avelanch

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

He will be the guy that we really love in the playoffs! tough fast and skilled! 

Maybe we've been going about this all wrong.

Dahlen-Pettersson-Virtanen   Skill with speed, size and toughness

Goldy-Bo-Boeser

Leipsic-Gaudette-Lind

Gadjovich-MacEwen-Jasek/Palmu

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Stecher

Tryamkin-Chatfield

Demko

Dipietro

I don't think so...

36 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

I don't think so...

Why not? In pre-season I can see a line like that for sure. That's a very balanced line and IMO could be an actual line next season if Dahlen makes the team.

At this point I'm quite convinced Pettersson is going to start the year at center, because we don't have a center that's skilled enough to play in our top 6. If Dahlen (who IMO is our most NHL ready prospect after Pettersson) makes the team, no question he'll be Pettersson's line-mate.

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen or Goldobin - Pettersson - Eriksson

Gagner - Sutter - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Granlund

Schaller

If Dahlen has a better pre-season than Gaudette, I'd send Gaudette down to the minors and call him up when injuries inevitably plagues the team.

Also, the whole group of RW's is pretty interchangeable. Virtanen with those two is interesting, but I really want to see what Eriksson can do with Pettersson and Dahlen first. Eriksson scored 30 goals and 63pts in 2016 playing with skilled players like Krejci and Spooner. Pettersson and Dahlen are eerily similar to their playing styles and could be what Eriksson's needs. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Odd. said:

Why not? In pre-season I can see a line like that for sure. That's a very balanced line and IMO could be an actual line next season if Dahlen makes the team.

At this point I'm quite convinced Pettersson is going to start the year at center, because we don't have a center that's skilled enough to play in our top 6. If Dahlen (who IMO is our most NHL ready prospect after Pettersson) makes the team, no question he'll be Pettersson's line-mate.

Schaller

If Dahlen has a better pre-season than Gaudette, I'd send Gaudette down to the minors and call him up when injuries inevitably plagues the team.

Also, the whole group of RW's is pretty interchangeable. Virtanen with those two is interesting, but I really want to see what Eriksson can do with Pettersson and Dahlen first. Eriksson scored 30 goals and 63pts in 2016 playing with skilled players like Krejci and Spooner. Pettersson and Dahlen are eerily similar to their playing styles and could be what Eriksson's needs. 

More and more guys are coming to the conclusion that Pettersson will start at centre.  Given that Horvat, Sutter and Beagle are all trustworthy defensively and can take the hard match ups, why not?

Pettersson may end up with the least ice of the 4 at 5 on 5 but if he gets mostly o-zone starts and plenty of pp time he could be very effective.  Just give him the Hank treatment.

And I agree with Eriksson on that line.  He brings defensive responsibility but what is more is that Eriksson needs to play with a shooter,  His skillset is to bang in rebounds.  Maybe he can find the production that he had in Boston.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

More and more guys are coming to the conclusion that Pettersson will start at centre.  Given that Horvat, Sutter and Beagle are all trustworthy defensively and can take the hard match ups, why not?

Pettersson may end up with the least ice of the 4 at 5 on 5 but if he gets mostly o-zone starts and plenty of pp time he could be very effective.  Just give him the Hank treatment.

And I agree with Eriksson on that line.  He brings defensive responsibility but what is more is that Eriksson needs to play with a shooter,  His skillset is to bang in rebounds.  Maybe he can find the production that he had in Boston.

Eriksson was my favorite garbage man in the NHL for years before he came here. Was a fan of him in Dallas and Boston. He's got such a knack for those kinds of greasy goals. I hope it comes back. Like you said, we haven't had the kinds of offensive threats that really create those kinds of rebounds for him to tap in. Sedins were all about a controlled game and not giving the puck away. More rebounds means more goals for Loui. I smell a come back!

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Odd. said:

Schaller

I like where your heads at here. I think if nothing else we should at least give Lou a chance on a line with complimentary skills to give him a chance too prove himself - pretty sure he's not too amped on his output in van either.. what's the worst that could happen? and if he gets his mojo back, he could be our hossa. 

not sure about your assessment on dahlen though. although I think he could potentially bump brittle baer, I would have gaud ahead of him on nhl readiness. on the other hand, I wonder if its harder for a center to make the jump than wing.. especially with the experienced depth we have at center.. either way I hope you're right and I feel like both would likely skate with the bigs in 19/20 anyways.. 

