The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Love the aggression. Nothing wrong with a little extra "love." No harm, no foul. His edge is what made him successful in junior and is a big part of why JB drafted him and will be a big factor in his future success. He just better be ready to back himself when someone calls him out and they will.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Cheers Boudrias.. I was lucky enough to watch Jake play a lot in Major Midget, and Junior.

Once this young man grows into his prime, his shot, soft hands and power game will be with the leagues best.

As much as I know it would not hurt to move him to the Comets, he is contributing here with the Canucks.

Maybe we have the luxury of send Jake down for 10 and then up for 10?  Skille can fill that hole if someone like LaBate or Zalewiski could work into a rotation as well.

Either way, great depth this year, it will help us this season.

Are you talking about the Virt that only has a north-south game, no east-west moves? I guess I don't know what I am watching. How many times did he come from behind the net or out of the corners last night? As you suggested he has a lot going for him.

It is laughable how a head slap turns into a CDC crisis. I truly do not think many fans on here have ever played the game.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Are you talking about the Virt that only has a north-south game, no east-west moves? I guess I don't know what I am watching. How many times did he come from behind the net or out of the corners last night? As you suggested he has a lot going for him.

It is laughable how a head slap turns into a CDC crisis. I truly do not think many fans on here have ever played the game.  

2 or 3 times in a position to power out of the corner, and did.

I recall a shift in the 1st around the 16:00 min mark.

10 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

He literally equates this head brush (maybe 2 minute roughing) to Shea Weber's mugging.
"...with regard to this sort of dangerous and illegal act.  In the playoff series between the Predators and the Red Wings Shea Weber was fined $2,500 (the maximum allowed under the CBA) for slamming Henrik Zetterberg’s head against the top dasher board as the game ending horn sounded."

These two are the same?!

GTFO of here Fraser.

Were seriously getting gaslit on this by eastern media. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

He was a bad ref, who spent all his time focusing on his refection in the glass to see his hair was just right, instead of watching the game.  As the Donald would say:  "LOSER"

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He literally equates this head brush (maybe 2 minute roughing) to Shea Weber's mugging.
"...with regard to this sort of dangerous and illegal act.  In the playoff series between the Predators and the Red Wings Shea Weber was fined $2,500 (the maximum allowed under the CBA) for slamming Henrik Zetterberg’s head against the top dasher board as the game ending horn sounded."

These two are the same?!GTFO of here Fraser.

Were seriously getting gaslit on this by eastern media. 

What do you expect from a slimeball official? Fraser is so full of crap his breath stinks.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. this is not comparable to Jake's push off.

I know. And I think Weber only received a small fine for that. Just trying to make a point that what Jake did is nowhere as bad as people people make it out to be. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

He was a bad ref, who spent all his time focusing on his refection in the glass to see his hair was just right, instead of watching the game.  As the Donald would say:  "LOSER"

He could be painful but I always thought he was a decent enough ref. The problem today is that he is grasping to stay relevant. He plays the politically correct ticket to a tee. No one watching that shove on TV or in most of the arena seats would have any idea how hard that push was. A lot of hot air over nothing.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

I'd prefer if Jake wasn't the kind of guy to do that. That's Marchand type antics. I like his hard nosed play, but I think this crosses a line.

yeah. i know what you mean. i hope he was spoken to by other member who of the team and the head coach himself. Jake is still a young and impressionable young man. he needs mentors in the game and in life too. not excusing his behavior against Nordstrom (was that the player he smashed the head into the boards)? but yeah. still hoping that jake is going to figure things out at this level and be the player he knows he can be. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NHL'er said:

I know. And I think Weber only received a small fine for that. Just trying to make a point that what Jake did is nowhere as bad as people people make it out to be. 

.. Think I read Weber got a 25 hundred dollar fine.. That's 2,500.oo

people on here saying Virtanen should get 50 thousand!  If he goes down to the AHL that's about half of his income for the year.

Whats missing in the Videos I've seen, but you can kind of make it out, is Nordstrom trying to grab Jakes leg with his left arm as Nordstrom slides into the boards. Virtanen is actually defending himself from being tripped into the boards by Nordstrom. Virtanen slaps at Nordstrom to distract and divert his attention away from his leg.

In "lay man's terms"..  F off, don't do that, slap.

TSN1040 reporting Virtanen was at the Kanye concert Monday night. Not sure this has anything to do with getting scratched last night(I think it does) but he is getting scratched again vs. Buffalo.  I stuck up for this kid more than enough, he needs to pull his head out of his ass and get his shiz together.  He looks completely lost at times out there as if he has zero hockey sense.  Physically he is extremely gifted but all that will be lost if he cannot think and play the game at a higher level.

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

TSN1040 reporting Virtanen was at the Kanye concert Monday night. Not sure this has anything to do with getting scratched last night(I think it does) but he is getting scratched again vs. Buffalo.  I stuck up for this kid more than enough, he needs to pull his head out of his ass and get his shiz together.  He looks completely lost at times out there as if he has zero hockey sense.  Physically he is extremely gifted but all that will be lost if he cannot think and play the game at a higher level.

If he went out and didn't drink.  Would it still be a problem?  Is it because its the wrong environment or because he would be staying up too late and not resting?

I understand it makes sense. Just trying to figure out the specific justification?  What if he remained seated the entire concert?

25 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I can't stand comments like this. What does Jake going to a concert have to do with anything? You know players are allowed downtime away from the rink right? This isn't some kind of Red Army military group. 

• Upvote 1