The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

To be fair so was almost all of the rest of the team as well.

Aye but all I heard after it was announced that JV was back in was "expect a big game from Jake tonight."

FTR I think Green is a great coach, you can't hit a HR every at bat.  I just wish he'd scratch Granny or Loui for a game when they show the same intensity of Goldy.

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Aye but all I heard after it was announced that JV was back in was "expect a big game from Jake tonight."

FTR I think Green is a great coach, you can't hit a HR every at bat.  I just wish he'd scratch Granny or Loui for a game when they show the same intensity of Goldy.

And then the majority of the team came out on the ice with a wet fart of a game. Not sure you lay that at the feet of Green or single out Virtanen. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/24/2019 at 10:17 AM, Where'd Luongo? said:

Lol at the people ripping Virt for last nights game. That was an awful game for the entire team.

I think people wanted more of a response to Green making it seem like he was scratching him. Especially for a player thats in an energy role. That being said, with the amount of times we're chasing vs dictating the play its no wonder why the team is dead tired half-way through the season.

On 1/23/2019 at 1:07 PM, shad0w4life said:

JV with EP has been a trainwreck, he makes EP play worse, there was a big analysis of this done on TSN a while ago. 

JV lacks any offensive prowess the last couple of months, better be sending him a message that he should be producing far more offensively, we have enough shutdown guys so if he's going to try and fill that niche we may as well trade him.

Play him with shutdown guys in a shutdown role then get mad when his offense dries up? How does that make any sense? Lol. Oddly enough his numbers were better when Sutter, Baer and Boeser were out cause they had to play Virtanen with better players. As a Virtanen fan do we have to hope for injuries so Green HAS to put Jake with useful players? Ever since those 3 guys came back Jake has to play with Schaller or Roussel and Sutter. Not sure how much offense he is supposed to provide with those guys given the only one with double digit points is Roussel and none of them are what any one would consider playmakers. Although Roussel's assist total seems unusually high.

Edit: As for the trade him part, I agree. I'd love to see him get traded to a team that'll use him to his strengths. I'd love to see him play with Barzal in NY. Send him to Tampa to play with Point. Lets see him with Aho in Carolina. It's Jake's fault he can't score with 5 points in 21 games Sutter on his line. Getting 30 seconds of 2nd unit PP time with guys like Granny, Motte, Sutter and Pouliot that don't even have time to pick their nose before the PP ends.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Play him with shutdown guys in a shutdown role then get mad when his offense dries up? How does that make any sense? Lol. Oddly enough his numbers were better when Sutter, Baer and Boeser were out cause they had to play Virtanen with better players. As a Virtanen fan do we have to hope for injuries so Green HAS to put Jake with useful players? Ever since those 3 guys came back Jake has to play with Schaller or Roussel and Sutter. Not sure how much offense he is supposed to provide with those guys given the only one with double digit points is Roussel and none of them are what any one would consider playmakers. Although Roussel's assist total seems unusually high.

Edit: As for the trade him part, I agree. I'd love to see him get traded to a team that'll use him to his strengths. I'd love to see him play with Barzal in NY. Send him to Tampa to play with Point. Lets see him with Aho in Carolina. It's Jake's fault he can't score with 5 points in 21 games Sutter on his line. Getting 30 seconds of 2nd unit PP time with guys like Granny, Motte, Sutter and Pouliot that don't even have time to pick their nose before the PP ends.

Can’t say I’ve seen Virtanen play that much as I started to follow the Canucks recently because of EP. 

But Jake is not top line material and never will be imo. He’s a head’s down and charge type of guy with limited vision, composure and creativity. When EP and Boeser is on you want then to control the puck and Virtanen at LW is a bit of a black hole in possession, pass him the puck and it likely won’t come back again unless you chase it down in the corner. Useful is a shutdown line yes but putting him in a top offensive line is gonna do the stars a disfavour, though Jake’s numbers would naturally improve.

He’s just not that good, Jake..

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Green sees Virtanen as an RW - his competition is not Baertschi who only plays LW, and after Boeser there's still one spot open as top-6 RW.   Virtanen is competing with Leivo, Eriksson and more recently Granlund for that spot.  Even with Pettersson injured, Boeser played initially with Goldobin-Sutter before moving up to play with Horvat the following game.

Baertschi wasn't even top-6 when he returned from his concussion - he started on a line with Granlund-Leivo.  

Leivo, Eriksson and Granlund can play both sides and lower in the lineup and Eriksson has recently been LW4.  Goldobin could also be in the mix although Green has mostly played him at LW.  There's no one blocking Virtanen from grabbing that RW spot with Horvat (- Pettersson-Boeser being a separate line).

The Canucks use 2x 4Fs on the PP.  Baertschi missed 30 games so there was always a spot open.  Although Goldobin was scratched recently Green went with Sutter on the PP and not Virtanen.

Virtanen has started only 2 games with Schaller - it was in early November and their C was Horvat.  He hasn't started with Schaller since.  Schaller has played 5 games after the Christmas break  - 3x with Beagle-Motte and 2x with Granlund-Leivo.

• Cheers 1

I'd honestly like to know, at what point in Jake's career did he give anyone the impression that he is a net-driving power forward? I've watched the kid since junior, and that has never really been his game. He has a great shot, including an excellent backhand, but only average dangles. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

I'd honestly like to know, at what point in Jake's career did he give anyone the impression that he is a net-driving power forward? I've watched the kid since junior, and that has never really been his game. He has a great shot, including an excellent backhand, but only average dangles. 

To me "net-driving power forward" and "dangles" are two completely different styles. Jake's hands are average at best, but Jake has always been fast, strong, and a great checker. The puzzles fit perfectly into a net-driving power forward's playstyle. He has all the tools and showed it in junior more so than in the NHL: That said, he's definitely shown it at the NHL level a bit too.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

To me "net-driving power forward" and "dangles" are two completely different styles. Jake's hands are average at best, but Jake has always been fast, strong, and a great checker. The puzzles fit perfectly into a net-driving power forward's playstyle. He has all the tools and showed it in junior more so than in the NHL: That said, he's definitely shown it at the NHL level a bit too.

I'd say he's more of a grinder than a power forward. Fast, strong and a great checker sounds like Hansen, no one would call him a power forward. Sure Hansen isn't a tank that runs people over sometimes but overall Jake doesn't carry the puck particularly well. Not well enough to be a power forward. When I heard he was gonna work on his hands in the offseason I had hoped he'd be able to do what Bo does. Bo is very good at protecting the puck and bringing it to the net. Bo is more of a power forward than Jake. Jake is more of a Hansen that can hit.

• Cheers 1