The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

22 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Lol ,Wow easy Bud? You can go back just a few pages to read the BS spewed from your superior knowledge on who has it or more so who will never get it. Waste of a first round pick, ect. You ,Guntrix,fosrsberg  and a few others have not debated but tried to bully your negative thoughts down anybodys throats who had anything positive to say or even hope for jakes success. He's being played with players that showcase his skills, off the sedin line. I honestly believe he that period of time (the beginning of this years and last years stint in Utica) was designed to develop him defensively . Or it could be his incredibly low IQ....

If you think pointing out facts is bullying. I feel very sorry for you, life must be hard. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If you think pointing out facts is bullying. I feel very sorry for you, life must be hard. 

I don't think he is talking about the facts presented as much as the crass language used around the facts.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

How did you see those things though?  When did he ever show those qualities?  Obviously we all knew about his speed but even that has somehow improved greatly.   And to be fair, you support every move the Canucks make so yeah of course you supported Jake, so really it's not much to brag about now is it?  

Obviously his lack of fitness was understated by many including myself, but how could it not be?  Who and how do you come to camp 30 pounds overweight while under the guidance of apparently a professional fitness coach.  He looks like a completely different person.  

I watch a lot of hockey - luckily I also get paid to do so or else I would be on the streets :lol:.    I am not bragging, I am stating facts about a kid that I first saw film on when he was in Abbotsford Minor (I think that is how it is spelled) and he was dominant.   In the WHL when he applied himself, he was dominant.   I also saw a kid who needed to be with other players who "got it" as he was easily frustrated and clearly lacked some refinement coaching.   I was worried for him when he was put into the NHL as a very young 18 year old versus allowing him the chance to get the nurturing he got with Travis Green in Utica last year.   IF you had cared to read any of my posts of watching him play last year in Utica, it was apparently after about Christmas that he had found his game, his love of the game again and though it didn't speak up on the stat sheet, his overall game (and underlying numbers for anyone who likes those) was and were outstanding most nights.   This year, even when people continued to poo on him, he was very responsible away from the puck and even though having nearly the bottom of the barrel for regulars in terms of ice time still manages to lead the forwards in hits per game in terms of hits per 60 mins is up with league leaders for forwards.

Not sure why you insist on making this about bragging or whatever it is you seemingly need to make is personal.   It always seems to become personal with some of you.   Calling a player (another human) things you would never say to another person's face.   Saying things about a legal child (not yet and adult) in Virtanen when he started his Canuck journey.

Yes, I supported him and I will tend to support most players as I get what they have gone through to get where they are.   I also recognize elite talent and this kid has that - few do - this kid does.  Go ahead and laugh at that.  Call me whatever it is that makes you feel better but it won't change the facts that this kid is one heck of a hockey player and will continue to develop and somewhere soon the entire league will know it.   

Oh, I don't think it was a lack of fitness as much as a misguided attempt to bulk up thinking he needed it for next level.   I have not a clue as to what professional fitness coach you refer to (name? - I was not aware there was such a person identified), but if that is factual then the person should be avoided like the plague.   A kid got some bad advice and probably expected the next level to be as easy as each step along the way was for him - rude awakening and he has responded with hard work versus running and hiding like a lot do.

Hate on!   :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Lol ,Wow easy Bud? You can go back just a few pages to read the BS spewed from your superior knowledge on who has it or more so who will never get it. Waste of a first round pick, ect. You ,Guntrix,fosrsberg  and a few others have not debated but tried to bully your negative thoughts down anybodys throats who had anything positive to say or even hope for jakes success. He's being played with players that showcase his skills, off the sedin line. I honestly believe he that period of time (the beginning of this years and last years stint in Utica) was designed to develop him defensively . Or it could be his incredibly low IQ....

As FTG said, you must not deal well with facts.

Many Jake supporters have said it already- his biggest obstacle today is consistency. There's no point in coming to this thread to circle jerk every time he has a great game just to disappear when he devolves into vintage Jake again. I still maintain that we have a good bottom six energy player on our hands; Jake has yet to exhibit the kind of consistency and production to seriously consider him a top-6 forward at the NHL level (but if you think we have the next Marchessault on our hands, all the power to you).

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, guntrix said:

As FTG said, you must not deal well with facts.

