The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Jake-Bo-Gagner would be a line I'd like to see on the powerplay, or even strength I guess. Bo and Jake's speed/shot on the rush/forecheck with Gagner's ability to make a play in the offensive zone could be a winning combination. That'd make room for the other lines to be:

Baer-Granny-Boeser 

Burm-Sutter-Dorsett

Sedins-Vanek

Edited by IBacon Strips

I thought the team looked slow tonight.  They really missed Jake's speed tonight.  I would like to see Jake play with Bo & Baer.  They have had some success in the past and they all play with speed as well.

Good piece on how well Jake has played despite limited minutes (and not scoring): 

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/10/20/greens-move-your-feet-credo-has-virtanen-providing-value-by-drawing-penalties/

Focuses on his ability to draw penalties. But also highlights several other areas where he's providing value.

Have to just excuse the little shot the article takes at Dorsett (and it's kinda funny anyway).

Otherwise, pretty interesting look at some of the value Jake brings on the ice that isn't always obvious at first blush.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Virtanen has played very well so far in camp and through the 6 games he has been in.  I feel that as the season goes on, he will be playing a much bigger role in terms of minutes and  offensive contribution.  I don't think that 25-30 points this year, and 40-50 points next year is entirely unreasonable.  

On 10/20/2017 at 4:00 PM, The 5th Line said:

His forechecking ability is actually quite incredible, he gains so much ground in such a short period he really surprises the opponent and uses his long stick to disrupt passes constantly.  

I always felt like he had the tools to be an elite forechecker. He doesn't have the size of Ritchie, who can bully his way around, and he doesn't have the skill of Ehlers, who is a consistent offensive threat.

What he does have a bit of size and is a very good skater. The makings of possibly a better version of Hansen. That's the type of player you want to compliment your top offensive stars.

Hopefully, if he keeps up his play he can gain confidence offensively and start producing some goals. 

It isn't Nylander or Ehlers but it is better than nothing.

I always thought that people who got angry at Ferraro for comparing Jake to Hansen were drastically underselling how valuable that type of player can be in your top six.

Sure, it might not have been what you'd ideally want in the top ten of a draft, but it's the type of player that helps you win games.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, BananaMash said:

I always thought that people who got angry at Ferraro for comparing Jake to Hansen were drastically underselling how valuable that type of player can be in your top six.

Sure, it might not have been what you'd ideally want in the top ten of a draft, but it's the type of player that helps you win games.

I have always questioned the coaching Virtanen got in Junior. Yes, a 50 goal scorer but his game always looked out of synch. To put it more bluntly he looked like a floater. Green looks like he has given Virtanen more direction. 

Jannik hansens perennial playoff breakaway goals and otherwise stepping up to the plate when it mattered between 09 and 11 was more valuable than any high scoring softie during the regular season (if we can actually make it to the playoffs lol)

Jake's built for playoff hockey. That's why I've been saying they're 'saving him'.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Took almost 1000 pages (lol) but Jake is finally arriving.  Meanwhile, Bennett in NHL and Dal Colle in AHL both pointless so far, and MDC yet to even play an NHL game.

wonder what Isles fans are wondering whether they should have taken Virtanen instead of Da Colle. Bennett seems to have regressed. Yikes. 

• Upvote 1

What are some realistic expectations for Virtanen this season? 

IMO: 15g 10a 25-30ish points. If Virtanen plays with the Sedins all year and gets more PP time, I think 20 goals and 10 assists is quite possible. His speed and size will be very useful with the Sedins. 

Virts could have easily had a hattrick this game but Howard was stellar.

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

wonder what Isles fans are wondering whether they should have taken Virtanen instead of Da Colle. Bennett seems to have regressed. Yikes. 

MDC was the last of the consensus top-5 that year, so anything else is hindsight.  The way the Habs are going, wonder if the Bennett-for-Galchenyuk rumours start up again.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Took almost 1000 pages (lol) but Jake is finally arriving.  Meanwhile, Bennett in NHL and Dal Colle in AHL both pointless so far, and MDC yet to even play an NHL game.

That's elite balance right there.

The guy barely moves.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I've said this so many times before but whoever the Isles pick in the top 10 they for some reason become busts. 

I remember Bennett being labeled the best center of the draft? Loool