The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I'd say he's more of a grinder than a power forward. Fast, strong and a great checker sounds like Hansen, no one would call him a power forward. Sure Hansen isn't a tank that runs people over sometimes but overall Jake doesn't carry the puck particularly well. Not well enough to be a power forward. When I heard he was gonna work on his hands in the offseason I had hoped he'd be able to do what Bo does. Bo is very good at protecting the puck and bringing it to the net. Bo is more of a power forward than Jake. Jake is more of a Hansen that can hit.

I'd say Jake is considerably bigger and stronger than Hansen and less aggressive, but aside from that I can agree. Bo drives the net far better than Jake.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd say Jake is considerably bigger and stronger than Hansen and less aggressive, but aside from that I can agree. Bo drives the net far better than Jake.

Hansen is 6'1 200 pounds. Jake is roughly the same height and maybe 10-15 pounds heavier which is definitely significant. But doesn't change the fact that Jake's toolkit is not one of a power forward. His style is more grinder.

He seems afraid to carry the puck for very long in the offensive zone, he'll skate the puck in the neutral zone but that's where his puck carrying usually ends. Electing to dump the puck into the offensive zone or on net for a super low percentage shot. Not sure what his deal is at this point. Whether it's fear of messing up or just no confidence in his own ability. But for him to be considered a power forward in my books he needs to at least attempt to carry the puck to the net. Something he never really does. He does it so rarely in fact I can't even tell if he's good at protecting the puck or not. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, luckylager said:

I like how Jake's been rounding out his game. His play away from the puck has definitely improved

HOWEVER

THAT WEAK &^@#ING WRISTER FROM WAY OUTSIDE HAS GOT TO STOP! Make a goddam power move and drive the &^@#ing net like an actual power forward ffs. Taking a $&!#ty wrister when NO OTHER CANUCK IS EVEN IN THE ZONE IS COMPLETELY USELESS.

Sorry for yelling.

He's not using his size, strength or speed when he's the first man in the zone, he just fires that brutally low percentage shot from like 50 ft out. Wtf is that and why hasn't Green beaten that garbage out of him yet?

If he's facing a strong body, just skate it deep and get guys into the zone. That shot is going to go in maybe 1/200.

Drive the net or skate it deep, Jake. You're a damn power forward, quit doing pretty boy "I'm scared" crap. Dammit. Grrrrrrr

Rant over. Drive the net. &^@#

He's playing more like a grinder rather than a PWF. 

To me Virtanen hasn't shown a lot of the characteristics a powerforward possesses. I'm not going to downplay Virtanen because he's been playing some excellent hockey. But I think we might need to change the narrative a bit. I don't think he's the kind of PWF many of us expected him to become. 

He can be somewhat aggressive, usually net front scrums and stuff, but he hasn't been that dominant, force-to-be-reckoned with persona he had in junior and his first year as a Canuck. He hasn't been in a fight since 2016 (not a knock lol), and isn't even leading the team in hits this season. Doesn't drive the net regularly enough, but when he does, good things occur. 

What Virtanen excels at is protecting the puck down low, creating separation and room for players, as well as using his shot to create chances and opportunities around the net. Virtanen plays like a grinder. His speed and his tenacious fore-checking ability demonstrates that. 

Virtanen's main problem from what I've seen on my screen is his creativity. When he enters the zone, he doesn't handle the puck like a confident puckmover though he does have decent puck skills, his thought process is usually do a couple of short stops and then get a shot on goal in hopes of a rebound or the puck deflects to an area of the ice where plays can start. There's literally nothing wrong with that, it's just he tries to do this in every situation. 

Guess how I'm going to end it though.. he's 22 years old. Guys like him take years before they finally put things together. He's improved drastically from last season and we all said the same thing about him last season too. He's progressing really well and will prove to be a very valuable asset in the future. Every time I see his name thrown around I cringe. 

I can see him finishing anywhere around 30-35pts which would be really solid. Somewhere south of 20 goals.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Odd. said:

To me Virtanen hasn't shown a lot of the characteristics a powerforward possesses. I'm not going to downplay Virtanen because he's been playing some excellent hockey. But I think we might need to change the narrative a bit. I don't think he's the kind of PWF many of us expected him to become. 

He can be somewhat aggressive, usually net front scrums and stuff, but he hasn't been that dominant, force-to-be-reckoned with persona he had in junior and his first year as a Canuck. He hasn't been in a fight since 2016 (not a knock lol), and isn't even leading the team in hits this season. Doesn't drive the net regularly enough, but when he does, good things occur. 

