The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

18 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

He was the last man back, covering a d man at the point. Lost control of the puck and it went out to the neutral zone (can’t remember if it was a bad pass or his own fumbling) and MacKinnon pursued. He just kinda casually held MacKinnon off with one arm while protecting the puck and then moved it to safety. 

It starts at about 1:30 of this video:

Virtanen attempted a shot from the point that MacKinnon blocked. Then, like you said, he was able to protect the puck while holding off MacKinnon with one arm.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Virtanen attempted a shot from the point that MacKinnon blocked. Then, like you said, he was able to protect the puck while holding off MacKinnon with one arm.

There it is. Thanks for the correction. Pretty impressive when you consider that 1) MacKinnon is a strong dude, and 2) Virt wasn’t in the most stable, athletic position. 

just gotta be patient with jake

giving him too many minutes will likely be counter productive currently

keep him hungry and fresh for each shift

until that level of play becomes normal for him

he has a great toolbox

but also has limitations

the team needs to balance out what might be good for jake

with what might be good for the rest of the team

sure jake might benefit from playing with ep40

but it is doubtful that he would have recognized ep40's end wall pass to brock

and that would have been a wasted opportunity

which the canucks needed to score on

to get the win against the avs

more time is needed for jake to develop and mature

he is building a foundation to have a long and successful career

let's not rush him or push him just because more and more of it is being displayed

as time goes on

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, clynch said:

I still can’t understand why if Jake is in the top 5 of points, goals and +/- why his ice time per game is in the bottom third. 

Plays best in a clearly defined role, because he's a simple north-south player who overthinks with bigger minutes a lot of the time.

If he's doing well, why fix what isn't broken?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, clynch said:

I still can’t understand why if Jake is in the top 5 of points, goals and +/- why his ice time per game is in the bottom third. 

He might not be getting top mins each game but it's important for Virt to play effective mins.  PP2 has started to come along now that he has been on it more regularly

On 11/1/2018 at 11:36 PM, TNucks1 said:

i think goldy and EP could set him up too be successful with them, worth a try i think.

The best Virtanen looked in his AHL year was when Goldy joined the Comets at the tail end of the year after we acquired him. It would be hard to break up Petey and Boeser though after last night's performance.

• Cheers 1

Been absolutely loving Virts game this year. I have done my best to stay away from this corner of CDC since the locks of last season. Still like to check in sometimes. Glad to see a little more praise for jake recently. Green is quickly becoming one of my favorite Canucks coaches with how he has handled Jake. It was hard seeing my favorite player struggle in the NHL, but Green has seemed to really aid in his game.

He finally looks to have found some confidence. Still notice him driving wide with no particular plan from time to time, but also see him cutting in and playing more in the middle of the ice to use that awesome shot he has. His defensive game looks more stable too. Happy to see he is earning important minutes near the end of games.

Loved seeing him bumped up to play with Horvat last game. Wouldn't mind seeing some more of that. I remember Jake looking dangerous with Horvat and Baer in Preseason last year, so wouldn't mind seeing that line when Baer gets back. 

Way to go Jake! I really hope he can keep this up.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, guntrix said:

That's exactly what I'm doing, because things in this thread always seem to come full circle. People wait for Jake's usual good string of games to say he's turning a corner and are left feeling stupid when everything reverts back to normal. 

Luckily, I have great material to pick from down the line from yourself and a couple other posters :)

You’ll be waiting a while as Jake has been pretty consistent for a while now.... he may not be an offensive dynamo but he is a consistently effective player and the points are starting to come. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

You’ll be waiting a while as Jake has been pretty consistent for a while now.... he may not be an offensive dynamo but he is a consistently effective player and the points are starting to come. Good luck. 