14 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

I like where your heads at here. I think if nothing else we should at least give Lou a chance on a line with complimentary skills to give him a chance too prove himself - pretty sure he's not too amped on his output in van either.. what's the worst that could happen? and if he gets his mojo back, he could be our hossa. 

not sure about your assessment on dahlen though. although I think he could potentially bump brittle baer, I would have gaud ahead of him on nhl readiness. on the other hand, I wonder if its harder for a center to make the jump than wing.. especially with the experienced depth we have at center.. either way I hope you're right and I feel like both would likely skate with the bigs in 19/20 anyways.. 

I guess it's based on Dahlen having more experience playing at the pro level. After the Beagle and Schaller signings, I think Gaudette might start in Utica but get called up. Just a hunch I guess but both are definitely going to be playing with us soon anyway.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

I guess it's based on Dahlen having more experience playing at the pro level. After the Beagle and Schaller signings, I think Gaudette might start in Utica but get called up. Just a hunch I guess but both are definitely going to be playing with us soon anyway.

I'm okay with Gaudette starting in Utica. He can really get a chance to sink his teeth into another 1C role like he did at Northeastern. Manitoba did great things for Kesler before he hit the Canucks roster. He wasn't there long but it helped him greatly. I can see a similar path for Gaudette...Kesler took a few seasons developing as a shut down 3 C with Burrows before really solidifying himself as a premier 2C in the league.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting to compare Jake's 21 year old season to Kesler's. They're almost identical in terms of points.

Kesler - 82GP - 10G - 13A - 23PTS

Virtanen - 75GP - 10G - 10A - 20PTS

I know it's harder to compare a center to a winger since Kesler was more in a shutdown role. But it's not as if Virtanen was being given tons of offensive opportunities either. I would say both could be classified as power forwards however, which they always say take longer to develop.

Just interesting when looking at the bigger picture. Kesler was one of the best players we have ever drafted and developed, and even he struggled to produce at age 21. Important to keep that in mind when we start throwing around these bust labels on 21 year olds.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, drummer4now said:

But what about Gaunce? 

He has his own thread.   Perhaps you can find your answers there?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Interesting to compare Jake's 21 year old season to Kesler's. They're almost identical in terms of points.

Kesler - 82GP - 10G - 13A - 23PTS

Virtanen - 75GP - 10G - 10A - 20PTS

I know it's harder to compare a center to a winger since Kesler was more in a shutdown role. But it's not as if Virtanen was being given tons of offensive opportunities either. I would say both could be classified as power forwards however, which they always say take longer to develop.

Just interesting when looking at the bigger picture. Kesler was one of the best players we have ever drafted and developed, and even he struggled to produce at age 21. Important to keep that in mind when we start throwing around these bust labels on 21 year olds.

Kesler to be fair, was also drafted 23rd overall.  Different level of expectations (vs a guy drafted 6th overall).

Granted, that Kesler draft year was pretty deep - you had to have a certain amount of "skill" to pick a bust that year.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Kesler to be fair, was also drafted 23rd overall.  Different level of expectations (vs a guy drafted 6th overall).

Granted, that Kesler draft year was pretty deep - you had to have a certain amount of "skill" to pick a bust that year.

To be fairer, Kesler was on a much deeper team that had "fallen" to 92 points after consecutive 100 plus point seasons (and would follow up that year with one too).    Kesler's year also had a Canuck team that scored 256 times - and Kesler had nearly 3 minutes more per game (or, given Jake's ice-time....nearly 25% more).   If you are going to compare these two in terms of stats, given the team scoring rates and the time on the ice for both players, it is hard to argue that Jake didn't have a more successful year offensively as a 21 year old.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

To be fairer, Kesler was on a much deeper team that had "fallen" to 92 points after consecutive 100 plus point seasons (and would follow up that year with one too).    Kesler's year also had a Canuck team that scored 256 times - and Kesler had nearly 3 minutes more per game (or, given Jake's ice-time....nearly 25% more).   If you are going to compare these two in terms of stats, given the team scoring rates and the time on the ice for both players, it is hard to argue that Jake didn't have a more successful year offensively as a 21 year old.

I'm not sure a comparison is really warranted though given the already mentioned fact both play different positions (center being a far harder position to break into the league in with all the added extra responsibilities).

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm not sure a comparison is really warranted though given the already mentioned fact both play different positions (center being a far harder position to break into the league in with all the added extra responsibilities).

Depends on your wingers and where you start your shift.   Kesler benefited from a lot of solid C's on the team he was eased into.    Virtanen has been on a lesser talented team and certainly less talented linemates.

Agreed, it is a poor comparison but C's also typically get more points too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Boeser was drafted 23rd overall too.

I could care less about what fans expect of Virtanen, I care about where he ends up in the long run. Being a 6th overall pick doesn't mean he should be tearing up the league at 21. Plenty of great players took time to find their game in the NHL.

The point being, just because he's not putting up points now doesn't mean he can't still reach a high level.