The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Looks like he's awoken some of that Calgary Hitmen sniper we haven't yet seen in the NHL. He's shown his physical side in the NHL, but these last few goals are the first I've seen of his touted wrist shot in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Looks like he's awoken some of that Calgary Hitmen sniper we haven't yet seen in the NHL. He's shown his physical side in the NHL, but these last few goals are the first I've seen of his touted wrist shot in the NHL.

Was at the game tonight, Jake was incredible, and yes that shot is LEGIT. I saw Boesers shots ( I know there might be something wrong with him ) tonight, and it looked like he was firing muffins at Crawford. I wonder if they'll start deploying Jake once in awhile on the Petteson line with Goldy to see if something clicks. Ericsson had some good moments tonight, but from what Ive seen ( and other games ) his hands are done. That once chance that he had in front of the net from Petterson, I had a good vantage point in the game , barely did anything with it, no patience whatsoever. Ericsson had some slick mitts back in the day but Im afraid that his skills are diminishing fast

• Cheers 1

Just now, Archie the grim said:

I was very critical of him recently. Nothing would make me happier than to be 100% wrong. Let’s see some consistency first though.

You do realize if Jake scores every game, while being the physical force he was last night, and plays a strong defensive game (which he does already) he would be up there with Crosby for the best player on the planet?  Jake is a turning into a very good player, who will impact the game in a variety of ways.  If he's not scoring, he is still being a physically imposing presence, and playing strong defensively.  That's an extremely important player.  That is actually a far more important player, than a 50 to 60 point soft perimeter winger, who does nothing when not scoring, and who disappears when the games get tougher (like in the playoffs).

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You do realize if Jake scores every game, while being the physical force he was last night, and plays a strong defensive game (which he does already) he would be up there with Crosby for the best player on the planet?  Jake is a turning into a very good player, who will impact the game in a variety of ways.  If he's not scoring, he is still being a physically imposing presence, and playing strong defensively.  That's an extremely important player.  That is actually a far more important player, than a 50 to 60 point soft perimeter winger, who does nothing when not scoring, and who disappears when the games get tougher (like in the playoffs).

Let's calm down a bit now, i'm excited too but dear lord. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

“Up there with Crosby” lol

Just now, Dats hockey said:

“Up there with Crosby” lol

That's my point.  The previous poster wanted to see Jake play like he did last night every game.  That's Crosby, which there is only one of.  "Jake is turning into a very good player, who will impact the game in a variety of ways.  If he's not scoring, he is still being a physically imposing presence, and playing strong defensively.  That's an extremely important player."

There is only one Crosby.

8 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Jakes playing well but i havent seen this wrecking ball everyone's been going on about. I missed half the game last night though so I'm wondering if he had some massive hit. 

The shotgun jake ritual is hot like fire though lol. How did it start.

I'm positive it started here in this thread.

I'm 5 beers behind "Shotgun" Jake's goal total. If he has a hat trick next game  I think I might have alcohol poisoning. Well, that or a really good night. 

Here's hoping he maintains this consistent play in all three zones and scores one (or two or three) next game! 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

hes (Nylander) holding out rumors have it, he's looking for 8 million dollar per. 

First I have heard of this!  And I have been watching both SN and TSN around the clock!!??

:ph34r:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 1

I know Jake being a high draft pick has come with expectations. But there is no guaranteed recipe for development and he is trending up. Check out Danato in Boston and Johnsson in Toronto. So much hype surrounding these two all summer and look at them now. It's not usually a straight up ride. Patience may very well pay off.