The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

The only problem I have with people's opinion of Jake is they talk about him like he's a massive failure of a NHLer. He is definitely a bottom 6 talent. He scores at a bottom 6 rate, he hits, he back checks. People make him sound like the biggest bum ever. Our expectations should be relative to the role he plays. If we want him to be a top 6 talent and expect top 6 production, he should be playing with top 6 talent as well. Why are some of our expectations like 40+ points from him when NO ONE in the bottom 6 can produce at that rate and he gets no PP looks? Just how I look at it. I think he's one of our better bottom 6 players. He does a bit of everything well. 

Expectations derive for most Canucks supporters directly from the position he was drafted. Many expected that a player selected 6th overall like Jake given his frame and his production  in juniors (he scored lots of goals) would become a scoring power forward used in the top 6 in the NHL.

Actually there is a huge discrepancy between those expectations and the reality.

Travis used him in all of the preseason games played in a bottom 6 role. That indicates that Travis holds the view that  he can utilize his strengths on a  checking line best.

• Upvote 1

To me if jake ends up being an energy guy on the “3rd line” and can pot 15-20 goals a year then that’s fine. If he can be a pain in the a$$ for other teams in the playoffs then that’s better than some soft perimeter “top six” guy who disappeares when the going gets tough. It takes all types to win a cup.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

What a bunch of crap If you going have this kind of talent roll 3 offensive lines that's the new NHL none of this checking line crap . That's old school . Speed speed  speed. 

I hate to break it to you, but we currently don't have the talent to roll 3 offensive lines at the moment. I don't think it's necessarily by choice here. We're just not a good team at the moment.

Unless if you'd prefer to spread ourselves thin and not give Pettersson and Boeser a decent enough support cast....

Edited by The Lock

7 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

What a bunch of crap If you going have this kind of talent roll 3 offensive lines that's the new NHL none of this checking line crap . That's old school . Speed speed  speed. 

You do realize Beagle was a key part in Washington winning the Cup, right?  

21 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I wish Jake had some of this in his game lol

some people are mad because Tyler punched him back lol. Some of the clips dont show that part tho. this one does.

Couple bratts having a slap fight.:)

9 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Was at the game tonight and was impressed by Virtanen, he did well defensively and was trying to create an offensive spark. His linemates did absolutely nothing to help him out. 

Was there as well and I thought he had a very good game as well. Another post. Damn he hits a lot of posts. 

Edited by rekker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Nancouver said:

To me if jake ends up being an energy guy on the “3rd line” and can pot 15-20 goals a year then that’s fine. If he can be a pain in the a$$ for other teams in the playoffs then that’s better than some soft perimeter “top six” guy who disappeares when the going gets tough. It takes all types to win a cup.

lol if he's potting 15-20 goals he'd already be on the top 2 lines on this team. problem is he's not. big waste of a top 10 pick. 

• Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Don't know if anybody should read too much into Burke's comment that after chatting with Benning, Virt's still on the team "for now".

I found that interesting too. He says he isn't connected anymore, but we all know he is still plugged in to know things better than most do. Very interesting indeed. That being said, I hope he's wrong. I'm not giving up on Jake yet. I wanna see this season go down before I make final judgements on him. 

If Jake is not growing by seasons end he could still be very valuable to hold onto as a premier 3rd line forward, I have no issues with that. But if perhaps there was opportunity to obtain higher end offensive talent I can see why managment would entertain the idea. They are in desperate need of offence. I still would not want them to give up on jake as I think he has great long term potential. But he will be a slow cooker, his mind needs to mature and catch up with his feet. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Nancouver said:

Um he just turned 22..... he had 10 goals last year and was playing way better in the 2nd half of the season. It doesn’t take some wild stretch of the imagination to think he could become a 15-20 goal player. Anyone who’s already written off jake as a bust hasn’t been watching hockey very long IMO. Players mature at different rates.

You guys keep thinking he will follow the Bertuzzi path and mature later. He has 0 creativity and 0 willingness to drive the net into the dirty area. He was top 5% in zone entry with the puck. You’d think it would translate to a bit more point production? All he does is skate in with the puck either take a shot from a wide angle or goes to the corner and the play dies. Driving to the net doesn’t require maturity if requires determination and willingness. He lacks both. 

• Wat 1

30 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

You guys keep thinking he will follow the Bertuzzi path and mature later. He has 0 creativity and 0 willingness to drive the net into the dirty area. He was top 5% in zone entry with the puck. You’d think it would translate to a bit more point production? All he does is skate in with the puck either take a shot from a wide angle or goes to the corner and the play dies. Driving to the net doesn’t require maturity if requires determination and willingness. He lacks both. 

And you guys think every top ten pick should be a star immediately or they’re automatically a bust. Like I said he started showing what he’s capable of at the end of last season and will likely continue to progress this year especially if he ever gets some ice time with quality line mates. To me anyone who thinks they can forecast exactly what a player is at such a young age is giving themselves too much credit. I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that green himself still isn’t sure just how good or bad  jake will be.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Gotta be honest, the Bertuzzi comparisons need to stop. He doesn't play anything like Bert. Bert was a magician with the puck. I'd even say Bert was a unicorn of a PF, defenses needed to be wary of his playmaking ability or his power to just go wherever he pleased through anyone and everyone. Virtanen is strong, yes. But in weight and height is not necessarily a true PF. Most of the leagues tried and true powers were 6'3 and above, 230ish pounds. Jake is listed as 6'1 on most sites I see. Then again they also have him at 230 pounds but I highly doubt he still plays at that weight since we seen what it did to his speed. I reckon he hovers around 200-210 pounds, tops. Either way, he's not and never will be like Bertuzzi.

Agreed that Jake is not Bert.  Like you say, Bert had ridiculously shoft hands for a big man.  Jake’s a much better skater, and (IMO) a heavier finisher on checks.  I don’t think Jake is a PWF.  I think he’s more of an energy guy, who makes big plays to change the game.  He’s a bigger, faster, more skilled, and meaner Janik Hansen.  

• Upvote 1