The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

19 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I haven't posted too much about Jake since I said he needed to start watching Gaunce.

But I actually think I am seeing a turning point in Jake's development... something is happening and its good.

He is starting to use his speed, he is starting to use his strength and he is showing the determination that is required for him to go to the next level.

Just about every game now I see him show that special acceleration and speed he is capable of... the speed that is just not available to 95% of NHL players.

Frankly after several years of watching him on the bench, watching him being interviewed, and listening to what he says, it was clear to me he was just a kid... he was immature even for his age... which was young for a draft choice anyway.   Even though he is a big kid, he lacks the sureness and confidence many others of his age have.  And that immaturity also made him slower to learn... slower to anticipate and understand the game around him.

But that is starting to change.  The ice time he has under his belt is starting to pay off.  I know a lot of people are frustrated he is not developing at the pace they want to see, but he is developing.  I think Coach Green understands him, and understands how to bring him along.

He is gonna be fine.

Couldn't agree more, hes always been a project, but is coming along nicely! If he can get to 10-15goals this year (not out of the question) while playing a consistently responsible game, I'd count that a successful year! 

39 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Kind of getting sick of watching him pass up breakaway chances for his wrist shot from the outside in to the goalies stomach.  

6 hours ago, Zhukini said:

He really looks like Mason Raymond did out there, and not in a good way. 

Easy guys. He looked good last couple game. This team went to the cup finals last year. I mean i didnt watch the game but did anyone look good last night ?

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Easy guys. He looked good last couple game. This team went to the cup finals last year. I mean i didnt watch the game but did anyone look good last night ?

He was one of the better Canucks last night. People love to complain about him taking wrist shots instead of dangling on the goaltender but they fail to take into account that he manufactures almost all of his chances singlehandedly, sometimes even carrying the puck all the way from below his own goal line. Give him some time, (and more minutes) he'll eventually get comfortable at this level and figure out what he needs to do to score on NHL goaltenders. When he does, 30+ goals per is not out of the question.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hlinkas wrister said:

He was one of the better Canucks last night. People love to complain about him taking wrist shots instead of dangling on the goaltender but they fail to take into account that he manufactures almost all of his chances singlehandedly, sometimes even carrying the puck all the way from below his own goal line. Give him some time, (and more minutes) he'll eventually get comfortable at this level and figure out what he needs to do to score on NHL goaltenders. When he does, 30+ goals per is not out of the question.

I would happy to be wrong, but if Jake can consistently score 20 goals, I'd be happy. 30 goals and I'd be over the moon happy. He's on pace, for what. 10 goals this season? Not bad for his first full season in the NHL, but as others will point out, disappointing for a former first round, 6th overall, pick. But if he can eventually score 30 goals, then the disappointment disappears pretty quickly with most fans. I've liked, personally, what I've seen from Jake. He's being responsible defensively, and the offence for most players usually begins to come around once young players understand and play well the defensive side of the puck. That seems to be Green's motto, no? With Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Gaunce is playing because he's so good defensively for a young player.  

4 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

His combination of speed, size, skill, and guts isn't something that all players possess. He's on the right track and will just get better going forward.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

All he needs is confidence, his speed is unreal, he's shown puck handling. I think he just needs to work on his planning and take his edge to the net. His speed matches some of the best in the NHL, and the fact he's a takeaway machine could provide a lot of use in the top 6, he just needs to utilize his teammates better.

• Like 1

Virtanen should watch some tape of Josh Anderson of the blue jackets. Speedy PWF that drives to the net and create chaos and confusion, with a bit of more sense of urgency in his game.

Lately, I'm seeing a lot more flybys from Virtanen. Often times he does flybys because he's so fast he really doesn't need to skate as all he needs to do is glide. He also needs to stop shooting it at the goalies crest or right into the glove from far out. Instead, aim to shoot closer and lower for some rebounds for Gaunce or whomever to pot in.

Virtanen playing a full season and getting somewhere around 20-25 points is a good start for him. Hopefully next year he's going to be playing with better linemates such as Gaudette and possibly Dahlen, Goldobin, or hell even Pettersson if he makes the team.

I'd also love to try Virtanen on the 2nd line PP unit as the guy in front of the net.

Virtanen

Eriksson                               Gagner

Vanek

Pouliot

Edited by Odd.

10 hours ago, hyper00 said:

All he needs is confidence, his speed is unreal, he's shown puck handling. I think he just needs to work on his planning and take his edge to the net. His speed matches some of the best in the NHL, and the fact he's a takeaway machine could provide a lot of use in the top 6, he just needs to utilize his teammates better.

I think him utilizing his teammates better will come with experience, but also coaching. Green seems like the perfect head coach for Jake. I see Virtanen taking a huge step next season.

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

Virtanen should watch some tape of Josh Anderson of the blue jackets. Speedy PWF that drives to the net and create chaos and confusion, with a bit of more sense of urgency in his game.

Lately, I'm seeing a lot more flybys from Virtanen. Often times he does flybys because he's so fast he really doesn't need to skate as all he needs to do is glide. He also needs to stop shooting it at the goalies crest or right into the glove from far out. Instead, aim to shoot closer and lower for some rebounds for Gaunce or whomever to pot in.

Virtanen playing a full season and getting somewhere around 20-25 points is a good start for him. Hopefully next year he's going to be playing with better linemates such as Gaudette and possibly Dahlen, Goldobin, or hell even Pettersson if he makes the team.

I'd also love to try Virtanen on the 2nd line PP unit as the guy in front of the net.

Virtanen

Eriksson                               Gagner

Vanek

Pouliot

Wouldn't mind Virtanen on the second unit on the powerplay. Question is, has he earned that right to be there. Don't think Coach Green agrees (just my opinion)

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Jake is a +4 and has 4 goals.  There are others like Granny and Gags who are on the pp.  Jake seems to be doing as well as they are.  I think he deserves a shot as much as anyone else.

As the inevitable slide in the standings continues I agree with you that Jake should get a look on the PP. His size, speed, wrister and puck battle should pay off.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As the inevitable slide in the standings continues I agree with you that Jake should get a look on the PP. His size, speed, wrister and puck battle should pay off.  

Do you think he would make a good PKer?  I think that his skating would give him some great chances to become a threat scoring shorthanded.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Do you think he would make a good PKer?  I think that his skating would give him some great chances to become a threat scoring shorthanded.

I don't think he reads the play as well as Gaunce does yet. I prefer he gets some looks on the PP first. Very excited about the type of player Virtanen could become. There is no doubt in my mind that the Canucks have to get bigger at all positions other than goal. They are simply not big enough to be serious CUP contenders yet. Some nice size coming however. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don't think he reads the play as well as Gaunce does yet. I prefer he gets some looks on the PP first. Very excited about the type of player Virtanen could become. There is no doubt in my mind that the Canucks have to get bigger at all positions other than goal. They are simply not big enough to be serious CUP contenders yet. Some nice size coming however. 

Are you trying to tell me we're not a cup contender as presently constructed!? :shock:

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Jake is a +4 and has 4 goals.  There are others like Granny and Gags who are on the pp.  Jake seems to be doing as well as they are.  I think he deserves a shot as much as anyone else.

Should also mention that his +4 is third best on the team after Horavt and Tanev. He's getting his game together and as he gains confidence he'll explore more offensively when he realizes he has more time than he used to think.