avelanch

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Who's faster? 

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

If they were to race 10 times, I'd bet McDavid would win 7 or 8 times, but Virtanen isn't too far behind probably.

Yeah, based on the race from the Canucks skill competition and McDavid's time at the All-star competition, I would argue their speed difference is negligible. Virtanen had a cape on, but still was within McDavid territory. Also, the game where McDavid was a few steps ahead of Virtanen, albeit potentially a little tired, and lost a foot race against a fresh Virtanen.

• Upvote 2

On 2018-04-20 at 10:02 PM, dougieL said:

I don't see how anyone sees Jake as anything other than a top 6 forward next year (especially on this team) and the years to come. The combination of speed and size is absolutely elite. He creates so much space and changes the momentum of the game even if he doesn't score on as many chances as we would like. If he has a good summer working on his finish, the potential is enormous. Just watching these playoffs should give you a sense that he is the type of player that would thrive in the playoffs. With the way that Nylander has disappeared, I'm sure people are less upset about the Canucks passing on him. Virtanen can contribute to a tight-checking physical series in ways that players like Ehlers and Nylander simply cannot. But he can also break the game open with his speed. These two aspects are what make Jake unique and such a valuable asset, especially come playoff time (whenever it is that we make it).

I would love nothing more than to agree with you, but inconsistency has plagued him early in his career.

I've said in other posts how painful it is to watch him get so close to realizing his talent then falling short.

He needs to improve his stick work in close, his shooting accuracy, and being a consistent physical threat every time he's on the ice.

I'm looking for improvements in all three areas next season and am expecting a breakout year.

I must, also, remind myself that he's only 21 and has lots of time to develop. 

• Like 1

He was indeed infuriating to watch, but the reason I am so encouraged is how much progress he made in the last few weeks of the season. During that period, at least for me, he suddenly became less and less frustrating to watch. I totally agree that his shot accuracy needs major work; he did mention in his year-end interview that he would work on his hands a lot in the summer. So at least he knows what he needs to work on.

To another point - I feel he should be afforded more time than other players to develop. The reason is because he needs to learn more aspects of the game than a player whose responsibility it is just to score. As you mentioned, he also has to learn how/when to be physical. I suspect it takes longer to put together a power forward game...but if he is able to do it, our patience will be rewarded in spades...finger crossed!

• Hydration 1

We should try Jake on the PK next year, I bet he's good for a few shorties.

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

If they were to race 10 times, I'd bet McDavid would win 7 or 8 times, but Virtanen isn't too far behind probably.

Depends on what they were racing for and who was chasing them.   

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It would probably back off the opponents point men, much like when Bure was killing penalties. Especially if Jake can improve his shot this summer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

In a straight line, Jake is way faster.

once around the rink, with corners, they are likely dead even.

run them at high speed into each other, and Jake friggin’ destroys McDavid. 

Jake skates much faster on the backcheck than McDavid - but then again, so does pretty much every other NHL player.    McDavid is brilliantly fast going towards another team's goal where he may get a point but going the other direction it is like he is skating in sand.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Jake skates much faster on the backcheck than McDavid - but then again, so does pretty much every other NHL player.    McDavid is brilliantly fast going towards another team's goal where he may get a point but going the other direction it is like he is skating in sand.

That lack of commitment to all three zones must pass off his team mates, no?  

Just now, Alflives said:

That lack of commitment to all three zones must pass off his team mates, no?  

Leading by example.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Only problem I have with Jake defensively is sometimes he gets caught watching the play. He is generally in the right spot, but he has to keep active or he risks falling asleep. Same with the offensive zone. If he's not constantly in the action he starts to become a spectator. His back check is the best on the team though. For sure. His speed surprises a lot of opposing players.

22 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Only problem I have with Jake defensively is sometimes he gets caught watching the play. He is generally in the right spot, but he has to keep active or he risks falling asleep. Same with the offensive zone. If he's not constantly in the action he starts to become a spectator. His back check is the best on the team though. For sure. His speed surprises a lot of opposing players.

I'd like him to be trained to be a pk'er because Bo has been wasted on it. I think Jake can learn to block shots and is big enough for crease battles

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd like him to be trained to be a pk'er because Bo has been wasted on it. I think Jake can learn to block shots and is big enough for crease battles

Jake has the tools to be groomed for a lot of things. I hope he gets groomed to be a powerplay force before PK though. He has a big body, a decent shot, and is a very underrated passer. I remember one pass he made behind the goal line that was picture perfect. Of course that was one instance but he can maybe replicate it. :P 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Jake has the tools to be groomed for a lot of things. I hope he gets groomed to be a powerplay force before PK though. He has a big body, a decent shot, and is a very underrated passer. I remember one pass he made behind the goal line that was picture perfect. Of course that was one instance but he can maybe replicate it. :P 

Yes for sure on offense, maybe with the twins gone he can get a few more looks on the PP. But I like hat he's young enough o train as a role player if he doesn't break the 20 goal mark.

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes for sure on offense, maybe with the twins gone he can get a few more looks on the PP. But I like hat he's young enough o train as a role player if he doesn't break the 20 goal mark.

Very true. Looks like Greener wants Jake to be more of a PKer type guy with the way he deployed Jake too. Played him a lot with Sutter early before injuries hit. They looked good too. 56% defensive zone starts for Jake on the season. That's either a lot of trust in him or grooming. Or even both.

But please get him out in OT more at LEAST. There's no excuse to not have him there. He is by far our quickest skater. Watching him torch, a somewhat tired, McDavid says all it needs to say.

• Like 1

McDavid is faster but Jake moves at a similar rate of speed with over 30 extra lbs behind him. Its the difference between someone throwing a shoe at you and someone throwing a brick.

• Upvote 1

I'm excited to see Jake work on his offense this summer of off-season training, and hoping that he takes his training seriously. to see him regress and taking it "easy" would be concerning. 

I'd like to see Green give Jake more o-zone starts, if he can get his shot up to speed, and even more wicked, he can score 20 easily this upcoming season. 

Comparing Virtanen to McDavid is worse than comparing Linden to Gretzky (Linden was at least established and producing)

What is the point?

Not one GM would take Virtanen over McDavid

Jake may turn out useful for the Canucks

He will never be near as good as McDavid

Let's see who Team Canada picks for the team and who you cheer for

A Bug and a 911 will both break the speed limit

One is a superior Auto

(Oh, but a Bug gets better mileage)

• Hydration 2
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm excited to see Jake work on his offense this summer of off-season training, and hoping that he takes his training seriously. to see him regress and taking it "easy" would be concerning. 

I'd like to see Green give Jake more o-zone starts, if he can get his shot up to speed, and even more wicked, he can score 20 easily this upcoming season. 

baDA5J7jake.gif