The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 12/20/2017 at 8:53 PM, Vanuckles said:

I can relate to Jake. I am not a fast learner. Never been one. You're bringing up some legitimate points but they problems that are easy to address. A few years down the road, his game will come together, I just hope the fans are patient enough to see him mature and hit his prime here.

I don't think we have to worry about losing him for few seasons at least.

The management, as long as it's TL and JB at the helm, will not trade JV that early and because he hasn't earned that big contract yet, he will be signed at a reasonable cap so there is no concern cap wise.

I think this is the year where he establishes himself as an NHL player. I think by the end of the season, he will have become a third line player, playing 13-14 minutes a game.

I'm looking forward to what Jake can do next season. He is a fun prospect to track for sure and I think he will hit 20 goals as early as next season.

I thought Jake was the best Canucks player last night against the Sharks. He's definitely improving his game, and this is all we can ask for. If he wasn't improving and wasn't doing the work, then he would be considered a bust I guess. But he's just getting better and better, and one day he will be that dominant power forward Benning drafted him to be. Got to be patient with players like Jake.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I thought Jake was the best Canucks player last night against the Sharks. He's definitely improving his game, and this is all we can ask for. If he wasn't improving and wasn't doing the work, then he would be considered a bust I guess. But he's just getting better and better, and one day he will be that dominant power forward Benning drafted him to be. Got to be patient with players like Jake.

Just imagine having Virtanen and Gadjovich causing chaos in the O zone.  If the Canucks can land Kane, even better.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gobi said:

Just imagine having Virtanen and Gadjovich causing chaos in the O zone.  If the Canucks can land Kane, even better.

Yeah, I love it. Gadjovich and Jake on the 2nd or 3rd, and maybe MacEwen and Labate on the 4th. Gaunce is another big body who's improving. I like that there are players with size who possess some skill and then ridiculously skilled players like Boeser now, and Pettersson in a year or two. Benning is building a winner.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I love it. Gadjovich and Jake on the 2nd or 3rd, and maybe MacEwen and Labate on the 4th. Gaunce is another big body who's improving. I like that there are players with size who possess some skill and then ridiculously skilled players like Boeser now, and Pettersson in a year or two. Benning is building a winner.

Yep, I just hope we can land that #1 D in the draft and then we are all set.

I hope Benning gets extended soon.  He really deserves to be here to see this rebuild through.

What really impresses me is his skating style.  He skates like Grabner.... very upright, so he looks slow.... but he's going fast.  

Guys like Mason Raymond or Emerson Etem... they lean forward a lot when going quick, thus it's easy to tell they're going as fast as they can.... plus hard to go side-to-side.

There was that one play in the 3rd period against SJS, where the puck was just dumped in between 2 Sharks defenders... usually it's just a routine play where one of the defenseman would just casually skate for the puck.... but instead you see Virtanen just beat them both to the puck.  Can't remember if he created a scoring chance with that.  But that's what you like to see with him, because if he doesn't get the puck, he'll probably be pasting the opposition against the board.  Win-win either way.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Jake Virtanen has game-changing Mcdavid speed, but it's his hockey IQ that needs development. We have been witnessing how effective his speed can be during the last few games. I just hope he continues to increase his effectiveness and play without the puck.

I think that's what Green is working with Jake so far this season. Playing well defensively will lead to offense. but if you are a good offensive player, and play no D, then you become a liability (i.e. Goldobin). I understand Green's approach and respect it. It's hard for young players to play the right way (defense first), because they were so dominant in their junior careers. Green's approaching his young players the right way. The fan base and the media in this city, is often the one that becomes really impatient, but Green's handled a lot of that criticism well too.Virtanen's coming along. Can't wait to see what he'll become in the second half of this season. Something to look forward to! 

50 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

And yet again he comes down the left side of the ice and scores. 95% of this kids offense comes from the left side of the ice and the Canucks are in need of a physical left winger. Why oh why won't they give it a try.

I would give you 1 million pluses if possible.  Jake is a natural left winger.  He sees the ice better from that side.  His body is more open to the play too.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I would give you 1 million pluses if possible.  Jake is a natural left winger.  He sees the ice better from that side.  His body is more open to the play too.  

Has he been playing there all year? or has he been playing on the right side? 

He hasn't been getting quality minutes this year, only 10-12 on average, and no PP time.  I think he earned a fair bit more ice time in the next few games based on how he played last night.  I feel that the next 5 games could be a real turning point for him.  If he can play anything like last night on a consistent basis, he will become a massive part of this team and it's future.

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

And yet again he comes down the left side of the ice and scores. 95% of this kids offense comes from the left side of the ice and the Canucks are in need of a physical left winger. Why oh why won't they give it a try.

Much as I like Jake, and always have, I think not playing him on left wing is mostly about getting out of his own zone - board play is more difficult on your backhand - as his own zone play continues to improve, that could still happen.  Sooner if he keeps showing offence from that side.  He is a guy who always plays better when he is confident and his game really suffers when he’s not; and it looks like these coaches really want to build up his complete game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/20/2017 at 3:03 PM, N4ZZY said:

More than that, I hope management is mature enough to wait and be patient and not jump the gun on him. They do keep saying the right things, like having a long term plan with Jake. He's making good progress this season under Green.

It's becoming more and more clear they've done the right thing with him, and Green is bringing him along extremely well.  Methodically, small pieces, small assignments, only short pieces of rope at a time.  Yes we want to see him in OT, yes we want to see him on the PP.  But he continues to improve, and there is a whole lot more he is capable of bringing yet, especially as his confidence grows when he sees it work.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2