The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

23 hours ago, rekker said:

For sure. Its the coverage down low in his zone where he needs work. Taking the pass down low on his backhand on the left side doesn't help him in his zone. But I think we agree. At this point let him fly down the left side playing left wing. Its a treat to watch and an effective way to gain the zone for that line.

Neutral zone cross over works as well. 

I think his speed wide gives him more time and space than he realizes, plus his options going into the zone are opening up. His teammates realize that they have to hustle to keep up with Jake because he's drawing the Dmen wide -if they find space in the slot- they'll get a good look or shot opportunity.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think his speed wide gives him more time and space than he realizes, plus his options going into the zone are opening up. His teammates realize that they have to hustle to keep up with Jake because he's drawing the Dmen wide -if they find space in the slot- they'll get a good look or shot opportunity.

It will all come together slowly but surely B)

• Upvote 1

Been loving his play lately, atta guy Jake. The speed and acceleration he uses to just blow by defenders is so exciting to watch. Would love to see his hands catch up to his feet in the next few weeks and start potting some more goals.

Watching Jake at top speed makes me realize how incredible McDavid really is at top speed. Normally when players are at their max speed they look like Jake, just trying to keep control. McDavid can make insane moves at a similar top speed. Not sure why that really clicked watching Jake the last few games, but it did.

Man I hate the oilers.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 12:22 PM, khay said:

I don't think we have to worry about losing him for few seasons at least.

The management, as long as it's TL and JB at the helm, will not trade JV that early and because he hasn't earned that big contract yet, he will be signed at a reasonable cap so there is no concern cap wise.

I think this is the year where he establishes himself as an NHL player. I think by the end of the season, he will have become a third line player, playing 13-14 minutes a game.

I'm looking forward to what Jake can do next season. He is a fun prospect to track for sure and I think he will hit 20 goals as early as next season.

We're already seeing him progress quite a bit this year. He's been a pain for the opposition to deal with the last few weeks. Hopefully he can keep it up. Next year, Green might be able to switch him to his off wing next year, he can get more offensive production out of him on the off wing.

stumbled upon this video after seeing a lot of wjc highlights from previous years on youtube. man I miss this virtanen... i've forgotten some of the things he used to do... a guy with confidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Odd. said:

stumbled upon this video after seeing a lot of wjc highlights from previous years on youtube. man I miss this virtanen... i've forgotten some of the things he used to do... a guy with confidence.

I was at that gold medal game vs Russia. Virtanen hit everything that moved that night. Didn't matter who had the puck. 

I'm confident that his confidence will return fully once he is a staple in the lineup. He was a very raw prospect with inconsistencies and immaturity. He still has the same raw tools with a more rounded game. If I were to do it all again I would have let him bake in JR longer.

• Cheers 2

Great  seeing virtanen out ther defending the lead twice in the last 3 minutes. Big vote of confindence from the coaches.

Now I’d like to see him on the PK with his speed he should be able to get some short handed chances. Their d won’t be able to cheat down as much knowing he’s out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I know some remain disappointed in him.   I remain very keen on this player and still contend Canuck fans are only seeing the tip of this player's ultimate value to their organization.

100 %  agree.   We are seeing the birth of a  real solid top 6 forward.  Speed, aggression, size and shot is a lethal combination.

So exciting to have this kid on our club.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A player like Virtanen will never have his full contribution to team success measured just by statistics alone - but statistics do tell a story that is important.   In terms of this NHL season, he is one of the Canuck's leaders in many categories in key possession and similar statistics in per/60 minutes and one of the few Canuck forwards to remain a plus player.   His 82 game projected totals even at his team-low (from regular forwards) ice time is 13 goals which is a modest improvement over his previous NHL rate.    However, it is also above his AHL scoring rate which is of interest.    

I may be in a minority, and certainly was the past couple of off-seasons when the discussion on this player got pretty interesting, when I contend (and still do) that he will be a perennial 20ish goal scorer, 100 PIM and key top 6 stalwart that EVER OTHER team in the NHL will covet once he is fully established.   I see Green giving him enhanced rope and responsibility and the trend remains very positive for this unique package of size, speed and skill.   

I know some remain disappointed in him.   I remain very keen on this player and still contend Canuck fans are only seeing the tip of this player's ultimate value to their organization.