What Virtanen excels at is protecting the puck down low, creating separation and room for players, as well as using his shot to create chances and opportunities around the net. Virtanen plays like a grinder. His speed and his tenacious fore-checking ability demonstrates that. 

Virtanen's main problem from what I've seen on my screen is his creativity. When he enters the zone, he doesn't handle the puck like a confident puckmover though he does have decent puck skills, his thought process is usually do a couple of short stops and then get a shot on goal in hopes of a rebound or the puck deflects to an area of the ice where plays can start. There's literally nothing wrong with that, it's just he tries to do this in every situation. 

Guess how I'm going to end it though.. he's 22 years old. Guys like him take years before they finally put things together. He's improved drastically from last season and we all said the same thing about him last season too. He's progressing really well and will prove to be a very valuable asset in the future. Every time I see his name thrown around I cringe. 

I can see him finishing anywhere around 30-35pts which would be really solid. Somewhere south of 20 goals.

Jake has shown that he reviews his game and tries to adjust. I am pretty happy with his season and expect to see another level next year. He will be a force on a CUP contending team. 

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

To me "net-driving power forward" and "dangles" are two completely different styles. Jake's hands are average at best, but Jake has always been fast, strong, and a great checker. The puzzles fit perfectly into a net-driving power forward's playstyle. He has all the tools and showed it in junior more so than in the NHL: That said, he's definitely shown it at the NHL level a bit too.

You're right, and 'dangles' probably isn't the word I should have used there. I don't know that I've ever seen enough of Jake driving to the net, protecting the puck, and beating the tendy with that last second move (be it a deke, chip shot, or using his reach to slip the puck around a pad). In junior, Jake had that extra moment to get a solid shot off, and he had some gorgeous snipes. It just doesn't seem like he has found that time/space at the NHL level consistantly.

The poster I was responding seems to want Jake to crash the net and hope for a goal instead of a penalty. I just don't see that in his game.

I know Jake was in a goal scoring drought but he is still 4th on the team in goals and will finish the season with at least 20 goals.  That would would be a successful season for Jake.  Besides, I have 8 more cans of beer to shotgun ::D.  I thought Jake had a good game last night.  He made some good defensive plays with 2 or 3 good back checks.  I would like to see Jake & Roussel seem to play well together.  Jake seems to have a little extra jump when he is on a line with Roussel.  Maybe even throw Pete between them for fun. :)

56 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I'm still on board. I'd just like to see him use his speed and strength more when he carries the puck into the o zone, as opposed to letting that predictable shot go before any other Canuck is deep enough to do anything with a potential rebound.

Not to take away from the positive strides he's made, it's just a frustrating trend. He's got tools that he's not using IMO

In reference to comments about Jake size as a Power Forward, I met him last summer and he doesn't seem all that big.  I am 6' 2" and he was an inch or 2 shorter than me and no way he weighs 229 lb.  I had him pegged for around 210 lb.  He sure has big legs.  I suppose that is why he is such a strong skater. :)

7 hours ago, dpn1 said:

In reference to comments about Jake size as a Power Forward, I met him last summer and he doesn't seem all that big.  I am 6' 2" and he was an inch or 2 shorter than me and no way he weighs 229 lb.  I had him pegged for around 210 lb.  He sure has big legs.  I suppose that is why he is such a strong skater. :)

Yeah 229lbs inaccurate. He was pretty overweight when they weighed him at 229 almost more than 2 seasons ago. IICR, he's somewhere between 207-220. Read it somewhere

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

Jake Virtanen could be a top six player with the ability to break a game wide open... if he used his physical abilities.

Unfortunately for him and the Canucks, he is only using 50% of his potential.

Things he could do a lot more of:

-  Hit... he has a lot of opportunities because of his speed and size, but  he does not hit as much as he could.  He should be leading the team in hits... instead Motte is.

-  Drive to the net... he has the size and speed to do this... but when was the last time you saw him drive to the net against opposition?   He only goes to the net when he has a clear breakaway... if he has any opposition, he either shoots or goes behind the net

-  Cut to the middle...  he always goes wide, rarely cuts to the middle.  For someone who is so strong on his skates and so fast, he is missing a huge number of opportunities to get himself in a better scoring position.  Instead of always having to shoot at a bad angle off the wing, he could be giving himself opportunties in the slot.  Which would give him a lot more goals... because he does have a very good shot.