Many Jake supporters have said it already- his biggest obstacle today is consistency. There's no point in coming to this thread to circle jerk every time he has a great game just to disappear when he devolves into vintage Jake again. I still maintain that we have a good bottom six energy player on our hands; Jake has yet to exhibit the kind of consistency and production to seriously consider him a top-6 forward at the NHL level (but if you think we have the next Marchessault on our hands, all the power to you).

I could not agree more with this bolded part.   I think if Jake figures that out, and I confident he will by 23-24 (like many bigger guys do), he will be far more than a bottom six energy guy but it will be fun to see which if us is right.   I think the fact he is a bonafide NHL player making an impact is something that was hard to say about him until this year so I doubt anyone would argue the kid hasn't made strides.    If he can bottle the past few weeks where he looks like a 20 plus goal scorer with elite disruptive speed and a willingness to use his body (his hits per game is moving upward, and his hits per 60 is heading elite direction) then he will more than meet the expectations of a 6th pick.  If he cannot find that consistency, that would be a disappointment and even the most negative I am sure don't hope for that.

Marchessault is an example - but I am still thinking (forget raw stats, just in terms of relative career progression) that Bertuzzi remains an intriguing compare.  I know Bert was more successful in terms of points early on but had waaaay more ice time and was given better players/roles to play in BUT he was also likely more inconsistent than Jake too.   I am NOT saying Jake will ever be best player in the game (which Bertuzzi arguably was for a few seasons) but he really didn't "emerge" until his draft year plus 7 and in his draft plus 5 season got a whopping 13 goals in 74 games and few would have predicted he would have been on the verge of averaging 31 goals/82 games pace over a dominant six season stretch.

I like how Bertuzzi seems to have taken an interest in Virtanen.   I hope the Canucks formalize that relationship.  Todd is a good guy and has a lot to offer.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Seems like there is a debate of whether or not Jake will be a bottom-six guy or a top-six guy. How about middle six? That's where I see him ending up.

You trying to be Switzerland here?   :lol:

38 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

It's a discussion board, not everything is going to be sunshine and rainbows.  If I didn't have to wipe away so many peoples tears for them this wouldn't be nearly as a big of a deal as it has become.  

At the end of the day it's his draft +4 and he still will struggle to hit 10+ goals in any of his pro seasons and the guys around him are excelling, just like I had predicted.  There was always a good chance that I could be wrong, he was a 6th overall pick after all.  He still hasn't proven anything, it's just been a few good weeks.  We need him to become a consistent player who impacts the game physically, I am a Canucks fan and I hate losing and I hate being pushed around.  I am still a Virtanen fan 

Thats very noble of you to stand for the masses and wipe their tears. Of course as a discussion board there will always be differences of opinions but because others choose a different view there is no need to force yours upon any others.I blocked all of forsbergs and guntrixs posts and responses a long time ago  so could avoid reading a page of callous remarks because a poster decided to share 1 of his/her thoughts about Jake. I find it much more palatable now, no matter what opinions are voiced.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You trying to be Switzerland here?   :lol:

I'm always Switzerland, haha.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So like a 15-15 to 20-20 guy? Seems reasonable.

Yeah, I see him as something like that.

Not sure if it's been mentioned. I just love how when Jake hits someone against the boards the glass shakes and rattles. Then once hit the opponents always seem to look for him. Like a "Frkk. I felt that look"

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Seems like there is a debate of whether or not Jake will be a bottom-six guy or a top-six guy. How about middle six? That's where I see him ending up.

With his speed and stick skills, he could conceivably play up and down the lineup, whether as a checker, scorer, or complementary player.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Good on Jake for realising that Boeser was his main competition and leaving the door open(pun!) for that injury.:bigblush:

Ha, seriously though this is JV's time, hope he makes the most of it.  I still don't get why everyone brings up Bertuzzi though, they're really nothing alike at all. 

9 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Been loving our boys play lately. I really hope he maintains this pace the rest of the year. This is the player I have always maintained was hiding in there. Stoked for him.

Yup.  JB could have drafted a soft little 50 point winger (we all know which two softies) or gone for the potential in Jake.  I'm glad JB took the gamble on Jake.  If Jake becomes consistent, we have a more valuable piece on a winning team.  Those little softies JB passed over accomplish little (get it, little?) to nothing without the bigger bodies creating space for them.  Maybe JB, in drafting Jake, made the best pick for our future team being the best it could possibly by?  I am now.

• Cheers 3