The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

13 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I am suprised that Jake seems to be held to a higher standard than everyone else,  There are other, older players out there playing worse than JV but no one gives them a hard time with the excessive critisism that seems to still float Jakes way when he has an off night.  Also, he can't go balls to the wall every shift and every game.  He will have bad nights like everyone else.  Jake just seems to catch it from us a lot more for, a lot less, than other players.  I like what I've seen of Jake so far this year.  One other thing, Jake is a lot better defensively than he get credit for.  I do believe he is +4 so far this season.  I know some would like to see him hit more and that would be fine, as long as doing so doesn't make him less effective defensively.

I've been generally pleased with his play this year as well, though as I noted a few posts above yours he, (along with near everyone else on the team) had a relatively poor showing last game.

Only a problem if it continues (for Jake and the team).

I don't even necessarily need to see him making big hits out there but I would like to see him up his battle level, pursuit and utilize his build to protect the puck/separate opposition from the puck. Especially now with Dors gone.

But as you've noted his D-play (and takeaways) have been solid pretty much all year. Just needs to keep his feet moving and be a bit more aggressive on pucks/opposition.

On 11/30/2017 at 9:51 AM, aGENT said:

I've been generally pleased with his play this year as well, though as I noted a few posts above yours he, (along with near everyone else on the team) had a relatively poor showing last game.

Only a problem if it continues (for Jake and the team).

I don't even necessarily need to see him making big hits out there but I would like to see him up his battle level, pursuit and utilize his build to protect the puck/separate opposition from the puck. Especially now with Dors gone.

But as you've noted his D-play (and takeaways) have been solid pretty much all year. Just needs to keep his feet moving and be a bit more aggressive on pucks/opposition.

He played well tonight.   Very responsibly.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Dickie said:

That doesn't fit the narrative 

Ya, he has been screwing with the haters a fair bit this year.  Worst part, he seems to be improving and Green is gaining confidence in him.   If he really gets going, it will be damn hard on some of those people.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ya, he has been screwing with the haters a fair bit this year.  Worst part, he seems to be improving and Green is gaining confidence in him.   If he really gets going, it will be damn hard on some of those people.

And yet I still want him to go to Utica for a stretch this season. 1st because he can and another player like oucher could easily take those minutes. 2nd because the only time in the career of JV, including junior, that he ever got a shift on the PK was with Trent Cull. We see what happened with Goldobin as a result. Jake will never get a chance at special teams without the ability to prove it. I would give him a chance to prove it at the AHL level. Explain it in no uncertain terms that he's not doing anything wrong, but he could be doing things better.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Virtanen made a few mistakes last night but I love the way Green is bringing him along. Both he and Gaunce got some real faith shifts last night. They are both coming along nicely. 

• Upvote 1

Jake is slowly coming along, and I've been seeing glimpses of a very good player making strides, with his great speed, going to the net, his wicked shot, those crushing hits. It'll eventually all come together and I think we'll all look back and be grateful the Canucks had patience with him. I think he'll become a heck of a player for us. Yes, he was drafted 6th OA, but so was Mr. Jim Benning (lol) Jake may not have the career Forsberg or Damphousse (former 6th OA picks) had, but there have been quite a few busts who were picked 6th OA as well, and I don't see Jake being one of those players. Really like him on that line with Gaunce too, motivates them both, they help each other out. I can see Gaunce eventually putting the puck in the net as well, assisted by Jake of course :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jake is slowly coming along, and I've been seeing glimpses of a very good player making strides, with his great speed, going to the net, his wicked shot, those crushing hits. It'll eventually all come together and I think we'll all look back and be grateful the Canucks had patience with him. I think he'll become a heck of a player for us. Yes, he was drafted 6th OA, but so was Mr. Jim Benning (lol) Jake may not have the career Forsberg or Damphousse (former 6th OA picks) had, but there have been quite a few busts who were picked 6th OA as well, and I don't see Jake being one of those players. Really like him on that line with Gaunce too, motivates them both, they help each other out. I can see Gaunce eventually putting the puck in the net as well, assisted by Jake of course :)

Virtanen had at least 3 really solid hits against Carolina. A couple of miscues in the d-zone but that should be expected. If Virtanen was not coachable he would be in Utica. Green must like what he is seeing. 

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Virtanen had at least 3 really solid hits against Carolina. A couple of miscues in the d-zone but that should be expected. If Virtanen was not coachable he would be in Utica. Green must like what he is seeing. 

I'm encouraged by Virtanen's play recently as well. I think he's trending in the right direction! 

Can't do anything with him being picked 6th overall, and it's not his fault that he was picked there. But I think he can be a 20 goal scorer for us one day, and play a brand of hockey, not many players on this team can,

Did he not receive 15 minutes of ice time against Carolina???

On 12/6/2017 at 2:37 PM, N4ZZY said:

Did he not receive 15 minutes of ice time against Carolina???

14:36, according to https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/v/virtaja01/gamelog/2018

His last four games have included 3 of his highest 4 games so far this season in time on ice, the lowest of the three being 12:27 against the Islanders.  The opne low toi game of his last 4 was Nov 30 against the Predators.

His increase in time on ice happens to coincide with Dorsett and Sutter being out and Virtanen being placed on a line with Granlund and Gaunce.  

I wonder if his development might have been helped getting some special teams time which would have been more likely to have happened in Utica.  It's hard to see that happening, though, as he seems to have earned his spot with the Canucks.

Edited by tyhee

22 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Same number of goals this season as 18 19 20 21 year old Sam Bennett

Has more than Ryan Johansen, Alex Steen, Patrick Sharp, Mitch Marner, Riley Nash etc etc.    Quietly having a decent next step season.   If he can hit 12 to 15 goals this year along with about that many assists, that would be huge offensive contribution to go with responsible game he has been bringing.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Has more than Ryan Johansen, Alex Steen, Patrick Sharp, Mitch Marner, Riley Nash etc etc.    Quietly having a decent next step season.   If he can hit 12 to 15 goals this year along with about that many assists, that would be huge offensive contribution to go with responsible game he has been bringing.

While I am quite happy with the way Green is bringing Virtanen along I can hardly wait to see this kid truly blossom. His size and speed alone makes him an elite prospect. Get him with the right line mates and we will be smiling for years.

52 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

While I am quite happy with the way Green is bringing Virtanen along I can hardly wait to see this kid truly blossom. His size and speed alone makes him an elite prospect. Get him with the right line mates and we will be smiling for years.

Granlund/Gaudette/Virtanen

Our hopeful third line at the start of next season.