being kept in the dark. 

• Upvote 1

I'm really hoping that JB takes a gamble and signs Virt to a 4 yr 10 million deal.  I think he breaks out in a big way this year, and gets some quality PP time.  Guy is only 21 and had definitely had a rough development curve.  I fully expect that this year it all comes together, and  he puts up 20 goals/35-40 points.  I think he has potential to be a 50-60 point power forward in a few years.  I get  a 4 year deal is a gamble, but could payoff huge in year 3 and 4.

my thought on jake is, he may be perfect as the speed and muscle, riding shotgun for pettersson and dahlen. then bo could stay with brock and have gadj as their muscle. 

love to see leipsic, gaudette and lind together. jake wouldn't have to think too much. just get in on the forecheck, get the puck to the swedes and then get in front of the net. the new burrows.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Watching that video, only makes me think that when Jake is 25-26, he is going to be a wrecking ball......keep your heads up guys!

He will be the guy that we really love in the playoffs! tough fast and skilled! 

Maybe we've been going about this all wrong.

Dahlen-Pettersson-Virtanen   Skill with speed, size and toughness

Goldy-Bo-Boeser

Leipsic-Gaudette-Lind

Gadjovich-MacEwen-Jasek/Palmu

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Stecher

Tryamkin-Chatfield

Demko

Dipietro

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Loved watching Kronwall get Kronwalled by Jake...now only if Jake brought this to the rink nearly every game vs. some of the games and the whole game instead of part of the game.

Bold prediction...this will be a break out year for Virtanen.  He puts it together and rises up the depth chart, forcing Green to move Pettersson to centre ahead of schedule.