The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

23 minutes ago, Toews said:

Tom Wilson developed just fine playing on the 4th line along side a guy like Beagle. Virtanen needs to become a more consistent player. There is still far too much variance from shift to shift. One shift he is out there being productive, the other he gives the puck away leading to a rush the other way.

Both Virtanen and Goldobin are inconsistent just in different ways, one of them is prone to losing focus and making mental errors and the other's compete level varies wildly. 

Well, Wilson playing on the 4th line was only good for 10-20 points. So why are we so hung up on Jake only scoring 20 points? Cause Wilson didn't score in the double digits for goals and drop more than 30 points until he started playing with top 6 players, namely the greatest goal scorer of all time. Almost makes you think the people trash talking Jake should maybe look around the league first. :ph34r: 

It's crazy how some players score more when they play with actual top 6 talent. Why can't Jake just make his bottom 6 linemate scrubs better? Such a bust, am I right?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Well, Wilson playing on the 4th line was only good for 10-20 points. So why are we so hung up on Jake only scoring 20 points? Cause Wilson didn't score in the double digits for goals and drop more than 30 points until he started playing with top 6 players, namely the greatest goal scorer of all time. Almost makes you think the people trash talking Jake should maybe look around the league first. :ph34r: 

It's crazy how some players score more when they play with actual top 6 talent. Why can't Jake just make his bottom 6 linemate scrubs better? Such a bust, am I right?

Sure, increased opportunities likely leads to increased production. But to me Jake isn't quite ready for an increased role yet. He still needs to do some developing before he can play on the top 6 and I think Green recognizes that. Thrusting him into a spot on the lineup just to increase his point totals accomplishes little. Its all about possession now days and taking care of the puck maximizes your opportunity to win games especially on the top lines. If you can win matchups consistently with your top 6, chances are you are winning that game. That makes it imperative that you have players there are ready to play in those roles. Playing on the 4th line allowed Wilson to make mistakes and grow from them, I hope Jake can do the same.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Did you actually watch much of Washington or are you looking at the stat sheet? 

13 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I would like to see Jake be put in a position to play like a top 6 player.  What I think he has been missing since he got here is a dynamic line with guys who have high hockey IQ's, vision, and great passing.  I think that he should be on a line with EP and Baertschi.  Give Goldobin a shot at the Horvat line, to bring some creativity to it.  Virtanen's speed and strength and shot, but lack of vision, needs to play with EP.  EP could take advatage of Jake's unique skill set.  I think they are doing a disservice to Jake and his long term growth putting out with Schaller and Beagle, or Sutter for that matter.

Goldobin Horvat Boeser

Baertschi EP Virtanen

Leipsic Sutter Eriksson

Schaller Beagle Granlund

Motte, Rousel

IMHO this is a better balanced top 6 which gives players a chance to succeed.  Hopefully, if Goldobin is slipping Dahlen is ready to come up and slot in the top 6 by then.

I like your lines and your thought process for both Vitanen and Goldy. Since this is another development year we should see many variations through the season. Virtanen as a top 6 has to be tried. IMHO he should be encouraged to be a up and down winger who shoots a lot. Both Virtanen and Baer have great speed and EP40 should be able to break them up ice with passes out of the d-zone.  

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I would like to see Jake be put in a position to play like a top 6 player.  What I think he has been missing since he got here is a dynamic line with guys who have high hockey IQ's, vision, and great passing.  I think that he should be on a line with EP and Baertschi.  Give Goldobin a shot at the Horvat line, to bring some creativity to it.  Virtanen's speed and strength and shot, but lack of vision, needs to play with EP.  EP could take advatage of Jake's unique skill set.  I think they are doing a disservice to Jake and his long term growth putting out with Schaller and Beagle, or Sutter for that matter.

Goldobin Horvat Boeser

Baertschi EP Virtanen

Leipsic Sutter Eriksson

Schaller Beagle Granlund

Motte, Rousel

IMHO this is a better balanced top 6 which gives players a chance to succeed.  Hopefully, if Goldobin is slipping Dahlen is ready to come up and slot in the top 6 by then.

Kinda like that lineup. Although Jake doesn't have LE's skill, he provides more speed and a bit of muscle to EP's line. And I think other teams would need to back off a bit when EP could at any time spring Jake free for a breakaway.

17 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Kinda like that lineup. Although Jake doesn't have LE's skill, he provides more speed and a bit of muscle to EP's line. And I think other teams would need to back off a bit when EP could at any time spring Jake free for a breakaway.

Surprised there was no comment that he scored off the left side. A foolish penalty but he "Totally Redeemed Himself"!

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Surprised there was no comment that he scored off the left side. A foolish penalty but he "Totally Redeemed Himself"!

Wasn't his penalty one of the phantom hooking/slashing penalties that even the Calgary-fan broadcast announcers had difficulty believing was called?

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Wasn't his penalty one of the phantom hooking/slashing penalties that even the Calgary-fan broadcast announcers had difficulty believing was called?

No, Jake had the lazy tripping call. Wasn't moving his legs and stuck his stick in the legs of the opponent.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

No, Jake had the lazy tripping call. Wasn't moving his legs and stuck his stick in the legs of the opponent.

Oh yeah, now I remember, of the seven penalties called against the Canucks, that was almost the only legitimate penalty.

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

Oh yeah, now I remember, of the seven penalties called against the Canucks, that was almost the only legitimate penalty.

Definitely a few brutal calls last night for sure, but yeah that one was legit.

I liked his game last night.  He is was very noticeable last night, and scored a very nice goal. I'm expecting 35-40 points from him this year, and 20 goals.  We have far more skill on the 3rd and 4th lines than we have had in the last few years, and I think we will see much moire production from the bottom of the lineup.

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2018 at 11:38 PM, N7Nucks said:

Well done!   Put Ehlers or Nylander with ice time and lines that Jake has had past two seasons and at least Leafs don't have to deal with someone sitting out right now as he will have signed a bridge deal.

24 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Jake's goal is an example of what he can bring.  Few guys can keep up with him.  That said, I think he needs to crash the net in traffic more.  It's not often that he's going to get a partial break like that.  Hopefully it helps to build his confidence moving forward.

Im not opposed to him crashing the net, but the thing is, with his speed, it should be that often that he gets partial breaks like that. We saw it at the end of last year. It was happening with frequency. He just lacked the finish.

Hopefully that goal is a sign that his off-season work with pavel barber was a good investment.

• Upvote 2