The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 7/17/2017 at 10:37 PM, Harvey Spector said:

920 pages and still going strong.  Will it be enough for Jake to make the big club this year and silence all of his doubters??

Enough to make the team, enough to continue to improve each and every month but not enough to silence doubters - it will never be enough.    

20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Enough to make the team, enough to continue to improve each and every month but not enough to silence doubters - it will never be enough.    

Considering there are still doubters of the Sedins (who in all their "wisdom" commonly refer to them as the Sedin sisters), there's going to be doubters of everyone on the team.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Building a solid house one brick at a  time 

horvat , boeser and virt

we are starting the foundation 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Building a solid house one brick at a  time 

horvat , boeser and virt

we are starting the foundation 

I like that JB's bricks are interlocking, and not all the same size or shape.  That's going to make for a much stronger foundation.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I like that JB's bricks are interlocking, and not all the same size or shape.  That's going to make for a much stronger foundation.  

Bo, Boeseer and Virt

Add Pettersson , Juolevi,  and Demko in the next few years...

Getting some solid youth.

I am hoping we can add Tryamkin back to this core group of young players....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 3

On 1/15/2018 at 6:32 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Bo, Boeseer and Virt

Add Pettersson , Juolevi,  and Demko in the next few years...

I am hoping we can add Tryamkin back to this core group of young players....

I'm hoping Tryamkin will come back too.  He could be an important piece.

But there's a whole lot more than just Pettersson, Juolevi and Demko coming.  Those are just the ones that we are going to be leaning on heavily to turn out.

But there's also Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette, Gadjovich, and possibly Lockwood and DiPietro, and for a long shot, Palmu.

If we could get guys like Virtanen to continue improving and maybe Goldobin might be able to put together a more rounded game, we will have far too many NHL-class forwards to even know what to do with.

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

What about Gadjovich, Gaudette and Virts.  Could sure stur the pot regularly night after night.::D

That would be one hell of a third line (Kesler /Burr mold) but I'd rather see this

Assuming (which is unlikely) all our recent picks develop as we expect (totally unrealistic but play along), here's the lines I would love to see down the road

Virtanen Petterson Boeser (assuming and big assumption that Virt can become a top 6 winger but his speed and hitting would help this line)- Speed/grit/elite playmaker with an elite scorer and Virt can finish too.

Baer Bo Goldobin (nothing needs to be said, just hope Goldy can show he can do it, or Lind)

Gadjovich Gaudette Lind (capable of being a 2nd line of most teams if they show they can play to their ceilings)

Gaunce Dowd McEwan/Labate (grit, checking, shutdown line, annoying to play against, and McEwan/Labate can intimidate)

8 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

That would be one hell of a third line (Kesler /Burr mold) but I'd rather see this

Assuming (which is unlikely) all our recent picks develop as we expect (totally unrealistic but play along), here's the lines I would love to see down the road

Virtanen Petterson Boeser (assuming and big assumption that Virt can become a top 6 winger but his speed and hitting would help this line)- Speed/grit/elite playmaker with an elite scorer and Virt can finish too.

Baer Bo Goldobin (nothing needs to be said, just hope Goldy can show he can do it, or Lind)

Gadjovich Gaudette Lind (capable of being a 2nd line of most teams if they show they can play to their ceilings)

Gaunce Dowd McEwan/Labate (grit, checking, shutdown line, annoying to play against, and McEwan/Labate can intimidate)

I'd rather Gadjovich on the first line if his skating can improve. A line that has an elite passer/good shooter in Pettersson and an elite sniper in Boeser needs a net front presence for screening/tipping/garbage goals. Vanek kind of plays that role on the PP for the Sedins and Boeser sometimes.

I like Bo and Baer (if he's still here by then) with Goldobin (if he's still here) because I think they can show him defensive responsibility.

Virtanen can be a good third line checker with speed who can shoot (with questionable accuracy). Disappointing for a 6th overall pick but Torres was a critical role in our cup run depth so if Virt can be a less dirty version of him that we keep long term, that'd be aces. Problem is he isn't using his body nearly enough anymore.

13 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'd rather Gadjovich on the first line

Virtanen can be a good third line checker with speed who can shoot

IMHO you are significantly overly optimistic on one player and significantly pessimistic on another.    

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

He actually got an assist for that after the game and now has the lead in scoring joining Timrå 7 games into the season 

IMG_0162.PNG

10 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Forgetting someone IMO.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'd rather Gadjovich on the first line if his skating can improve. A line that has an elite passer/good shooter in Pettersson and an elite sniper in Boeser needs a net front presence for screening/tipping/garbage goals. Vanek kind of plays that role on the PP for the Sedins and Boeser sometimes.

I like Bo and Baer (if he's still here by then) with Goldobin (if he's still here) because I think they can show him defensive responsibility.

Virtanen can be a good third line checker with speed who can shoot (with questionable accuracy). Disappointing for a 6th overall pick but Torres was a critical role in our cup run depth so if Virt can be a less dirty version of him that we keep long term, that'd be aces. Problem is he isn't using his body nearly enough anymore.

I see Gadjovich and Virtanen as interchangable and depending on who maxes out higher is a better first line winger. I am not judging 'what' virtanen is until he's 24/25. If he can be a 40 pt winger and hit, intimidate, drive the net, with his speed on the first line he's all we need.

Gadjovich needs to improve his speed for sure and while Boeser is improving there, he'll never be a burner. You need someone to get in on the forecheck and do the dirty work to get Petterson the puck, who then feeds Brock in his spots to score. Much of the reason Babcock loves Hyman on the first line is because he is fast and does all the hard / dirty work to get Matthews and Nyalnder the puck. Much as Burr did for the twins, i just think irrespective of where Virtanen ends up points wise, with his speed he can be exactly what "that" first line needs to be incredibly effective, and he only needs to work hard to be that player already.

15 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

I see Gadjovich and Virtanen as interchangable and depending on who maxes out higher is a better first line winger. I am not judging 'what' virtanen is until he's 24/25. If he can be a 40 pt winger and hit, intimidate, drive the net, with his speed on the first line he's all we need.

Gadjovich needs to improve his speed for sure and while Boeser is improving there, he'll never be a burner. You need someone to get in on the forecheck and do the dirty work to get Petterson the puck, who then feeds Brock in his spots to score. Much of the reason Babcock loves Hyman on the first line is because he is fast and does all the hard / dirty work to get Matthews and Nyalnder the puck. Much as Burr did for the twins, i just think irrespective of where Virtanen ends up points wise, with his speed he can be exactly what "that" first line needs to be incredibly effective, and he only needs to work hard to be that player already.

They are both wingers but Jonah is a left winger and Jake is a right winger. Maybe they both should flank Pettersson. ::D