There is a lot to like about Jake's game other than his physical side which many fans dwell on. His speed and wrist shot are very impressive but also his passing. When I look at players I always try to visualize where they will be in 3 seasons which is a bit of BS guessing but to some extent necessary. Virtanen-Dowd-Gaunce line has been playing some good hockey. With the talent coming up that has size one has to wonder how good Jake could get with experience and big line mates. Yes I think Jake will become a core player for the Canucks. 

• Cheers 2

Different scenarios but Jake this season kind of reminds me of Kassian in the season Torts was here.

Started the season off ok, then disappeared for a bit, slowly gained confidence, and ended off the season playing the way we all wanted to see him play. Kass got 29 points (career high still) that year with a big chunk of those points (over 75 percent iirc) coming from the last 30 games of the season.

Hopefully we see the same, if not better from Jake.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A player like Virtanen will never have his full contribution to team success measured just by statistics alone - but statistics do tell a story that is important.   In terms of this NHL season, he is one of the Canuck's leaders in many categories in key possession and similar statistics in per/60 minutes and one of the few Canuck forwards to remain a plus player.   His 82 game projected totals even at his team-low (from regular forwards) ice time is 13 goals which is a modest improvement over his previous NHL rate.    However, it is also above his AHL scoring rate which is of interest.    

I may be in a minority, and certainly was the past couple of off-seasons when the discussion on this player got pretty interesting, when I contend (and still do) that he will be a perennial 20ish goal scorer, 100 PIM and key top 6 stalwart that EVER OTHER team in the NHL will covet once he is fully established.   I see Green giving him enhanced rope and responsibility and the trend remains very positive for this unique package of size, speed and skill.   

I do wonder about contributing factors like %O-zone starts, a comparison of his time when he was with the Sedins as opposed to all other linemates, etc.

Wow, this has been a long time coming, incremental steps,  . . . baby steps.  Today's game was a continuation of improvement, tiny steps each game, sometimes two up, one back, sometimes one up, one up.

Yes he made a few mistakes today, as most players did, but overall I see this continual improvement in his overall play.  I for one have been critical of his hockey IQ, but somehow he seems to be improving it.  Tonight he played one of his better games, albeit no points.  But positionally he was good, most times making the right play at the right time.   He played a SUPER SOLID game, nothing outstanding, but very solid.  Put another way, he never looked lost.  When I compare him to Goldy, who I am a big fan of because of the raw talent, he is miles ahead. 

And he can play anywhere in the lineup.  You can see it by his icetime, you can see it by when he is put out on the ice [towards the end of a game] that Green is trusting him more and more,  . . . and he should.

Finally, I feel a little calm and feel this guy was the right guy for the Canucks to draft.   Will he be a super star,  . . probably not, but will he be a big contributor to the Canucks over then next 10 + years, absolutely yes.  He WILL be part of the core.

12 hours ago, Stormriders said:

Wow, this has been a long time coming, incremental steps,  . . . baby steps.  Today's game was a continuation of improvement, tiny steps each game, sometimes two up, one back, sometimes one up, one up.

Yes he made a few mistakes today, as most players did, but overall I see this continual improvement in his overall play.  I for one have been critical of his hockey IQ, but somehow he seems to be improving it.  Tonight he played one of his better games, albeit no points.  But positionally he was good, most times making the right play at the right time.   He played a SUPER SOLID game, nothing outstanding, but very solid.  Put another way, he never looked lost.  When I compare him to Goldy, who I am a big fan of because of the raw talent, he is miles ahead. 

And he can play anywhere in the lineup.  You can see it by his icetime, you can see it by when he is put out on the ice [towards the end of a game] that Green is trusting him more and more,  . . . and he should.

Finally, I feel a little calm and feel this guy was the right guy for the Canucks to draft.   Will he be a super star,  . . probably not, but will he be a big contributor to the Canucks over then next 10 + years, absolutely yes.  He WILL be part of the core.

When Virtanen-Dowd-Gaunce were playing together their line was dominating much of the play. Several shifts where Minny was forced to the boards and possession battles saw them coming away with the puck. Pretty impressive. 

22 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

When Virtanen-Dowd-Gaunce were playing together their line was dominating much of the play. Several shifts where Minny was forced to the boards and possession battles saw them coming away with the puck. Pretty impressive. 

Virtanen played with eriksson and henrik yesterday. You might be thinking of another game