The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

27 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Another solid game by Jake last night. 5 hits. As much as Lucic was playing hard I thought the Canucks won the physical game. 

Canucks outhit the Oilers and played far more like they were the rested team than the one playing back-to-back nights.   Guddy and Jake were big factors in grinding down the Oilers and keep them to the perimeter.   Very few second chances and very few high quality chances.   Hitchcock was whining about grabbing McDavid but if you watched the game closely, Horvat's feet never stopped moving and he and his line (Loui in particular) played with commitment.    

Last night was one of those games where Virtanen does not show up on the scoresheet but he was integral to the victory.   I remain puzzled as to how some don't see how valuable Virtanen is to this team and how his progression has him emerging as one of the key pieces of what the Canucks look poised to become.

• Upvote 2

I think Virtanen will prove himself over time. I don't know if the doubters are just doubting at this point because of the numerous people here calling them out, but he is improving which I hope everyone can agree on.

It's funny really how people here are arguing whether or not Virt's top 6 or top 9. Seriously, what difference does it really make if he's improving? One might as well get offended in an argument on fork vs spoon. lol

• Upvote 3

Jake is coming along nicely especially on the defnesive side of things. Even though he made a really nice play on the Cancuks first goal, he still makes plays in the offensive zone that's really annoying.

Couple of examples: first period he gets a clean look at the net from the left side but instead of taking the puck to the net or shooting high he tries the perimeter play, a backhand wrap-around (a play that doesn't even work in juniors most of the time), then on his breakaway he tries to go five-hole without even looking what the goalie does instead of just trying to roof the puck.

I think Jake will be a fine two-way player in the future but still makes the wrong play now and then.

Edited by J-P
Addition

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Jake is coming along nicely especially on the defnesive side of things. Even though he made a really nice play on the Cancuks first goal, he still makes plays in the offensive zone that's really annoying.

Couple of examples: first period he gets a clean look at the net from the left side but instead of taking the puck to the net or shooting high he tries the perimeter play, a backhand wrap-around (a play that doesn't even work in juniors most of the time), then on his breakaway he tries to go five-hole without even looking what the goalie does instead of just trying to roof the puck.

I think Jake will be a fine two-way player in the future but still makes the wrong play now and then.

I saw it differently. Thought Jake was the best Canuck last night. He is creating a lot of chances for his team mates. He set up Horvat early in the 3rd on a pass that should have been converted. I think Horvat duffed the shot. Not sure how many turnovers he created but at least 4 in the ozone. Consistent physical play and ya he stood up for a team mate which is a new twist for the Canucks as a group. 

On the wrap around. He could have taken the shot but doing the wrap around gave his team mates time to get to the front of the net for a loose puck. He made the same move on his break away that he scored on a few games back. I would suggest that his speed is well known now which might open the 5 hole in anticipation of a move one way ot the other. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, J-P said:

I really liked Jake's game last night.  One of the best games I've seen him play.  Created separation fore checking, some great back checking that turned into offensive opportunities and played with grit while sticking up for Troy.  He shouldn't drive the front of the net every time he goes around a defender.  He will become predictable.  Changing it up with a wrap around or stopping up to make a pass or take a shot allows him to surprise defenders because they know he may not just cut in front of the net.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, Jake had another game where he looked dominant. A stranger watching the game (someone who was not aware that Jake is a bust, a wasted draft pick) could be excused for thinking that Jake is one of our star players. Too bad he didn't score on his breakaway, it would have been really nice to see him get a Gordie Howe hat trick.

Yeah, that would've been really cool. Something like that might give his confidence a real boost as well.

Played  a great game last night.  I think he gets 24 goals, 16 assists, 40 points this year.  I don't see any reason why he doesn't top out at a 60 point power forward.  I can't wait to see him in a playoff series, he has potential to dominate.  Super pumped about how he has come along.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Played  a great game last night.  I think he gets 24 goals, 16 assists, 40 points this year.  I don't see any reason why he doesn't top out at a 60 point power forward.  I can't wait to see him in a playoff series, he has potential to dominate.  Super pumped about how he has come along.  

I have to admit; at the start of the season I saw him as just a North - South player that was not showing much creativity or drive to the net. He is really progressing well as the season unfolds and is increasingly becoming the player that most fans hoped he could be.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Completely irrelevant.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, Hutton Wink said:

A problem many have is that they simply equate "best player" with most points.  In large part yes, the better scorers are better players, but it's not a linear scale.  If it were wholly true, then drafting would be a breeze -- just sort-by-points.  Many call McDavid "the best player in the world".  Sure he's the best points-producer, but is he really the best overall player?  Far bigger debate there, akin to a similar one that took place a number of years ago between Crosby and Toews.  Is Goldobin the 3rd-best player (forward) on the Canucks?

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

Hutton Wink

You really need to ask

Well he not only has the scoring Trophies each year playing for a horrible organization

His peers who play against him and appreciate his skill have named him MOST OUTSTANDING PLAYER each year (Can those recognitions be beat)?

Just because McD does not play for the Canucks.

How about appreciating his skill and being a Canadian

He never picked to be an Oiler (Would some like to see another ugly Lindros scenario each draft year)?

No it is not the same with Goldy, he is not a dominate player  in any manner asMcD, Ep,that controls games, He even disappeared while EP was injured

Really Hutton?

I made a comment a week ago and all you come back with is completely irrelevant lol

It appears you responding back a week later with only that to offer in a post

Is

Completely irrelevant

• Haha 2

Could you imagine if the Canucks gave up on Jake too early and traded him a year or two ago? What a nightmare. Happy for him that he's taken another step, he's proving to be a very valuable member of this team. Career high 11 goals so far, he'll get 20+.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could you imagine if the Canucks gave up on Jake too early and traded him a year or two ago? What a nightmare. Happy for him that he's taken another step, he's proving to be a very valuable member of this team. Career high 11 goals so far, he'll get 20+.

Trading Jake would have been another Neely move.  Guys like Jake (heavy, elite skating, elite skills, mean, tough, and hits like a truck) are very hard to find.  JB was smart to draft and develop Jake, so we have that type of player.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Given the Jake hate a good many around here would have loved that 2nd rounder we would have got. Especially since that's where all the Duncan Keith's are apparently.

• Haha 3