The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Hansen's game was speed on the forecheck and tenacious puck retrieval, but he learned to anticipate where the twins would be "cycling" the puck to and where to be when not hounding the puck by watching them for years.

Jake is a far more offensively minded player than Hansen was at the same age. Jake's shot and play are waaayyyy heavier.

Yeah, as I said earlier, Hansen had the benefit of WAY more experience to help him learn to cycle with the twins.

Virtanen likely doesn't have the time. That doesn't mean he doesn't have the capacity to eventually be as good, or better, of a player than Hansen became. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2017 at 4:18 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ok, perfect, so you think if a player has more career total goals and games played then they are further ahead in their development....

There for using that logic i guess we can conclude that Yakupov is further ahead in development than Teravainen?  Both drafted in 2011. Yak has more goals and games played then Teravainen... Of course we all know that is wrong.

If you really want to compare where players are at in terms of development it's best to use the most recent stats for comparison, not career total, because development isn't always forward progression, players stall and regress all the time.  And in this case if we compared both Yakupov and Teravainen's most recent year we'd see that in the 2017-18 season, Yak was a healthy scratch most of the time and only played 40 games, 3 goals and 9 points where, Teravainen played 81 games, 15 goals and 41 points.  

Now using the most recent stats along with context around them we can get a much more accurate picture. Hence why it's just plain dumb to keep stating that.  

Because incorrect information tends to spread on this forum.  for example see the poster above.  

So, is Yakupov further ahead in his development than Teravainen?

With only a single point handed out this game, not hard to guess which Canuck moved up the all-time scoring list today:

246.  Shane O'Brien D 141 2 16 18
247.  Jake Virtanen RW 73 9 8 17
247.  Jeff Tambellini LW 62 9 8 17
249.  Mike Keane RW 64 8 9 17
250.  Jimmy Carson C 34 7 10 17
251.  Colin Campbell D 89 1 16 17
252.  Rick Rypien C 119 9 7 16
252.  Tony Currie RW 38 9 7 16
  • Upvote 2

On 10/23/2017 at 5:51 PM, DeNiro said:

He's got more important things to focus on right now. Being distracted by other teams agitators, who will likely follow him around all game if he plays like that, is not one of them.

It's great that he has that ability in his toolbox. It means in games where he may not be playing his best offensively, he can make an impact in other ways.

Exactly, he doesn't need to go 'looking' for big hits. Just let them come to him. He needs to establish himself as a clean hitter, to avoid getting 

labeled  (by the eastern media). Slow and steady wins the race, development wise that is. I'm sure teams know when he's out there now.

Nobody wants the Big Tuna smash Lol.

On 24/10/2017 at 4:49 AM, aGENT said:

Yeah, as I said earlier, Hansen had the benefit of WAY more experience to help him learn to cycle with the twins.

Virtanen likely doesn't have the time. That doesn't mean he doesn't have the capacity to eventually be as good, or better, of a player than Hansen became. 

Have no doubt JV will become a better player then Hansen... He has more strength than Hansen ever did. All he needs to learn is when to use it most effectively.

Took Hansen a fair old time to become, what people loved him for.

Edited by spook007

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not calling people out as much as saying same thing for past number of seasons, be patient!   Skill and talent along with development often trumps all the angst people have when a draft pick isn't immediately a star.   

This player has had all the natural talent in the world, a truly unique package of size, skill and aggression, that just needed some time to gel.   At some point isn't that enough to acknowledge that slamming him prior was premature?   

No, because obviously nowhere at no point in time did anyone say he was going to bust, was never going to make it; was a wasted pick or anything of the sort.

Simply put, like hell anyone will admit they were wrong

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Bewildered as to how 2 Gs, 1 A is enough for anyone to eat crow. 

I think it's pretty safe to say that he has surpassed most people's expectations this year so far through camp and the early season.  His point totals may not stand out right now, but the way that he is impacting games, and using his skill set at the NHL level have.  Plenty of people wrote him off as a bust before this season, and he has at the very least shown potential to be a legit power forward in this league.  

Virtanen is the the most polarizing prospect we have had since the Sedins, and obviously some very bold and conclusive statements were made about him.  It has been great to see him start to prove some people wrong.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

No, because obviously nowhere at no point in time did anyone say he was going to bust, was never going to make it; was a wasted pick or anything of the sort.

Simply put, like hell anyone will admit they were wrong

I'll assume that was sarcasm, as some very much said he was already a bust and that it was a blown pick.  What else was in the past 973 pages, lol.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He does have an extremely unique package, anybody with a set of eye balls can see that and I have no problems admitting that I was wrong but i'm not going to do that after one 2 game goal scoring streak.  He needs to prove that he can bring this type of play on a night to night basis.  

Hidden message?

• Upvote 3