The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 2018-11-05 at 7:51 PM, DeNiro said:

I'd rather see Eriksson there.

As poor as he's been here he's the only one that is a proven 30 goal scorer. Maybe a high end playmaker like he had in Boston is what he needs. And maybe his goal last game was him getting the monkey off his back.

Worth a shot IMO.

Ok, 1-0 now Eriksson to pettersson, I’m ok with another try at this!

Jake's best game of the year so far.  

Let me ask this.  Fans are understandably still upset with JB taking Virt over Ehlers and Nylander.  Those two transitioned easily into the league, while Virtanen struggled.  What has to happen for Jake to be the right pick?  I genuinely think we are a year away from being there.

Let's say that Ehlers and Nylander top out as speedy 65-70 point offensive wingers that are reasonably soft and do not excel defensively?  To me I would rather have a 45-50 point fast power forward who plays with physicality and excels defensively.  I think Jake gets there by next season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Jake's best game of the year so far.  

Let me ask this.  Fans are understandably still upset with JB taking Virt over Ehlers and Nylander.  Those two transitioned easily into the league, while Virtanen struggled.  What has to happen for Jake to be the right pick?  I genuinely think we are a year away from being there.

Let's say that Ehlers and Nylander top out as speedy 65-70 point offensive wingers that are reasonably soft and do not excel defensively?  To me I would rather have a 45-50 point fast power forward who plays with physicality and excels defensively.  I think Jake is there.

FTFY ::D

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not to take anything away from Green's solid coaching but perhaps Virtanen just needed time to mature and develop as well as get good coaching. 

I'm sure that factored in as well, but Jake was in a very sensitive position when he was sent back to Utica. Some props goes to Jake himself for taking it all in stride and working his tail off.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm sure that factored in as well, but Jake was in a very sensitive position when he was sent back to Utica. Some props goes to Jake himself for taking it all in stride and working his tail off.

He was simply a prospect that needed more development, not a burned-out guy on the precipice of failing forever.  Puljujarvi and Yamamoto just got sent down, but it's yet to be seen if they can be developed into NHLers or if they'll be two more on the list of Oiler fails.