The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

There was this one time last game where Jake came down the left and tried cutting to the inside of the defender going straight for the net. It didn’t succeed - although I thought it should’ve been a tripping call - but Ibrealky hope to see more of that instead of perimeter outside shots. Power your way to the net Jake and good things will happen. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Archie the grim said:

I don’t think Jake will ever be the power forward everyone wants, it’s not in his nature.hes not tough, not mean, and I think if you gave him a soccer goal to shoot at from 15 feet,it would still be high and wide. Fourth line winger with 1 hit a game. 1 goal every 10.

Ehh, he looks more and more like Mason Raymond when I watch him

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jake's had some chances, feels like he's on the verge of turning a corner. Hopefully we'll see another side to Jake's game, more play making and some goals. 

hasn't this been said for some time now?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I have been patient with the kid since he got drafted and I still believe he is an excellent complementary piece to our more recent ultra high skill player(s).  He does not need to be 'mean' to lay out punishing hits in opportune moments and pot some timely goals. underrated assets are a positive thing.

Many athletes develop at a different pace it is not always a linear progression. I like what I have seen from him this year and Green's confidence in him is going to do wonders for his performance imo

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

still not really sold on virtanen take away his 2 EN points he's right at the bottom of the roster in terms of production. at best he'll be like a Hansen.. really fast player not much of a finish and will hit once in a while and somewhat decent defensively

Yup, shaping up to be another disappointing season offensively for Jake. Does a lot of the little things well but his offensive IQ really lets him down and stops him from using all that talent he has. He's still 22 years old so he's got some years to figure it out. Hopefully doesn't take that long. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Yup, shaping up to be another disappointing season offensively for Jake. Does a lot of the little things well but his offensive IQ really lets him down and stops him from using all that talent he has. He's still 22 years old so he's got some years to figure it out. Hopefully doesn't take that long. 

Offense doesn't have to be points though. I know it's easy to be fixated on that as it's tangible and easier for people to see, but there's a lot more to offense than just points. Doing the little things that make other teammates get points is good too.

That being said, he could stand to be more consistent obviously, but it really doesn't have to be in points in my opinion.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I think you're underselling Hansen considerably. He was a borderline 2nd line forward in his best years and excellent defensively. I'd be thrilled if Jake became another Hansen.

The usual suspects will downplay Jake no matter what.  If as his numbers show above that he's performing like a top-6 forward, they will complain about his scoring.  If he puts up points but has bad underlying numbers, they'll complain that he's just "getting lucky" and is a garbage player.  Either way, he's a "fat lazy brutal IQ immature kid who's one-dimensional, doesn't use his teammates, and was a waste of a draft pick where he was taken," and they parrot soundbites like "Hansen" as pejoratives, showing they have no thought or analysis of their own to offer.  Pretty clear that narrative isn't ever going to change, as they just go silent or bring up more excuses when he does perform well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3