The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

10 hours ago, Byrix said:

Give them Gudbransson for Bennett

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That makes literally no sense at all.

Wow, apparently there still some folks foolishly clinging to the stupid sentiment that Guddy can't play hockey :lol:

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Wow, apparently there still some folks foolishly clinging to the stupid sentiment that Guddy can't play hockey :lol:

Not sure what the motivating factor is behind that kind of thinking considering how well Gudbranson has stabilized the defence, and how differently teams play the Canucks with him on the ice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure what the motivating factor is behind that kind of thinking considering how well Gudbranson has stabilized the defence, and how differently teams play the Canucks with him on the ice.

I'm hoping for sarcasm, but....

3 hours ago, Chicken. said:

virtanen-hit-2.gif

Nice bit of interference there?

But yeah, solid as a rock! 

Kudo's to those, also, who prognosticated that Jake would be a good match with the Twins.  I did not think he could cycle with them. Instead, he helps get their line moving up ice! Further, it is a nice reduced role for them. A few less minutes. But mentor Jake...

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Nice bit of interference there?

But yeah, solid as a rock! 

Kudo's to those, also, who prognosticated that Jake would be a good match with the Twins.  I did not think he could cycle with them. Instead, he helps get their line moving up ice! Further, it is a nice reduced role for them. A few less minutes. But mentor Jake...

Yeah, that was the hit he got suspended for.. definitely a bit late. I was just showing the other poster that he does know how to play with 'an edge' but sometimes goes over the line. I like his game so far this year he's letting the hits come to him rather than going out of his way looking for it.

Never questioned this kids will to succeed.. everyone matures at a different pace it's not easy being a pro. I think his  style will be invaluable going forward.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Darius71 said:

I have a quite a few "in laws" and friends who are flames fans (unfortunately) and i got sick of hearing from them about how Jake is a bust...meanwhile in Calgary the 18 year old (yeah I know he is older than that) phenom Bennett is looking worse every year.  Ive watched him play quite a few times, he looks like a grinder and is guilty of lacking that IQ that everyone said Jake lacked.  Flames called up Jankowski today and many lames fans are hoping Jankowski replaces Bennett at center.

Definitely sounds like he's into the Baertschi/Granlund needs-a-change-of-scenery rut.  He started off well as the infamous 18YO but something went off the rails.  Starting to become a pattern with the Flames -- Poirier, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk, etc.  Jankowski's looking good, but then again he's been developed in college, not the Flames' system.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I was kidding. I think Jake is awesome as well. Was this the 1040 post game show? Who was running it?

Yeah it was during the 1040 post game show towards the end. It sounded like some random dude just being an ass- he hung up straight away and they moved on to the next caller. 

Edited by Brouhaha

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Kudo's to those, also, who prognosticated that Jake would be a good match with the Twins.  I did not think he could cycle with them. 

So far... he hasn't.

They've made some nice plays off the rush but they have done next to nothing on the cycle. Now Jake may figure that part out to some degree but he's WAY more of a North/South player than they are. His strengths don't particularly gel entirely well with playing the cycle game.

Personally, I'd rather see Jake with Horvat (and Granlund) but for now, so long as the team's playing well and he/the twins are getting scoring chances, it probably doesn't matter :lol:

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So far... he hasn't.

They've made some nice plays off the rush but they have done next to nothing on the cycle. Now Jake may figure that part out to some degree but he's WAY more of a North/South player than they are. His strengths don't particularly gel entirely well with playing the cycle game.

Personally, I'd rather see Jake with Horvat (and Granlund) but for now, so long as the team's playing well and he/the twins are getting scoring chances, it probably doesn't matter :lol:

I don't see how thats all that different from the Hansen experiment. And who cares at this point, it seems like everyone is ether having fun playing it or watching it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

He's actually been bouncing people around like this since his Junior days, and I love it.  Right now he is still learning the way of the NHL.  Once he gets use to the flow of the game, we will see more of him sending other guys air born.

He's got more important things to focus on right now. Being distracted by other teams agitators, who will likely follow him around all game if he plays like that, is not one of them.

It's great that he has that ability in his toolbox. It means in games where he may not be playing his best offensively, he can make an impact in other ways.

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

so far he looks like he belongs and plays well which we all have been waiting for

and also agree he is still learning and once he gets his roile and what other teams are going to be like he will mature into a good NHL player for years to come

I think it shows the importance of having a coach that can send a clear message and get players to buy in.

Judging from last season it didn't sound like him and Willie communicated that well.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think it shows the importance of having a coach that can send a clear message and get players to buy in.

Judging from last season it didn't sound like him and Willie communicated that well.

exactly and so far Jake took it to heart and bared down to do what he had to.

the message has to be sent in a way that motivates the kids

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't see how thats all that different from the Hansen experiment. And who cares at this point, it seems like everyone is ether having fun playing it or watching it. 

Hansen was better on the cycle (granted with a lot more experience).

But yup, the team's 'working' right now as is, so may as well let it ride :lol:

58 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hansen was better on the cycle (granted with a lot more experience).

But yup, the team's 'working' right now as is, so may as well let it ride :lol:

I dunno, really? I'd have to go back and watch the video. Seems to me the chatter about Hansen was the speed and puck retrieval. I don't really want Jake to learn to play on their cycle game, its not going to be around long enough. 

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno, really? I'd have to go back and watch the video. Seems to me the chatter about Hansen was the speed and puck retrieval. I don't really want Jake to learn to play on their cycle game, its not going to be around long enough. 

Speed and puck retrieval, absolutely. But he also had learned how to give and go, where to be vs where the puck is, the twins are etc and the right time to head to the corner for the puck, the front of the net or, 'oh #$@&!, get on it back on defense. 

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Speed and puck retrieval, absolutely. But he also had learned how to give and go, where to be vs where the puck is, the twins are etc and the right time to head to the corner for the puck, the front of the net or, 'oh #$@&!, get on it back on defense. 

Hansen's game was speed on the forecheck and tenacious puck retrieval, but he learned to anticipate where the twins would be "cycling" the puck to and where to be when not hounding the puck by watching them for years.

Jake is a far more offensively minded player than Hansen was at the same age. Jake's shot and play are waaayyyy heavier.

The one thing I've been wanting / waiting to see from Jake is more crashing the net. I know he has a killer shot, but he should use his strength more often on the rush and actually drive the net. Like Mayray and Booth did, except with Jake's power and shot.

The twins would be making hay from juicy rebound's created by Jake driving a little deeper before shooting low. Hell, he mind ever dangle if he gets in tight and really wow us.

• Upvote 2