The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think they were once allowed, but in modern times, I'm pretty sure it's limited. Cap Friendly puts it this way:

For example, Brock Boeser has made a bunch of extra cash based on the performance bonuses in his ELC. Alternatively, if the twins sign 1-year deals next year, they could have performance bonuses on their deals as well. Jake is just finishing his ELC now and obviously doesn't meet the second or third criteria either, thus he isn't eligible for performance bonuses.

Ok, thanks! Did not know all of this; kinda surprising, but it does make the cap easier to figure out

Jake didn't make Jim & Trevor pick him at 6h overalll.  You can't blame Jake for that.  When we took him my thoughts were that he would probably be at best a 20 goal scorer who would bring other things like physical play and speed with a descent shot.  I am on the "be patient" team as I think he is maybe a bit of a late bloomer.  I also have a tough time giving up on a 21 year old kid.  I have confidence in Greener and his working with Jake.  Also, someone mentioned that Jake has 3 seasons of gifted ice time with the Canucks.  He has only played 2 seasons in the NHL and 1 in the AHL. ::D

Edited by dpn1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Virtanen is a dud. He may turn into something for us but he still was a dud of a pick.

Thank the hockey gods we made up for it with Boeser though.

As true as this is, I really hope Jake reads this and gets angry. Does SOMETHINGANYTHING to reach the next level.  

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Virtanen is a dud. He may turn into something for us but he still was a dud of a pick.

Thank the hockey gods we made up for it with Boeser though.

Unfortunately, I really feel he is a dud, and I'm scared that Juolevi is going to be the same.

I don't know if Jake is being overcoached, but he seems to have as much hockey IQ as a NHL 11 CPU player.

Has anyone ever noticed Markus Naslund's first 3 or 4 years was uneventfull.  It wasn't until  his second season in Vancouver that we start to see him turn it around.  I have heard Naslund say that he credits Messier as the one that really helpped him.  I think this was the best thing Messier did in Vancouver.  This would be a good example of a player taking a little longer time to come into his own.  I see Jake on a simular path.  Jake is not the first player to be a late bloomer.

Jake is a tough one to figure out. It's obvious to anybody who's played the game that his skating (which is truly exceptional) and size (a so-far unrealized asset) make Jake what Benning called "potentially a truly unique player" if he puts it all together. The problem is he has no consistency in his game and as a result Green doesn't feel he can rely on him. One night he shows up against Tampa and hits every thing that moves and then the next night he's avoiding hits and looks like he can't get the puck off his stick fast enough. Is Green a little heavy handed in his treatment of Jake? Maybe a little. Are the twins the appropriate mentors for his game? Doubtfully, they couldn't be more different as players and I think that ship sailed when they threw him under the bus after the Polak hit. I think what Jake really suffers from is a lack of an appropriate mentor in a teammate, somebody to model his game after. Problem is, we don't have that type of player to teach Jake what we want him to be and from what I've seen of Jake so far I don't think he's got the hockey I.Q. to figure it out by himself.

You guys are ridiculous. Jake is 5th on the team for hits and 1st amongst forwards with 74, second is Granlund with 47. He leads the team in Takeaways with 33, while being 8th on the team in giveaways with 20. He is arguably the fastest skater on the team and can blow past defenders. Such a joke reading your petty comments about this young kid.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Jake is a tough one to figure out. It's obvious to anybody who's played the game that his skating (which is truly exceptional) and size (a so-far unrealized asset) make Jake what Benning called "potentially a truly unique player" if he puts it all together. The problem is he has no consistency in his game and as a result Green doesn't feel he can rely on him. One night he shows up against Tampa and hits every thing that moves and then the next night he's avoiding hits and looks like he can't get the puck off his stick fast enough. Is Green a little heavy handed in his treatment of Jake? Maybe a little. Are the twins the appropriate mentors for his game? Doubtfully, they couldn't be more different as players and I think that ship sailed when they threw him under the bus after the Polak hit. I think what Jake really suffers from is a lack of an appropriate mentor in a teammate, somebody to model his game after. Problem is, we don't have that type of player to teach Jake what we want him to be and from what I've seen of Jake so far I don't think he's got the hockey I.Q. to figure it out by himself.

Evander Kane

4 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I think the same could be said of most of the team, outside of Bo and Brock. The mass fluctuations in effort and intensity have been an issue for this team for a few years now. I don't think that can be pegged on the young guys, rather the vets who proliferate it.

Jake's 21 years old. Not every 21 year old player will blow the lid of the joint out of the gate.

When Henrik commented on the Polak hit, I lost a huge amount of respect for him as a captain. You just don't dress down players on the team you're supposedly leading to the media. It's extremely bad form.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 1

Not sure why this board has this insane love affair for Fake Virtanen. He hasnt even done anything that makes you want to have hope for the dud. Whats even more sad is he has no value. We would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him. Cut yours losses with this dud and hope we get a bag of pucks for this inconsistent trash.

Edited by captainhorvat
Spelt Jake instead of Fake

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think the same could be said of most of the team, outside of Bo and Brock. The mass fluctuations in effort and intensity have been an issue for this team for a few years now. I don't think that can be pegged on the young guys, rather the vets who proliferate it.

Jake's 21 years old. Not every 21 year old player will blow the lid of the joint out of the gate.

When Henrik commented on the Polak hit, I lost a huge amount of respect for him as a captain. You just don't dress down players on the team you're supposedly leading to the media. It's extremely bad form.

Agreed, I don't remember Henrik publicly dressing down Edler after his transgressions 

Just now, captainhorvat said:

Not sure why this board has this insane love affair for Fake Virtanen. He hasnt even done anything that makes you want to have hope for the dud. Whats even more sad is he has no value. We would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him. Cut yours losses with this dud and hope we get a bag of pucks for this trash.

I get it. He sold you a car that turned out to be a lemon. That's why you have this irrational hatred towards him.

1 minute ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Agreed, I don't remember Henrik publicly dressing down Edler after his transgressions 

Neither do I. This team needs a captain that will take personal responsibility for the team's play and not throw other players under the bus like Luongo, or dress down rookies to the media like Henrik.

Looking forward to Bo getting the C, hopefully next season. Please Gord in heaven above make it next season!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, guntrix said:

At some point we’re gonna have to look beyond this ‘baby steps’ approach and begin to analyze just what exactly he brings to the table as an NHL player, especially with his contract negotiation coming up. 

For starters, his production can be overlooked if he were a physical force out there. He isn’t. Secondly, “getting a full NHL season under his belt while demonstrating all the key things the coaching crew wanted him to improve” is belittling him. He’s turning 22 this year and should no longer be hand-held and treated the same as the 17 year-old Jake we drafted. 

Per Todd Bertuzzi a few days ago and so many “bigger” guys I played with and/or against, the emergence in the 24-27 range is common.   That timeframe works fine with the Canucks cycle.

5 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

With the way his nhl career is goin it wont be long before he starts selling cars...

Leader in hits among forwards. Leader in takeaways on the whole team.

How many used cars did you sell last week?

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1