The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Halford and Brough, the former Kurtenbloggers.  A couple of goofs but they are fun.

There was a suggestion that people could video themselves shot-gunning a beer and posting it.

Then came the suggestion that a better knick name for Jake would be "Shot gun".  Much better than Big Country

I like it a lot.   The knick name.  I couldn't condone risky behavior.

Then I thought.  Ya, and his goal music could be the classic R & B tune "Shot gun" by Jr Walker and the Allstars

Whaddaya think?

I like the way you think.  I have always loved that song.  Big R&B and Blues fan.::D

11 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Kind of perplexed as to why fatigue goes out the door in the Jake-Mcdavid race. Let's be objective for once guys. 

Fair enough but Virt had two beers and syphilis from some dodgy interactions so = in my book.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Kind of perplexed as to why fatigue goes out the door in the Jake-Mcdavid race. Let's be objective for once guys. 

Have to agree. While I love watching the clip, it's pretty hard to say that it was a fair race in that sense. Jake's still a pretty exciting guy to watch though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

Jake was killing penalty so was sure to be more tired than McDavid who was just sitting back on point on powerplay, you are correct....but why give Virtanen and excuse....so what if he was tired and carrying the puck, he should still be faster than the McDavid slug.

48 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Jake was killing penalty so was sure to be more tired than McDavid who was just sitting back on point on powerplay, you are correct....but why give Virtanen and excuse....so what if he was tired and carrying the puck, he should still be faster than the McDavid slug.

I'm pretty sure McDavid had been out for a very long time at that point in the overtime whereas Virtanen was much fresher. Like I said, Virtanen is exciting to watch and I think he could sometimes beat McDavid in a foot race, but I wouldn't be confident to say that he'd beat him every time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I'm pretty sure McDavid had been out for a very long time at that point in the overtime whereas Virtanen was much fresher. Like I said, Virtanen is exciting to watch and I think he could sometimes beat McDavid in a foot race, but I wouldn't be confident to say that he'd beat him every time.

Even if he could beat McDavid each time (which I doubt)

Who cares?

Why not just hire Olympic speed skaters who played some hockey then?

Virtanen is nowhere near the player of McDavid

Not one person would ever trade them  even up if McDavid was on their team

The bigger question is who can do creative things at full speed

The answer is NOT even close

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, but it was against the Sedins and I wouldn't say "a very long time". I vividly remember that game cause I knew as soon as I seen the race that people were gonna say "McDavid was tired". The Sedins in their prime were slow as hell. You can see the clock in the clip and it was literally like a minute of both teams coasting around. Sedins cause they are fossils and McDavid cause he knew he didn't need to exhaust much energy to defend them. BUT, he does play more minutes during the game and was on the ice for a minute prior to Virtanen jumping on so he definitely wasn't 100. Cold legs doesn't help foot races though, if we are gonna start throwing excuses around may as well throw one out there for Jake :P 

McDavid > Virtanen, but yeah that's good company to keep if you are Virtanen. McDavid is only the most electrifying player in the league in terms of being able to flat out fly.

7 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Who cares?

No one is comparing their skill level.  People are just comparing how fast they skate.  No need to get pissy about it.  You need to actually pay attention to what is actually being said.  If you want to compare their skill level, then do that but all people are saying in this situation is that Jake is as fast as he is.  Because we play Edmonton so often from a defensive perspective this is good.  Having a guy that can keep up with McDavid is a good thing.

Edited by dpn1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Who cares?

Okay, but JAKE IS FASTER THAN MCDAVID.  Plus, Jake is heavier, meaner, tougher, hits harder, better defensively, and will soon be crush popping opponents.  We should be very thankful JB drafted Jake. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

I dunno. I watched the video and saw Jake get the puck in his own end, with McDavid angling towards him. Jake took off and rushed up the ice to score. McDavid couldn't catch him and made a poor play heading him off. No excuses. Jake is a speed demon and I'm so thankful Canucks management never gave up on him. He will be a game changer with that speed.

• Upvote 2

McDavid actually made a great play there. He was patient and timed a stick lift perfectly, which prevented the scoring chance without taking a penalty.

But yes, Virtanen is a very fast skater.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

#sarcasm....

14 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

Or, you know, how about you give credit where credit is due and admit Jake actually has some wheels.

Never said he didn't have wheels. Unfortunately for Jake this is hockey, not speed skating. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dpn1 said:

No one is comparing their skill level.  People are just comparing how fast they skate.  No need to get pissy about it.  You need to actually pay attention to what is actually being said.  If you want to compare their skill level, then do that but all people are saying in this situation is that Jake is as fast as he is.  Because we play Edmonton so often from a defensive perspective this is good.  Having a guy that can keep up with McDavid is a good thing.

Pissy?

Lol that is funny how you think that, just because I point out the obvious

Just comparing Virtanen is funny

Why not compare Jake or McDavid to speed skaters?

It means nothing  (even one of them with a hockey background may get points too)

Ever think of how many players want to do and show up McDavid?

He only has to play 80% to be better than most

If any player is trying 110% on a rare shift not to be shown up against him means very little

I guess we should have held onto Cole Cassels too

Virtanen may turn out useful , But hockey is more than speed

Virtanen may be able to punish (I haven't seen enough of that yet, It appears he thinks he is  a goals scoring machine) who doesn't do enough of anything right now

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Pissy?

Lol that is funny how you think that, just because I point out the obvious

Just comparing Virtanen is funny

Why not compare Jake or McDavid to speed skaters?

It means nothing  (even one of them with a hockey background may get points too)

Ever think of how many players want to do and show up McDavid?

He only has to play 80% to be better than most

If any player is trying 110% on a rare shift not to be shown up against him means very little

I guess we should have held onto Cole Cassels too

Virtanen may turn out useful , But hockey is more than speed

Virtanen may be able to punish (I haven't seen enough of that yet, It appears he thinks he is  a goals scoring machine) who doesn't do enough of anything right now

Again, no one is comparing their skill, just how fast they are.  I agree with you that Jake is not as skilled as McDavid.  There is no comparison.  They are both very fast and maybe the fastest in the league (maybe Barzel is up there too but all people are saying is they are fast.:)

23 hours ago, guntrix said:

I guess I'd have to see the other minute and 5 seconds of the OT to know how tired McDavid would have been. The crossover is where Jake separates himself and McD doesn't do any crossovers. He doesn't look gassed on the backcheck to me and he is one of the biggest floaters/ opportuntists I've ever seen. He's either coasting or going full speed at all times, so this clip only shows him sprinting back and also doesn't show when Jake jumped over the boards. It's a bit difficult to be objective with those missing 1 minute 5 seconds.