The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 hours ago, combover said:

I like to see virtanen moved to the sutter Dorsset line and regain some of the physical play, the sedin line help him regain some confindence but to be effective he needs to be using his size and ability to hit.

He seems almost wasted on the older slower sedin line that just wants to play with both of them below the goal line.

He was drafted as a nard nosed physical potential power forward we don’t want him turning into Pyatt. 

Totally agree

granlund is struggling for points so switch it up

id like to see

baer-bo-brock

vanek-granlund-gagne

virtanen-sutter-dorsett

sedin-sedin-guance 

i think the sedins and guance would actually fit well offensively 

although, it could be the slowest line in the league 

On 11/6/2017 at 11:06 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

no but Jake could maybe see a bit of 2nd unit PP time in place of Gagner, he could be a good net presence 

How could he be relied on for the powerplay? Other than a few games with Green last year at the Ovi spot, he hasn't played on the powerplay since junior. He needs to go to Utica and get the minutes to round out his game. As I've said the numbers game will catch up to the team and they will be forced to send JV down. It's for the best and will make Jake an even stronger NHL pro.

7 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

How could he be relied on for the powerplay? Other than a few games with Green last year at the Ovi spot, he hasn't played on the powerplay since junior. He needs to go to Utica and get the minutes to round out his game. As I've said the numbers game will catch up to the team and they will be forced to send JV down. It's for the best and will make Jake an even stronger NHL pro.

whats the difference this year? its not like its going to bring the PP% down. He's shown his level of commitment is much higher and its a way to reward him for effort. 

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

whats the difference this year? its not like its going to bring the PP% down. He's shown his level of commitment is much higher and its a way to reward him for effort. 

He needs the reps. Green has already shown that he wouldn't give him the time on the PP in the AHL. He sure as shiz isn't going to just hand him those minutes now.

10 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Man, did the team look slow last night.  I think they need to put Jake back in and play him with some quicker skaters.

There has been several nights where he has had to skate the entire length of the blue line waiting for the twins to catch up.  Tough to have a kid on that line cause of the good teaching on the bench.  I agree with putting him on the shutdown line with Dorset and Sutter.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

There has been several nights where he has had to skate the entire length of the blue line waiting for the twins to catch up.  Tough to have a kid on that line cause of the good teaching on the bench.  I agree with putting him on the shutdown line with Dorset and Sutter.

I heard Travis Green say in his presser before the Sharks drubbing, that Jake is sometimes almost too fast for a power forward.  What the heck?  Like you say, maybe it’s just time for everyone (including our coach and management) to admit the Twins are too slow?

The reason why Jake has been handcuffed on the Sedin line is to dial in his defensive game.Green knows with the Sedins speed they can never or barely try to get on the backcheck , leaving Jake responsible. I believe it will make him a better player in the long run.But as a reward to Jake and to be honest us fans , loosen up them reins a bit and let him play.it would be nice to see 1 other line with a forecheck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

The reason why Jake has been handcuffed on the Sedin line is to dial in his defensive game.Green knows with the Sedins speed they can never or barely try to get on the backcheck , leaving Jake responsible. I believe it will make him a better player in the long run.But as a reward to Jake and to be honest us fans , loosen up them reins a bit and let him play.it would be nice to see 1 other line with a forecheck.

At least reward him with some PP time. I like this thought, but I hope he doesn't stay there with the Sedins too long. Guy is losing his meanness and the physicality he had in his first year by playing with them. He's being 'sedined'. 

Would also love to see a Virtanen/Horvat/Boeser line someday.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 11/12/2017 at 8:55 AM, Odd. said:

At least reward him with some PP time. I like this thought, but I hope he doesn't stay there with the Sedins too long. Guy is losing his meanness and the physicality he had in his first year by playing with them. He's being 'sedined'. 

Would also love to see a Virtanen/Horvat/Boeser line someday.

Yup, play the kid with Sutter and Granlund  in my opinion. Like someone said in anothe rthread, playing him 9 minutes and no PP time is getting old..

Granlund - Sutter - Virtanen.

• Upvote 1

So they scratch him against SJ and they go on to play the worse special team game(something JV doesn't even play on) of the year and couldn't even muster a goal.  So why scratch him again?   As mentioned in this thread maybe it's the Sedins holding JV back.  That sucks, I was hoping Green would see through this BS and not make the same mistakes Willie made. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I truly feel for Jake being handcuffed to the Sedin line for games on end and then being replaced by an underachieving Eriksson. So much for competition for spots.

Coaches want to win, and they often will go with their veterans because they've "proven" themselves, even if they are on the decline, or haven't done anything recently. One of the reasons for why I love Vigneault was that he always had that "show me what you've done recently" motto, and it kept his players wanting to prove themselves...don't get the sense that is the same with Greener...but time will tell. I wish also that Jake is given a little bit more time than the 6 minutes he gets every single game, it seems. Has he not done enough up to this point in the season to warrant a little bit more ice? Also, the pp is so bad, what is the harm is putting Virtanen out there on the second unit or something. Think outside the box for crying out loud. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Coaches want to win, and they often will go with their veterans because they've "proven" themselves, even if they are on the decline, or haven't done anything recently. One of the reasons for why I love Vigneault was that he always had that "show me what you've done recently" motto, and it kept his players wanting to prove themselves...don't get the sense that is the same with Greener...but time will tell. I wish also that Jake is given a little bit more time than the 6 minutes he gets every single game, it seems. Has he not done enough up to this point in the season to warrant a little bit more ice? Also, the pp is so bad, what is the harm is putting Virtanen out there on the second unit or something. Think outside the box for crying out loud. 

I don't understand what Greens MO is with Jake either. He'll learn with more icetime, and get better, especially if he isn't handcuffed by playing with the Sedins.

Regarding the PP, it's a pathetic joke. Newell Brown should be fired ASAP for thinking that trotting out the same formations and predictable puck movement will help generate any different outcome. It's embarrassing that the powerplay has been this bad for this long, and still the Sedins are getting time on the man advantage while barely being able to keep the puck in the zone.

48 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Newell Brown should be fired ASAP for thinking that trotting out the same formations and predictable puck movement will help generate any different outcome. 

In fairness to NB, the PP has sucked for a few years now when he wasn't even coaching here. Perhaps the PP coach isn't the problem (or at least not the main problem.)

IMO, the PP will continue to be bottom 10 of the league until the rebuild is more complete and especially, we have a legit PMD/PPQB on the point. Pouliot may eventually develop in to that guy, we may draft Dahlin etc but until we have a consistent threat, all the rearranging of deck chairs or different coaches/different systems matters very little.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I truly feel for Jake being handcuffed to the Sedin line for games on end and then being replaced by an underachieving Eriksson. So much for competition for spots.

As I said awhile back. Playing wing for the Twins is a career killer. Virtanen should be glad he is sitting as it will show that he was more of a driver on that line than not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As I said awhile back. Playing wing for the Twins is a career killer. Virtanen should be glad he is sitting as it will show that he was more of a driver on that line than not.

I doubt if Burr or Granny would agree with you there.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I doubt if Burr or Granny would agree with you there.

Anson Carter and Trent Klatt did well with the Twins too.  The Twins are just getting old.  It happens to everyone.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1