Agreed.  Jake is both fit, and has figured out his role.  Green played Jake in OT two shifts last game.  Jake has earned his coach’s and his teammates trust.  He plays a hard, nasty, and smart game.  Plus, he’s big and super fast.  Checking the bigger, faster guys (like Mackinnon) requires the skill-set Jake has.  He’s a rare player, and we should all be happy to have him.  He doesn’t have to score to help us win.  

ps:  if you feed them (Trolls) they will get fat with happiness.  Maybe they will eventually explode?  :towel:

46 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Never mind the dubious mindset required to looking forward to one of our promising young players failing so you can come to an online forum to get digs in on other users... who does that? :blink:

The next time I want a party ruined, remind me to invite you @guntrix :lol:

But yes, Jake's been pretty consistent this season and the tail end of last. Something like 40'ish games now IIRC. He may just have a new 'normal' I'd be happy to have him 'revert' to.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 5Fivehole0 said:

I don't get  how people are harping on him when he's been an excellent 2 way winger. The kids 22 and he's on pace for 40 points... How are people not excited for this?

Can you say, Trolls?  I knew you could.  

Jake was fat and not fit a couple years ago, and got criticism accordingly.  Now, he’s fit, strong, fast, skilled, smart, and mean.  He’s grown up, and is now a pro - both on and off the ice.  He’s a really valuable player, and he’s still developing.  Big future for Jake.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

The best Virtanen looked in his AHL year was when Goldy joined the Comets at the tail end of the year after we acquired him. It would be hard to break up Petey and Boeser though after last night's performance.

Break up Goldobin and Pettersson.  

Goldobin has a shooting percentage of under 4% so far this season.  Baer's shooting percentage puts him top-15 in the league over the past 3 seasons (min 120 games) but he's been more the passer.  Also Baer typically scores from 15ft and under - Pettersson can get him the puck in those scoring areas.  Boeser scores from much further out.  It would give Pettersson more options with two wingers who can finish his plays.  Horvat and Virtanen get a playmaker in Goldobin.

Goldobin Horvat Virtanen

Baer Pettersson Boeser

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can you say, Trolls?  I knew you could.  

Jake was fat and not fit a couple years ago, and got criticism accordingly.  Now, he’s fit, strong, fast, skilled, smart, and mean.  He’s grown up, and is now a pro - both on and off the ice.  He’s a really valuable player, and he’s still developing.  Big future for Jake.

The better shape you are in allows you to think more clearly toward the end of a shift when you are most fatigued.  I think this has helped Jake as well.

• Upvote 3

Just now, dpn1 said:

The better shape you are in allows you to think more clearly toward the end of a shift when you are most fatigued.  I think this has helped Jake as well.

Excellent point.  It’s like his recent break-away goal. Jake was at the end of his shift, but he is fit, so he had the gas to pull away and think clearly enough to pick the top corner.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Baer's shooting percentage puts him top-15 in the league over the past 3 seasons (min 120 games)

What really?!

Top 15 percentage would seem to relate to more actual goals.

I’ll try to find that info for myself, but would you pass a link in where to find it if you have it top of mind?

On 11/3/2018 at 11:25 AM, guntrix said:

That's exactly what I'm doing, because things in this thread always seem to come full circle. People wait for Jake's usual good string of games to say he's turning a corner and are left feeling stupid when everything reverts back to normal. 

Luckily, I have great material to pick from down the line from yourself and a couple other posters :)

Seems like you're pretty thrilled whenever Virtanen struggles.

Personally, I don't think he was a great pick and I don't think he'll turn out to be anything more than a middle 6 player when all is said and done.

That being said, I want so much to be wrong, and I'm always happy whenever Jake looks like he's finally starting to get it. I get no happiness from seeing him struggle. My sense of self satisfaction just isn't that important to me.

To each their own though.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Seems like you're pretty thrilled whenever Virtanen struggles.

Personally, I don't think he was a great pick and I don't think he'll turn out to be anything more than a middle 6 player when all is said and done.

That being said, I want so much to be wrong, and I'm always happy whenever Jake looks like he's finally starting to get it. I get no happiness from seeing him struggle. My sense of self satisfaction just isn't that important to me.

To each their own though.

I don’t think that’s a bad place for Jake to be. Top 10 picks aren’t all first line/top pairing players... you hope they become that but honestly a #6 pick that turns into a second line winger that plays physical and is capable of potting 20 points isn’t bad imho. 

• Cheers 1