The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

I touched on this a few days back. Jake is way to content with his game. 

Jake has information overload going on.  The coaches must accept they have a race horse, who needs to be given the reins, and let go.  Too much coaching slows him down.  Play the kid on left wing, and let him loose.  He will destroy opponents, score goals, and be fun to watch.  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake has information overload going on.  The coaches must accept they have a race horse, who needs to be given the reins, and let go.  Too much coaching slows him down.  Play the kid on left wing, and let him loose.  He will destroy opponents, score goals, and be fun to watch.  

Sure. It's the perfect year for it. Just let him loose what the hell. Not like we are gonna win many games anyways. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf Knows better than Green

It's not Jakes fault it is Greens

Fire Green, hire Alf

Jake an all star :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

That is progress lol

Considering his 19 points in 65 games put him at #363 in AHL scoring

Wonder if all those other guys were given or in the NHL now?

Goldie 45 points in 49 games

Shinkaruk 35 points in 52 games

Archie 47 pts in 76 games

Subban 36 points in 65 games

Jake 19 points in 65 games

I think it's because his style doesn't have to change much between the AHL and the NHL. He's a wrecking ball out there when he wants to be, which is what gives him a good base to work from as, I would imagine, it's easier to use that in the NHL than to just be a straight up scorer.

Edited by The Lock

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And on the left side too.  I'd love to see Jake, Elias, Loui/Sutter as a line, and for several games.  I think they would do very well.  

At this point, I know not to ask for too much. Playing Jake in the top 6 and on his off wing is asking way too much. I don't even think Jake will get top 6 looks without a mountain of injuries.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

At this point, I know not to ask for too much. Playing Jake in the top 6 and on his off wing is asking way too much. I don't even think Jake will get top 6 looks without a mountain of injuries.

Sad but true.  From watching Jake play, he seems (on tv anyway) to be a responsible 200 foot player.  Is there something we are missing about his game, or is there something only the coaches and GM are privy too going on?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sad but true.  From watching Jake play, he seems (on tv anyway) to be a responsible 200 foot player.  Is there something we are missing about his game, or is there something only the coaches and GM are privy too going on?

He does tend to wander aimlessly when he doesn't have the puck, I notice he'll a lot of the time occupy the same space as a linemate. He'll make passes then just watch instead of being active and moving to another area to give his team another option. Gotta be active away from the puck as much as he is with the puck. That's one of the major differences between him and Boeser. Boeser is proactive. He moves around to areas where he expects the puck to be and areas where his teammates can find him for goals. Thankfully the only problem with Boeser right now is timing in his shot. That'll get cleaned up as time goes on. Whereas Jake needs to start learning to be more active away from the puck. Harder to do. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think it is because he doesn't make the play after gaining entry and usually has some wide angle shot

He does not put the biscuit in the basket or is a playmaker

I think he may be a good candidate for the penalty kill as mentioned though

I am sure the coach who spends way more time than us with him in Junior and practising and games etc has a good grasp of him and will put him in positions if it will help the team

I mean do some of you really believe he has never considered that option and just forgets,

or

Do we need another new coach to get him going? :) 

Edited by ba;;isticsports

Just now, ba;;isticsports said:

I think it is because he doesn't make the play after gaining entry and usually has some wide angle shot

He does not put the biscuit in the basket or is a playmaker

I think he may be a good candidate for the powerplay though

I am sure the coach who spends way more time than us with him in Junior and practising and games etc has a good grasp of him and will put him in positions if it will help the team

I mean do some of you really believe he has never considered that option and just forgets,

or

Do we need another new coach to get him going? :) 

The only problem I have with people's opinion of Jake is they talk about him like he's a massive failure of a NHLer. He is definitely a bottom 6 talent. He scores at a bottom 6 rate, he hits, he back checks. People make him sound like the biggest bum ever. Our expectations should be relative to the role he plays. If we want him to be a top 6 talent and expect top 6 production, he should be playing with top 6 talent as well. Why are some of our expectations like 40+ points from him when NO ONE in the bottom 6 can produce at that rate and he gets no PP looks? Just how I look at it. I think he's one of our better bottom 6 players. He does a bit of everything well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The only problem I have with people's opinion of Jake is they talk about him like he's a massive failure of a NHLer. He is definitely a bottom 6 talent. He scores at a bottom 6 rate, he hits, he back checks. People make him sound like the biggest bum ever. Our expectations should be relative to the role he plays. If we want him to be a top 6 talent and expect top 6 production, he should be playing with top 6 talent as well. Why are some of our expectations like 40+ points from him when NO ONE in the bottom 6 can produce at that rate and he gets no PP looks? Just how I look at it. I think he's one of our better bottom 6 players. He does a bit of everything well. 

Maybe he will become very good friends with our elite players and feed off of them?

Chum around and learn what it takes and what they expect from him and where they want him to be to be effective, then 

When practicing and he goes down and wastes another  opportunity by shooting wide and the other team getting a scoring chance, that the stars (being best friends) will chastise him and tell him to quit doing that and maybe he will listen then

If anyone messes with his friends, he takes it personally, as well as messin with him (and his paycheque) ;) 

All the great players made players around them better that way

Usually only the powerplay is stacked with all the best

Hopefully he cares enough and is "able" to get it

3 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Maybe he will become very good friends with our elite players and feed off of them?

Chum around and learn what it takes and what they expect from him and where they want him to be to be effective, then 

When practicing and he goes down and wastes another  opportunity by shooting wide and the other team getting a scoring chance, that the stars (being best friends) will chastise him and tell him to quit doing that and maybe he will listen then

If anyone messes with his friends, he takes it personally, as well as messin with him (and his paycheque) ;) 

All the great players made players around them better that way

Usually only the powerplay is stacked with all the best

Hopefully he cares enough and is "able" to get it

Goldy has done this? He made the bottom 6ers he plays with better? Oh, he doesn't play with bottom 6ers. Jake has to make those scrubs better though. Lol. Double standards, double standards everywhere.

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Green seems to have a dislike for Virtanen it seems. Some games where he has played quite well he still had low ice times.

22 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Goldy has done this? He made the bottom 6ers he plays with better? Oh, he doesn't play with bottom 6ers. Jake has to make those scrubs better though. Lol. Double standards, double standards everywhere.

You don't think the coach (as well as the other coaches) don't want to put him in a situation to make the team better?

I think they know Jake does not have "golden" hands that can score, and don't see him in that role at this point

Just as the coach does not think Goldy is useful as a bottom 6 guy and will give him the opportunity to make it as one or be gone

Remember all players even plumbers were top scorers on their junior teams

Even Archie had more than double the points of Jake in the AHL

Not everyone on a team can be top 6 players and have to accept that their roles will change from junior and find a niche to stay in the league