The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's becoming more and more clear they've done the right thing with him, and Green is bringing him along extremely well.  Methodically, small pieces, small assignments, only short pieces of rope at a time.  Yes we want to see him in OT, yes we want to see him on the PP.  But he continues to improve, and there is a whole lot more he is capable of bringing yet, especially as his confidence grows when he sees it work.

I have a feeling PP time will be a reward for coming to camp in better shape.  Green's teaching him what other coaches should have been doing at lower levels, but didn't.  I'm really liking the results so far.

7 minutes ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

Still waiting on 
VIRTANEN-BO-BOESER

It might work, but Virtanen plays a very north-south game that is quite distinct from the east-west play making game that Bo and Boeser (and Baer, while we're at it) play. Jake's playstyle seems to fit a third line energy forward role perfectly.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Much as I like Jake, and always have, I think not playing him on left wing is mostly about getting out of his own zone - board play is more difficult on your backhand - as his own zone play continues to improve, that could still happen.  Sooner if he keeps showing offence from that side.  He is a guy who always plays better when he is confident and his game really suffers when he’s not; and it looks like these coaches really want to build up his complete game.

I think his deficiencies playing the left side would be made up for with his ability to put up points from the left wing. It's not as though he would never be able to figure it out, it would just take some time and repetition. He is more of a straight line player like an Ovechkin, who is a right shot playing left wing and that's the type of player he should aspire to become. Players like Laine and Boeser are able to move laterally and find their way to the middle of the ice and get their shot off from where they like it, but Jake should be setting up on that side to use his straight line speed more effectively.

All of this talk is for nothing though, because Green had him for an entire year and didn't try any variation when it came to position, except for a brief stint on the left wing low on the powerplay. It's the same as others saying they should try him on the PK. The coach isn't going to trust him in a place he's never been before. Maybe when the team is mathematically eliminated we could see some experimenting, but I wouldn't bet on it.

12 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's becoming more and more clear they've done the right thing with him, and Green is bringing him along extremely well.  Methodically, small pieces, small assignments, only short pieces of rope at a time.  Yes we want to see him in OT, yes we want to see him on the PP.  But he continues to improve, and there is a whole lot more he is capable of bringing yet, especially as his confidence grows when he sees it work.

You are so bang on! A series of 3 to 4 strong games does not make a season let alone a career. Virtanen has gone from a bum to get rid of, to a AHL career player, to a fringe NHLer to now a star in the making. Many on here, you included, have cautioned patience and the importance of process. This is the way to develop both Jake and Gaunce. Green stated very clearly at the beginning of the season that Virtanen and Gaunce had to establish themselves in the NHL before they did anything else. They had to establish a professional routine on and off the ice that would carry them through both good and bad periods. IMHO they are both doing this. The fact that Green sent Gaunce out on a 5 on 3 PK as the only forward screams about his development. It is as big a deal as Jake scoring goals!  That said, how they are playing in April is more important than how they are playing right now.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Much as I like Jake, and always have, I think not playing him on left wing is mostly about getting out of his own zone - board play is more difficult on your backhand - as his own zone play continues to improve, that could still happen.  Sooner if he keeps showing offence from that side.  He is a guy who always plays better when he is confident and his game really suffers when he’s not; and it looks like these coaches really want to build up his complete game.

Exactly. Its the breakout where he suffers on the left side. That said he doesn't look that great on the right side breakout either. Lol. I say run him on the left and let him go. seems Gaunce helps JV with hid defensive deficiencies. JV powers the offence. Great fit so far.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, rekker said:

Exactly. Its the breakout where he suffers on the left side. That said he doesn't look that great on the right side breakout either. Lol. I say run him on the left and let him go. seems Gaunce helps JV with hid defensive deficiencies. JV powers the offence. Great fit so far.

He sure flew up the ice on the left side. For his goal against SJ the other night...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He sure flew up the ice on the left side. For his goal against SJ the other night...

For sure. Its the coverage down low in his zone where he needs work. Taking the pass down low on his backhand on the left side doesn't help him in his zone. But I think we agree. At this point let him fly down the left side playing left wing. Its a treat to watch and an effective way to gain the zone for that line.

