The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

22 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

You raise a great point about coachability. Some criticisms regarding Jake predraft and after were about his character / partying etc. 

Whenever i hear him in interviews, I'm so glad that people were either off base or he has matured and bought in to be a true pro. He is always very humble in his interviews talking about what he has to work on, how he still has a long way to go etc. 

The Jake we are seeing is just the beginning. 

He's getting late game ice time now and even OT time. He is understanding that hard work and focus on 2 way play will make him a better player. The coaches don't have a vendetta against him and now he sees that he is rewarded when playing well. 

IMHO Jake's coachability has been demonstrated by his learning curve in both Utica and Vancouver. As you said his upward climb has a ways to go. Very encouraged by his progress. 

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Didn't Jake just sign a 2 year bridge deal this summer?  He is under contract for this year and next.

Ah, you're right. I think I was mixed up with someone else. It might not be fair to sign him to back-to-back bridge deals. He'll probably get a longer term deal next time.

I like to see that Jake has had a couple really good passes per game for the last number of games. He’ll never be a distributor but it adds to his overall game. If he keeps it up teams won’t be able to defend him as a shot only player which will help open up his time and space. 

Jake had his chance to step up and smash kokacrap but he, like the rest of the team, turned the other cheek.

Just like a sedin....turn that cheek...over...and over..and over...and then ask marchand to let him know when he is done punching. Spineless.

PS: I do love the Sedins except for their "turn the other cheek" crap expecting these idiot refs to actually do their jobs. The Sedins showed that the league is corrupt and the refs are idiots in our Cup run. Pathetic.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Jake had his chance to step up and smash kokacrap but he, like the rest of the team, turned the other cheek.

Just like a sedin....turn that cheek...over...and over..and over...and then ask marchand to let him know when he is done punching. Spineless.

PS: I do love the Sedins except for their "turn the other cheek" crap expecting these idiot refs to actually do their jobs. The Sedins showed that the league is corrupt and the refs are idiots in our Cup run. Pathetic.

Dawg why are you like this

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You didn't see Granny give him a butt end in the face?  Took a penalty for it, but I didn't mind.

He has been very impressive lately.  He has made some really fantastic passes.  Sent Granlund on a breakaway, and the pass to Horvat....He looks to be significantly growing as a player.  He is already one of 4 players on the team that can consistently get a shot on net instead of having it instantly blocked.  His defensive game is excellent especially his ability to steal pucks.  I would like to see him deke the goalie more than shoot on breaks, but I am starting to feel like if you give him two years; he will be top 3 player on the team.  Brock has a ridiculously lethal shot, but he is pretty much useless otherwise.  Virtanen at this point if he keeps developing can surpass him. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

When Granlund is the player to send the message........

Not quite sure what the ........ means here. Are you implying that only certain designated tough guys are permitted/expected to stand up for their team mates? I guess you did not approve a few years ago when 160 pound Miller stood up for I think it was Stecher?

Are you suggesting that Guddy should have squashed this much smaller 18 year old rookie? Or, since this is Jake's thread, you were perhaps expecting Jake to beat him up?

26 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

JV horrible shot attempts on PP and at end of game, cost us a PP and lost the puck at end of game with extra attacker. He needs to sit and reset, he's gotta stop the panic shooting / give aways.

What a stupid, sleazy post. Do you actually expect any of the Canuck fans who watch Jake play to take this mindless drivel seriously?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

He's a little snakebitten atm but like the posts above me have already acknowledged this guy seems to be bringing it every night. Only a matter of time before he pots one home again. If he can finish the season around 30Ish points that would be great. A couple of more seasons and hopefully he'll get to the point where he'll start elevating his game. 

A player i've used before and will continue use as benchmark for what I think Virtanen's career could look like is Scott Hartnell. He's certainly on a similar career trajectory.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not quite sure what the ........ means here.

It's not a strike against Granlund at all. He's proven to be indispensable to this team, and possesses far more different attributes than many realize. Definitely good on him for doing what needed to be done.

Are you implying that only certain designated tough guys are permitted/expected to stand up for their team mates?

Not at all, but feel free to assume that if it fills your boots. Certain players, due to their physical attributes and/or mental aggressiveness are more suited for that type of activity, making them capable of engaging in, and managing physical altercations.

I guess you did not approve a few years ago when 160 pound Miller stood up for I think it was Stecher?

Again, an assumption, and not a very good one at that. What Miller did for Stecher was absolutely commendable, and showed what a leader he is on the ice. However, when a goalie, encumbered by equipment, jumps in to defend a player versus other teammates (far less encumber by equipment), there is a problem.

Are you suggesting that Guddy should have squashed this much smaller 18 year old rookie? Or, since this is Jake's thread, you were perhaps expecting Jake to beat him up?

Either of those players could have later on in the game, taken the body to Kotanamie with aplomb, to thank him for injuring Petterson, as their size, weight, and physical capabilities would make the hits that much more effective than Granlund's. At least Markus did something.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 1

To me, anyway, it seems Jake has regressed back to his old ways since scoring his 11th goal, to beat his old record. I watched him the last couple of games, in NJ he looked sluggish and last night he was doing the old "skate like the wind, do it all himself, try a wrap around". He did make one noticeable good pass, but something doesn't seem right with him.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

To me, anyway, it seems Jake has regressed back to his old ways since scoring his 11th goal, to beat his old record. I watched him the last couple of games, in NJ he looked sluggish and last night he was doing the old "skate like the wind, do it all himself, try a wrap around". He did make one noticeable good pass, but something doesn't seem right with him.

If you are noticing that about Jake then what about Bo? 

If by the end of this season you had been told in September that Jake would be a solid 3rd liner and had PP time with TOI on the top 6 would you have believed it? I doubt it and I will admit as a Jake supporter I would have been very happy as a 3rd line regular. The thing I like about Jake most is that is game awareness has really spiked up. He does not hurt the team anywhere near as often. All sorts of potential and next season I think we really see that.