The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Nah, we all gotta stand behind Kassquatch..'The missing Link' is a bit of a wild hillbilly, who could well develop into a Van cult-leader.

He needs to go Gary Roberts-style, & train his way into premium health.

I love how Kass can play any which way-need guys like that, late-season/spring.

Elite Prospects has Jake at 6-1 and 207. Given normal growth, we would expect him to be maybe 6-2 and 220 to 225 at age 21 or 22. I agree that he will be better physical player than Kassian. He makes more hits, harder hits, and plays a more consistent physical game. Kassian can have a great shift and then do some fly-bys when he should use his body.

Part of the problem could be his back, of course. If he is having back trouble it will be difficult to be a physical player and may be difficult to play at all. Right now I am not expecting much from Kassian. Too bad Gillis did not get a better trade for Hodgson.

Yea that is pretty much how I feel about Kassian too. He shows flashes of a true PWF, but it is not nearly consistent enough.

I highly doubt Jake ever being a healthy scratch when he is Kassians age in the NHL.

virtanen is to young to play in ahl next yr :( he looks great up there throwing checks and getting shots away this kid is gonna be unreal in 3-4 yrs when hes got 20 more pounds of muscle no one in league will be able to stop this kid

Exactly why he'll be in the NHL B)

• Upvote 2

Yes, he was. He is certainly one of the best skaters in the CHL, maybe the best. The fact that he is an excellent skater, has good size and strength, a very good shot and plays with intensity pretty much guarantees he can at least be legitimate bottom 6 forward in the NHL.

But it also explains why people expected more than a point a game in his 18-year-old year in Junior. Given his basic skills it seems like he should be more dominant. He was kind of inconsistent this year, with good stretches and disappointing stretches and that explains why he is now ranked well behind Ehlers, Nylander, and Ritchie -- all of whom were picked after him in the draft. But things are fluid at this stage and he could have a big year next year. And his game could translate well to the NHL. So his ceiling is still pretty high.

He certainly did not look out of place tonight playing for Utica, which is a good sign.

hmm maybe the less then expected point totals this year had something to do with having shoulder surgery at the beginning of the year?

Here are some post-game Travis Green quotes regarding Virtanen that should be of interest to everyone:

Travis Green said he would try to get Virtanen more time Wednesday: "He's a really good hockey player. He played physical. ....

"I was happy with his game." Virtanen is listed at 6-1, 207. Built thick, smooth, and can fly.

• Upvote 4

hmm maybe the less then expected point totals this year had something to do with having shoulder surgery at the beginning of the year?

The surgery was in MAY 2014. I can see it having an effect on him in the beginning of the season but after 20 games, it shouldn't be considered a factor.

Elite Prospects has Jake at 6-1 and 207. Given normal growth, we would expect him to be maybe 6-2 and 220 to 225 at age 21 or 22. I agree that he will be better physical player than Kassian. He makes more hits, harder hits, and plays a more consistent physical game. Kassian can have a great shift and then do some fly-bys when he should use his body.

Part of the problem could be his back, of course. If he is having back trouble it will be difficult to be a physical player and may be difficult to play at all. Right now I am not expecting much from Kassian. Too bad Gillis did not get a better trade for Hodgson.

He probably could have if:

1) He'd been more patient. And waited to trade in the offseason.

2) Had he'd let other teams know that he was willing to trade Hodgson for the right price.

Let's face it, Gillis didn't want to deal with Hodgson and his camp. However how much of this is true, we'll probably never know.

I find it interesting that since Hodgson was traded to Buffalo, I've never heard any issues from the GM in Buffalo about him griping about ice time. Despite being a healthy scratch and demoted practically to the 4th line.

• Upvote 1

Granted it's junior, but Jake looks like the better fighter. He's more of a straight-up pain on the ice whereas Kassian is an unpredictable eccentric that you have to watch out for in case he snaps and does something crazy. Tough and intimidating in different ways -- nice to have them both.

Yeah dont know what people are bitching about i would like to see both on the same line together, Virtanen-Horvat-Kassian in preseaso next year.

He probably could have if:

1) He'd been more patient. And waited to trade in the offseason.

2) Had he'd let other teams know that he was willing to trade Hodgson for the right price.

Let's face it, Gillis didn't want to deal with Hodgson and his camp. However how much of this is true, we'll probably never know.

I find it interesting that since Hodgson was traded to Buffalo, I've never heard any issues from the GM in Buffalo about him griping about ice time. Despite being a healthy scratch and demoted practically to the 4th line.

Wasn't Hodgson for John Carlson one of the deals that were in place

Looked like a feeling-out game, he didn't cheat much offensively it looked like he was more just trying to be a physical play-driver for his first game. It looked like he was playing kind of reserved, in a I-don't-want-to-hurt-the-team kind of way. I'm sure (like Horvat was with the Canucks) that with more games he will try to try more stuff.

I wouldn't construe anything from that game other than from the look of some of those hits he's physically mature enough to play at the AHL level.

Edited by riley57

Wasn't Hodgson for John Carlson one of the deals that were in place

Gillis asked for Carlson, Washington said no.

Phx offered Turris and a mid round pick (this is when Turris had say out the first half of the year), gillis said No.

Toronto called and was told they didn't have the pieces to make a trade for Hodgson.

How good would Turris look right now on our team- our future 1C... Drool

Hindsight baby

He doesn't know how to play on the boards though. I think that's an important part of the game he needs to work on in juniors before taking the next step.

Well Green's reason for moving Gaunce to the wing was to teach him how to play on the boards so why can't Virtanen get the same coaching?

A year in the AHL (year after next) would be far more beneficial if it is under Green. In fact imo if Kassian had spent another year in the AHL under a coach like Green he would be a much more successful player.

Edited by alfstonker

Looked like a feeling-out game, he didn't cheat much offensively it looked like he was more just trying to be a physical play-driver for his first game. It looked like he was playing kind of reserved, in a I-don't-want-to-hurt-the-team kind of way. I'm sure (like Horvat was with the Canucks) that with more games he will try to try more stuff.

I wouldn't construe anything from that game other than from the look of some of those hits he's physically mature enough to play at the AHL level.

Hopefully we will have Bancks back for the eliminator.

Virt will no doubt be a star but he does not have a tenth of the physical intimidation Kass does.

I think Jared Hauf may disagree with you! Bigger player that Virtanen threw over the bench:

Link:

Hauf = 6'5" 223 lbs

Virtanen = 6'1" 205 lbs

Edited by VegasCanuck