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He has been one of the best looking Canucks for a few weeks now.  Something has clicked.   He looks strong, fast and confident.  Once the goals come more regularly, and no reason to think they won't with the chances he is getting, it will increase the confidence.   He is a force and is beating Dmen wide on a regular basis and few in the league can do that.

I agree - he is looking good out there. I'm just waiting for him to slow the game down once he has his opportunity to shoot. He still seems to be rushing it at this point, as if he even surprises himself that he has the opportunity. It will happen for him soon enough though. He has a good, hard shot. He just needs the mental awareness to give himself time to aim it properly and not rush to too quickly to get it off his stick. 

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He has been one of the best looking Canucks for a few weeks now.  Something has clicked.   He looks strong, fast and confident.  Once the goals come more regularly, and no reason to think they won't with the chances he is getting, it will increase the confidence.   He is a force and is beating Dmen wide on a regular basis and few in the league can do that.

He should have drawn 2 penalties in the 3rd but got none. I will give the refs the benefit of the doubt and assume the play moved up ice so fast their vision was blocked.

+15 TOI looked good on Jake. I think we are seeing a star in the making. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

I agree - he is looking good out there. I'm just waiting for him to slow the game down once he has his opportunity to shoot. He still seems to be rushing it at this point, as if he even surprises himself that he has the opportunity. It will happen for him soon enough though. He has a good, hard shot. He just needs the mental awareness to give himself time to aim it properly and not rush to too quickly to get it off his Boeser's stick. 

FIFY

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

He should have drawn 2 penalties in the 3rd but got none. I will give the refs the benefit of the doubt and assume the play moved up ice so fast their vision was blocked.

+15 TOI looked good on Jake. I think we are seeing a star in the making. 

I cautiously agree as he is likely still a tad mentally fragile and I just hope whatever program the coaches have him on, they keep the plan and all these injuries are not force fitting him.  Green seems to have fully taken JV under his wing and the AHL season of tough love plus the 1/3 of this season so far are all seemingly part of that plan.

If he sustains this level of effort and play, he will be considered an astute draft pick as every team in the NHL covets guys with size who can skate like the wing and create havoc.   He has a lethal shot and he will earn the respect to start getting calls from the officials.   If he wants it to be, ceiling for him can still be a 20 plus goal guy with speed, size and ability to play in most any situation.   As one poster had above, he would be an excellent option during OT situations as you get a lot more 1 on 1 coverages and he seemingly can walk around Dmen pretty regularly so if a forward gets caught as the last man standing, one would think he could blow right by.    

If this kid does fully blossom, good on him given how many wrote him off.    Good for him! 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I agree. I think he had a light bulb moment.

12 hours ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

he's so quick, tonights game he's playing with FIRE atm, so much energy and passion seems like he's more comfortable... way to go jake

Would seem that the past year plus of work on his game is starting to settle in to where Jake now realizes, "Hey, I can play in this league."  Not just the skating but the hitting and aggressiveness is starting to come back now.  It looks to be all about confidence -- he's not being tentative but just going out there and playing, and taking the puck and being determined with it.  You can see it in his rushes up the ice; if it's not there he circles back then comes up even faster and stronger.  He's chipping it in and going hard after it, typically beating the dmen to the puck.  Still has lots of work to do in using his teammates, but that'll come as they determine who works best with him.  So far Gaunce in particular, Gagner and Burmistrov (bye) earlier, and even Goldy now have looked pretty good with him.  With the way he backchecks and steals pucks, he's going to be GOLD in 3v3 OT, as well as 4v4 situations.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-12-22 at 8:27 PM, Hutton Wink said:

I agree, although I was still perplexed to see the Sedins in OT the other night over a flying Virtanen.

But, given what TG's been able to get out of this team, I can't stay angry for long.

Contrary to most opinions, I see great things in Gaunce and Virtanen. The goals aren't there yet but they're getting quality scoring chances. 

Like Jake, I don't think Gaunce has a lot more to offer and we need to be patient. 

Edited by komodo0921