The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he is, and there's the rub. He's trying to get assurances like he's a free agent. 

I think he is wiling to accept a less than what he could make deal , as long as he is not traded 

Otherwise

He wants market value

After Shanahan saying take less for the good of the team

How is it good for him, if he signs for less, they make him look attractive for a trade and then ship him off for a defenceman

I think he is saying 

I will take less if staying

if not

Pay me what the market will

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he is, and there's the rub. He's trying to get assurances like he's a free agent. 

I don't see how he could, since he doesn't qualify to get any such assurances spelled out in his contract, and verbal assurances are worth the same as the paper they are (not) printed on.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I think it's more that he sees the writing on the wall that he'll probably be moved in the next couple years (despite likely wanting to stay) and hence doesn't want to sign a team friendly discount in the event he ends up playing on a non-contender or worse, an awful place and poorly run organization like Edmonton.

Then he's playing at a discount for a toilet of a team, in an awful city. I wouldn't sign on for that either.

thats a very very good point. 

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Term, sure, but isn't he too young to get an NTC?

Nah can see why he wanted a ntc coz he knows Toronto will trade him as soon as he’s signed coz there’s no way the maple leafs can even afford to pay him 6 mil a year while paying Tavares 11mil Matthew prolly at 11mil and marner at least 8 mil. That’s half the salary cap with 4 players lol.

3 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Going back to last season, in Jake's last 20 games he's scored 7 goals and has 10 points.I don't think he'll maintain that pace (especially the goals) but he is trending in the right direction. 

Interesting numbers! Now 14 games into this season and Jake has 5 goals and 7 points. 

Spread over the end of last season and the start of this season, in his last 34 games played -- which is about half a season -- Jake has 12 goals and 17 points. That's exactly at a 0.5 points per game pace and if sustained over a season would equate to 29 goals and 41 points.

Looking at the numbers Jake has been very consistent over his last 34 games played. In my opinion, the biggest improvement over his last 34 games isn't in his offensive numbers, but the fact that Jake earned the coach's trust by playing well in primarily a defensive bottom-6 role and is now finally getting an opportunity offensively on the second powerplay unit and, at times, at even strength with better quality players.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Byrix said:

Time to bang the table again for this line: Goldobin, Pettersson, Virtanen

Anyone with me?

I'm not sure Jake thinks the game at a high enough level to play with EP. He plays a simple, but effective game.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure Jake thinks the game at a high enough level to play with EP. He plays a simple, but effective game.

Doesn't need to. Have just play his game and create room for EP and Goldy to operate their magic. Keep it simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Byrix said:

Time to bang the table again for this line: Goldobin, Pettersson, Virtanen

Anyone with me?

Not me ! Pettersson needs a scorer on one wing. Goldobin could/ should be that guy, but, he is a game or three away from losing that spot if he doesn't start walking the talk ! The other winger needs to be someone who has good IQ and can read EP. CDC's favourite whipping boy is my choice.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Interesting numbers! Now 14 games into this season and Jake has 5 goals and 7 points. 

Spread over the end of last season and the start of this season, in his last 34 games played -- which is about half a season -- Jake has 12 goals and 17 points. That's exactly at a 0.5 points per game pace and if sustained over a season would equate to 29 goals and 41 points.

Looking at the numbers Jake has been very consistent over his last 34 games played. In my opinion, the biggest improvement over his last 34 games isn't in his offensive numbers, but the fact that Jake earned the coach's trust by playing well in primarily a defensive bottom-6 role and is now finally getting an opportunity offensively on the second powerplay unit and, at times, at even strength with better quality players.

And yet, still getting only 12-13min and in the bottom-six.  What happens when he starts getting 13-15min regularly, more PP time, and into the middle-six?  For now, giving good evidence he is a sustainable 40-point player, which a lot of folks here would have scoffed at as recently as a year ago.

• Upvote 3