avelanch

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

5 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

Good goal here by JV.  He had a pretty good game tonight.  https://streamable.com/lfg6

is that 2 goals in 2 games?

Edited by Rush17

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Power forwards usually start  to make a jump in their play/development around 22-24. 

IMO he's got too many tools and has the right attitude to not be at the very least a solid middle 6 guy. Top 6 if he reaches his ceiling.  

People just shouldn't be surprised/disappointed not to see it for another 2-4 years.

Patience. 

Unfortunately, that likely means a LOT more Nylander/Ehlers bitching for the next few years :lol:

the worst he can be is a 3rd line checking winger, who plays with speed hits, and has a decent shot.    He can make the most of what he has, which is a devastating hitter.

• Upvote 3

On December 8, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Harvey Spector said:

Another goal on the left side. His first shot on the right side was saved but he came around the net and got that quick release off on the left side and top shelf. 

Jake is a left winger. Looks so much more comfortable on the left side. I hope he stays down in Utica all year long and plays predominately on the left side. He has so much potential and raw ability. Not to mention we could very much use his 225 pound frame to lay out some big hits on the opposition. 

Many of us have been advocating this. Jake is the bruising Left Winger we need. Now the team needs to be patient with him, until he makes it impossible to deny him NHL minutes. 

What Jake was missing was hunger in his play.  Hopefully he finds it. 

Gotta wonder on another note how hard it would be to jump to the NHL as a 19 y/o playing on his weak side, the eye test and his offense seems to indicate that he is way more comfortable on the left side. 

EW

• Upvote 1

Yeah I agree - I feel like Willie has been keeping him at RW to help him feel more comfortable not realizing that he's actually way more comfortable at LW. 

2 hours ago, firestorm238 said:

Yeah I agree - I feel like Willie has been keeping him at RW to help him feel more comfortable not realizing that he's actually way more comfortable at LW. 

Think WD used the 'it's harder to backcheck on your offwing' bit as to why he likes him at RW but I can't confirm that.

• Upvote 1

Yeah have to agree that left wing might be best for him. Much better angles for his shot. 

Like I've been saying all along... might take him till 23 or so but he will figure it out and be our version of Krieder. Green seems to be working well with him just like Baer a few seasons ago.

• Upvote 3

He's far better on his off wing and I agree with most of you that he should play on the left wing if Willie lets him play there and figure it out. He's been doing well as of late and honestly it's only a matter of time till he's back in the big club. Probably next season. He needs to consistently post some points so JB can think about calling him back up again. 

Virtanen and Eriksson on the same line makes total sense as they can both play on their off wing. They can even switch if need be depending on positioning etc.

Put Granlund in the middle and you might have a dynamic line. 

Edited by Harvey Spector

Virtanen scores on a tip with 20 seconds left

Edit my bad, Bancks got the tip, virtanen provided the screen.

Edited by TheSnipeshow91

37 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

He's far better on his off wing and I agree with most of you that he should play on the left wing if Willie lets him play there and figure it out. He's been doing well as of late and honestly it's only a matter of time till he's back in the big club. Probably next season. He needs to consistently post some points so JB can think about calling him back up again. 

I have been saying that since we drafted him and had our first look in the NHL that he should be on the LW and I do hope that Linden/Benning and Willie see this and put him there if not the coach needs a talking to

19 minutes ago, TheSnipeshow91 said:

Virtanen scores on a tip with 20 seconds left

Edit my bad, Bancks got the tip, virtanen provided the screen.

Good to hear he's infront on the net, and even though he doesn't get a point, he's involved in the scoring.

Jake is starting to look noticeable as other posters noted keep him down for the year and give him big minutes all situations and teach the kid to play the pro game.   

• Upvote 1

I think jake is a bit mentally fragile. It seems with him, it's all between the ears. He's got some confidence back, after looking like he had none. He has an elite physic with big strong legs. Speed for a big man is rare. Hits like a truck. Great shot, just needs to put it all together. Green will mould him into a player. 

Did the Canucks tell him to hit less? He hit way more last season it seems like. 

• Upvote 2