The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

So far the most I can see Virtanen turning out to be is a Chris Krieder, which is not bad, he can turn out to be a 15-20 goal guy in the NHL. I just don't see a top line talent in Jake Virtanen, but I do see a 2nd line talent in him.

The issues I have with him is he doesn't demand the game on his stick. Players like Corey Perry, they make sure they have the game on their stick. They demand the puck, they crash the net, they get in the face of the defence, they get open for wicket shots, they have something unique. So far I haven't seen this from Virtanen, I watched some games of Calgary Hitmen and saw the same thing. However I do see a Chris Krieder.

Use your body and speed and go to the net, instead he takes lame shots from the outside. There is alot of time for him to improve his game style, but so far I see what I see.

Curious how often you got out to see mr perry play in London?

he's still fairly young so I do think he'll grow as well. He's got to the play the game that will get him into the league which is the big man game - kid's going to be power forward and I am excited as.....desiboy when he sees bo sang on the score sheet.

I got a good chuckle out of this one ::D

^^^ Tough call. Benning says he'll make room for young players when they are ready. There are several who will get a shot for waiver reasons obviously (Baer, Corrado, Clendening) but a bunch of others who are close including Virtanen and Gaunce. This Calder run is definitely helping.

The year after next, there is going to be even more pressure to bring young guys up.

I think that long term, Benning would like to bring 1 or 2 rookies up every year.

lmao you think Virt will pummel guys into submission cmon man Virt is no where near the aggressive player Kassian is. Virt is most likely going to be a hundred times more offensive though.

I think the opposite imo, Virtanen has punishing solid hits almost every game, Kassian doesnt hit that well, he struggles to line guys up and he often leads with his arms out whereas Virtanen is all shoulder, he is just a better hitter by quite a large margin IMO.

Edited by VANcanucks92
  • Upvote 2

Here are some good shots of Virtanen in Canuck colours. A glimpse into the future?

11210495_468921369950780_907631146225655

11329985_468918519951065_698553346183262

11139388_468918523284398_262855218905982

11049106_468918449951072_49750694949209311088341_468917933284457_225830325420675

11078259_468918186617765_672140683183447

The third picture down in this set is funny...that was a huge hit by Virt and half the people in the stands behind arent even watching the play and none are smiling..not a happy looking group and that was early in the game.lol

I think the opposite imo, Virtanen has punishing solid hits almost every game, Kassian doesnt hit that well, he struggles to line guys up and he often leads with his arms out whereas Virtanen is all shoulder, he is just a better hitter by quite a large margin IMO.

He is not a fighter and will not pummel anyone into submission is what I was getting at. I should have been more clear on my point sorry.

He is a skilled power forward in the making. Totally agree Kass struggles hitting but not with his fists. Not saying I want Virt to do that at all either.

The way some are posting in this thread they think Virt is going to be the next Neely. Unless Virt puts on another 20-30 pounds which would slow him down considerably we are not going to see him take on the role of a bruiser.

I agree. Kassian can fight but Virtanen is superior when it comes to the art of throwing hits.

He is not a fighter and will not pummel anyone into submission is what I was getting at. I should have been more clear on my point sorry.

He is a skilled power forward in the making. Totally agree Kass struggles hitting but not with his fists. Not saying I want Virt to do that at all either.

The way some are posting in this thread they think Virt is going to be the next Neely. Unless Virt puts on another 20-30 pounds which would slow him down considerably we are not going to see him take on the role of a bruiser.

Who cares. I hardly see any fighting in the playoffs, do you?

Sedum Sedin Kassian

Beartschi Horvat Vrabata

Burrows Bonino Virtanen

Higgins Cassels/Richardsson Hansen

Dorsett

Vey

Hmmmm - that forward group looks pretty cramped on RW not to mention Jensen

I doubt virtanen gets full time with the big team

Edited by Canucks Curse

Sedum Sedin Kassian

Beartschi Horvat Vrabata

Burrows Bonino Virtanen

Higgins Cassels/Richardsson Hansen

Dorsett

Vey

Hmmmm - that forward group looks pretty cramped on RW not to mention Jensen

I doubt virtanen gets full time with the big team

If Virtanen is going to make the team it will mean Higgins is moved IMO. Also There's almost zero chance Horvat starts at 2C IMO. He might finish the year there but I'd be shocked if WD starts him there.

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Virtanen, Richardson/Cassels, Dorsett

Vey