The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

11 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Jake looking good these past few games. solid again tonight. hes starting to become a nightmare on board battles and infront of the net.  let alone his blazing speed and his "in tune" ness with the game. he seems to always be contributing. thats what we want to see. no more fly bys baby!

He was standing still on that Petry goal, but looked solid outside of that gaffe. I love the attitude Jake brings to the game. He doesn't get intimidated at all. I hope to see him in Canucks colors for many years to come.

• Upvote 1

ONE thing that frustrates me to no end watching Jake is for all the swooning people do over his ability to drive wide on defenders and get a chance he never con"virts" on it. It usually only amounts to a hard but easily handled shot. Often high short side. He needs to shoot low for a juicy rebound and realize when he has a guy beat, cut earlier towards the center. 

19 minutes ago, hammertime said:

ONE thing that frustrates me to no end watching Jake is for all the swooning people do over his ability to drive wide on defenders and get a chance he never con"virts" on it. It usually only amounts to a hard but easily handled shot. Often high short side. He needs to shoot low for a juicy rebound and realize when he has a guy beat, cut earlier towards the center. 

Next season will be Jake's 4th as a pro and at some point there has to be more offense from his game. I mean half his goals and points this season came in a 3 game stretch 2 months ago.

39 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Next season will be Jake's 4th as a pro and at some point there has to be more offense from his game. I mean half his goals and points this season came in a 3 game stretch 2 months ago.

It is true that, considering his high draft pick, JV's game has been disappointing to say the least.  At the moment, it is very easy to find a player in the 1st round (#5-30) that are playing better than him.

I've noticed that many of the 1st round forwards in his draft class are also struggling to find their games (Fabbri, Milano, Ho Sang, Goldy, Sherbak, McCann, Bleakely, Kapenan, etc and Richie seems to have regressed from last year as well.  I don't know what has happened to Dal Colle.  It also seems that the smaller players in that draft are finding success sooner than the bigger kids.

It doesn't seem likely that Jake will ever reach the lofty projections from his draft year, but I am encouraged that (of late) he seems to be having more confidence and his game is improving.  He has definitely gained some maturity and is taking the game seriously now.  I don't think he reads the ice as well as other high draft picks, which is why I think it is taking him longer to transition to the NHL game, by learning to use his strengths and skills effectively.

At the moment, I will be very happy to see a steady improvement throughout this season and a much improved level of play in his 4th year as a pro.  I still think he can be the kind of player that can be very effective for this team going forward.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

I think his offensive game is developing, but it's hard when you're on the fourth line role with limited ice time. Hopefully, he's given a little more rope by Green, maybe some powerplay time? I can see him converting on some goals and getting points from more ice time. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think his offensive game is developing, but it's hard when you're on the fourth line role with limited ice time. Hopefully, he's given a little more rope by Green, maybe some powerplay time? I can see him converting on some goals and getting points from more ice time. 

Maybe Jake needs to go back with the Twins to cover for their lack of defensive play?  That might help Jake's offensive numbers too?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Jake needs to go back with the Twins to cover for their lack of defensive play?  That might help Jake's offensive numbers too?  

I don't know if the Sedins and Jake are a good fit offensively honestly. I think it was good for him to have played with them, and learn from them, especially board battles (maybe that's where the improvement has come from?). But he's more a north-south player, and the Sedins don't quite play like that. He also needs players who can get on to the rush with him, and get him the puck. So far, he doesn't have anyone who can do that for and with him. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't know if the Sedins and Jake are a good fit offensively honestly. I think it was good for him to have played with them, and learn from them, especially board battles (maybe that's where the improvement has come from?). But he's more a north-south player, and the Sedins don't quite play like that. He also needs players who can get on to the rush with him, and get him the puck. So far, he doesn't have anyone who can do that for and with him. 

Pettersson? :)

Just now, Alflives said:

Pettersson? :)

Yeah. When he's ready perhaps, but I don't see Jake in a top six role with the amount of young talent coming in. He's really got to step up his game in order to put in the top six, and while he's progressing fine this season, it's not quite quick enough where he'd be slotted into the top six (only now because of the rash of injuries we've had). Pettersson can certainly dish the puck, but he can shoot it just as well. Might be a good fit for Jake. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I can relate to Jake. I am not a fast learner. Never been one. You're bringing up some legitimate points but they problems that are easy to address. A few years down the road, his game will come together, I just hope the fans are patient enough to see him mature and hit his prime here.

8 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I can relate to Jake. I am not a fast learner. Never been one. You're bringing up some legitimate points but they problems that are easy to address. A few years down the road, his game will come together, I just hope the fans are patient enough to see him mature and hit his prime here.

More than that, I hope management is mature enough to wait and be patient and not jump the gun on him. They do keep saying the right things, like having a long term plan with Jake. He's making good progress this season under Green. I'd like to see with a year of pro experience (good experience) under his belt, and with Green as his head coach, what kind of player will we see in the second half of the season and next season? 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

More than that, I hope management is mature enough to wait and be patient and not jump the gun on him. They do keep saying the right things, like having a long term plan with Jake. He's making good progress this season under Green. I'd like to see with a year of pro experience (good experience) under his belt, and with Green as his head coach, what kind of player will we see in the second half of the season and next season? 

Agreed. I just talked about the fans because as fans, we have a huge say in this market. All Acquilini cares about are his sales. If he knows the fans aren't happy with Jake, he may try to force a trade to get rid of him and "keep the fans happy". That would be the wrong move.

On 2017-12-20 at 12:07 PM, Vanuckles said:

Agreed. I just talked about the fans because as fans, we have a huge say in this market. All Acquilini cares about are his sales. If he knows the fans aren't happy with Jake, he may try to force a trade to get rid of him and "keep the fans happy". That would be the wrong move.

That’s not entirely true. He has actually been a huge Canucks fan all his life and wants to bring a cup to Vancouver as badly as we want one. Yes he his a business man and maybe that gets in the way sometimes (like signing veterans to compete faster) but he spends hella money on this franchise

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ken kaniff said:

Just saw this morning on Instagram that Jake is going to be trying out Brock’s stick in the game today. Hopefully it suits him as well as Brock and he pots a goal or two tonight 

If he buries one we have to patent that curve and give it to every canuck/future canuck. I don't care if it's big, small right, left, or a broom handle.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I didn't watch the games, but based on the stats it looks like Jake was probably our first star tonight. 1 goal, 1 assists, +2, 5 shots, and 3 hits. This guy is developing fantastically. Looks like he's a fast Raffi Torres. Beautiful.

Can definitely tell that when he's on his bread and butter could be creating off the rush with speed.

Wonder if moving forward he could be on a line with say Eriksson and Granlund?  His drives lead to him flipping backhand passes out into the crease, and his two recipients are both lefties who work well in the crease (where his passes end up).  They would also be a strong two-way unit (Granny up the middle).  

Sven - Bo - Brock (de facto #1 line)

Danny - Hank - Vanek (skilled line, Vanek the finisher and tipper in front)
Jake - Granny - Loui (read description above)
Gaunce/ Burmistrov - Sutter - Gagner (mishmash, could shelter Gagner in EV or sit him for a defensive unit with Burmi depending on the opponent)