The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

If he ends up being a player like Torres I'd be more than happy.

Torres was a terror. He literally scared guys when he was out there because he hit you like a TRUCK.

Downside is these days you can knock another guy out of a game with a clean check, and still get suspended.... like this:  yeah it was late but that is straight up shoulder on shoulder and he uncorked a guy who was 6'1 240 lbs and was 2nd in the league in hits.... that sends a message, you better believe it.

Seriously... who gets a game misconduct for interference, LMFAO.....

Edited by darkpoet

Virtanen and Horvat looked great together and I'd love for the 3 kids to play with each other. They'll obviously have a lot of chemistry and score some pretty, fast goals, but my only concern is the lack of a true veteran and consistent work ethic. Horvat has been good at times but defensive lulls last year for sure being under massive pressure playing against star forwards in the West. Baertschi was very much an inconsistent scorer all season and Virtanen cooled off for long stretches too.

I think the best thing to do is have a guy who scores and works consistently to play with the kids to keep them going during their cold spells. That guy is Hansen. Slot Hansen in with Baertschi and Horvat, and play Virtanen on the 3rd or 4th line with a veteran similar to his own style of play like Sutter or even Burrows or Dorsett - all 3 of them are more consistent veterans like the Sedins who are great mentors.

Horvat, Baertschi and Virtanen will be fantastic at times, but over the long haul their consistency will let them down which is when we'll need to change them up and Hansen is the perfect guy to swap in.

All this Bert talk and the guy didn't hit 50 points in his career until his fifth NHL season (when he was 24), he didn't hit his massive 97 point season until 3 years after that. We are expecting Jake to post numbers like that in 3-4 years, when realistically, if it were to happen, it would probably take around 7-8. Not saying he couldn't do it earlier, just saying were putting way too much pressure on the kid. 
Yes Bert had "soft hands" but that developed over time. Before his 50 point seasons his point totals were: 39, 23, 33, and 16. 
With taking into consideration amount of games played, in Bertuzzi's 3rd season with the Islanders he had 18 points in 52 games at 22 years of age. Last year Jake had 13 points in 55 games at 19 years of age. I feel like there's no use in losing hope already, because the path he is on is quite normal for a power forward his age. 
Other examples of Powerforwards starting slow:
Milan Lucic: took 4 seasons to hit 50+ points (at the age of 23), the season before that he had 20 points in 50 games. 
Wayne Simmonds: 23 points in 82GP his first season, took 6 seasons (age 25) to hit 50+ points
David Backes: 23 points in 49 games in his first season (3 years after being drafted), took 3 seasons (age 25) to hit 50+ points
Scott Hartnell: 16 points in 75GP his first season (similar age to Jake, worse PPG average), took 8 season to hit 50+ points (age 27). 
Andrew Ladd: 21 points in 65 games in points in his 2nd season (age 21), it took him 6 season (age 26) to hit 50+ points.

I would say that Jake (at this point) seems most similar to Ladd or Hartnell in production, and they were picked at similar spots (Hartnell at 6th, Ladd at 4th). Be patient with the kid, and we'll be fine. Don't call him a bust yet, because realistically he may be average until around 24 years old. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Needing time to develop does not make him Bertuzzi.

The best comparison to Jake is Raffi Torres. Uses speed to augment his size and hit and pot the occasion dirty goal. Bert had a much different level of hockey IQ compared to Jake and it was evident back when Bert was Jake's age.

The only two comparables is that the both were not finished developing and Bert rhymes with Virt.

Virtanen is still so young. I know he's not Bert, but to say that Jake's best comparison is to Torres is a bit of an insult. Virtanen is Virtanen. I'm hoping that Torres is the FLOOR, and that his ceiling is that much better of Raffi's. And I think he will be better than Torres as a player. Time will tell, of course. 

• Upvote 1

Comparing to bertuzzi is silly, but also comparing him to Torres is also silly and overreacting to junior stats. People give up on players so easily nowadays. Virt to me is in his prime a consistent 50-60 point player who can get 30 goals, which is not raffi Torres. Of course he won't be bertuzzi, but he's no raffi Torres.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rex425 said:

Comparing to bertuzzi is silly, but also comparing him to Torres is also silly and overreacting to junior stats. People give up on players so easily nowadays. Virt to me is in his prime a consistent 50-60 point player who can get 30 goals, which is not raffi Torres. Of course he won't be bertuzzi, but he's no raffi Torres.

He's more Cam Neely than either of those two: big hitting, scoring winger.  Although JV is a way better skater than Neely.

• Upvote 1

1040 guys now discussing the Virtanen injury on the pre-game show.  They are suggesting it's (perhaps) a lot worse than the team is letting on.  If TSN 1040 has supposedly been directed to be softer with their Canuck's comments, how do we read this?  

Just now, The 5th Line said:

If he hurt the same shoulder then it would be a colossal fail as an organization drafting a kid who just came off surgery.  A physical power forward with shoulder problems already = Damaged goods.  Let's hope it's not serious but boy oh boy If you think I didn't like this draft pick before this shoulder injury... 

Didn't we do the same thing with Alex Stoyanoff?  You know my views on JV, but I do question drafting a guy who needs to have healthy shoulders to play his role effectively.  That's like an NBA team taking a Big, who's coming off foot surgery, right?

It's the same shoulder he had surgery on for a torn labrum just before we drafted him.

We don't know how bad the injury is, but the fact that the Canucks are apparently wanting a second opinion from another doctor gets my Spidey senses tingling. We've all seen first hand how injuries have impacted players such as Ohlund, Salo, & especially Edler. They were never the same after their injuries and in Edler's case has prevented him from becoming the impact player everyone hoped for and saw glimpses of before his back injury.

Hopefully this isn't the case with Virtanen.

Edited by MJDDawg

7 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

It's the same shoulder he had surgery on for a torn labrum just before we drafted him.

We don't know how bad the injury is, but the fact that the Canucks are apparently wanting a second opinion from another doctor gets my Spidey senses tingling. We've all seen first hand how injuries have impacted players such as Ohlund, Salo, & especially Edler. They were never the same after their injuries and in Edler's case has prevented him from becoming the impact player everyone hoped for and saw glimpses of before his back injury.

Hopefully this isn't the case with Virtanen.

one can hope. 

Seeing Skille show the ability to use his body, scrap, skate, go to the net...

i see no reason why you wouldnt give him a one year deal and let Jake eat big minutes in the A.  He needs to develop and get confident in his offensive game.  I think a year with Coach Green with a few callups will be of tremendous benefit for Jakes long term success.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, 70seven said:

Seeing Skille show the ability to use his body, scrap, skate, go to the net...

i see no reason why you wouldnt give him a one year deal and let Jake eat big minutes in the A.  He needs to develop and get confident in his offensive game.  I think a year with Coach Green with a few callups will be of tremendous benefit for Jakes long term success.

Or put Jack in the A and watch Virtanen destroy up here.

Shouldn't hurt if Virt goes to the A. We all see how gaunce turned out and he turned out a much better player, he knows how to use his body and his all around game. Not to mention we have green, lots of people callso him one of the best coaches in the A and people also wants him to coach the nucks instead of the WD.