The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

That kid just accelerates like no other, he just blew by those guys like they were standing still

That speed is going to translate into the NHL without issue

For some reason, I thought speed wasn't a big part of his game. But the more highlights I see, the more wrong my initial perception was. And I'm real glad for that.

Here are Virtanen's shifts from his pro debut against Oklahoma City. Barring a missed shift somewhere, he had roughly 6.5-7 minutes of icetime and didn't play a single second of the final 12.5 minutes of the game. He had a couple solid hits, a few shots on goal, and got into it with a Barons player, as you'd expect. Given his role as a 4th liner and his very limited minutes, I thought he did quite well. We never got to see him really fly and display his speed, which was unfortunate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3szMgTwAZHQ

Side note: I'm usually on the side of Travis Green but I thought that Virtanen deserved to play at least another shift in those final 12.5 minutes. I know they were down by two, and later by one, but he wasn't a liability out there and the fact of the matter is that no one else up to that 2-1 goal was getting it done either. I know it's his professional debut but you are looking for goals and he is an offensively inclined player.

• Upvote 2