All of the mentioned above are about confidence and courage... Jake seems to lack both... very strange considering how strong a player he is.  Obviously trying to use his physical skills comes with some risk, i.e. hitting means having to back up hits with fights sometimes... going to the net means having to risk injury from collisions.... and cutting to the middle risks a bigger chance of a hit from a D or backchecking forward.

Jake has to ask himself:  "Do I want to be a peripheral player who is so so in impact... or do I want to be aggressive and really impact the game?"

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Jake Virtanen could be a top six player with the ability to break a game wide open... if he used his physical abilities.

Unfortunately for him and the Canucks, he is only using 50% of his potential.

Things he could do a lot more of:

-  Hit... he has a lot of opportunities because of his speed and size, but  he does not hit as much as he could.  He should be leading the team in hits... instead Motte is.

-  Drive to the net... he has the size and speed to do this... but when was the last time you saw him drive to the net against opposition?   He only goes to the net when he has a clear breakaway... if he has any opposition, he either shoots or goes behind the net

-  Cut to the middle...  he always goes wide, rarely cuts to the middle.  For someone who is so strong on his skates and so fast, he is missing a huge number of opportunities to get himself in a better scoring position.  Instead of always having to shoot at a bad angle off the wing, he could be giving himself opportunties in the slot.  Which would give him a lot more goals... because he does have a very good shot.

All of the mentioned above are about confidence and courage... Jake seems to lack both... very strange considering how strong a player he is.  Obviously trying to use his physical skills comes with some risk, i.e. hitting means having to back up hits with fights sometimes... going to the net means having to risk injury from collisions.... and cutting to the middle risks a bigger chance of a hit from a D or backchecking forward.

Jake has to ask himself:  "Do I want to be a peripheral player who is so so in impact... or do I want to be aggressive and really impact the game?"

I agree with a few of your points, but disagree with Jake cutting across the ice.  I don’t think his coaches want him doing that.  They

ikeY want him staying on his wing, and playing a heavy game along the walls.  Jake drivinghard along the walls insidethe blue line, will drive the D back, and make room for our more skilled guys to work above the dots. 

21 hours ago, luckylager said:

I like how Jake's been rounding out his game. His play away from the puck has definitely improved

HOWEVER

THAT WEAK &^@#ING WRISTER FROM WAY OUTSIDE HAS GOT TO STOP! Make a goddam power move and drive the &^@#ing net like an actual power forward ffs. Taking a $&!#ty wrister when NO OTHER CANUCK IS EVEN IN THE ZONE IS COMPLETELY USELESS.

Sorry for yelling.

He's not using his size, strength or speed when he's the first man in the zone, he just fires that brutally low percentage shot from like 50 ft out. Wtf is that and why hasn't Green beaten that garbage out of him yet?

If he's facing a strong body, just skate it deep and get guys into the zone. That shot is going to go in maybe 1/200.

Drive the net or skate it deep, Jake. You're a damn power forward, quit doing pretty boy "I'm scared" crap. Dammit. Grrrrrrr

Rant over. Drive the net. &^@#

I seem to remember Kesler going thru a phase like that.. tough to watch

9 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Yeah after his Utica season I read an article that had him pegged at 216, even that seemed high. Never seen him in person but he doesn't look massive like that. People keep throwing around the 230 weight cause that's his weight as listed seemingly everywhere. Guess they don't update it for guys that are not teenagers. People think he is bigger than he is because he hits but he's really not super physically imposing. 210 pounds, but has tree trunks for legs so he's super hard to move when you collide with him.

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

I seem to remember Kesler going thru a phase like that.. tough to watch

I do too. Kesler tended to rush the play and not use his teammates very well. Opted to shoot low quality, low percentage shots instead of looking for options. He grew out of that to some extent.

What I'm hoping to see from Jake is a bit more (and I hate to say it) "David Booth" in his game. Jake gains the zone with speed and instead of trying to drive outside then use his speed and strength to cut back towards the net, he takes that predictable wrister as the first man in. No screen, no one close enough to take advantage of a rebound etc.

It's the only part of his game I'm annoyed with these days. I'm picking on that one little part of what he does. I really like Jake and am impressed with the all'round progress he's made over the last couple of seasons. I feel like if he'd just have the confidence to take on any dman and really attack the net or even skate the puck a bit deeper he'd be a serious force.

I really want him to be more than just a grinder. He's got the skills to do it, he just needs to &^@#ing do it.

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I do too. Kesler tended to rush the play and not use his teammates very well. Opted to shoot low quality, low percentage shots instead of looking for options. He grew out of that to some extent.

What I'm hoping to see from Jake is a bit more (and I hate to say it) "David Booth" in his game. Jake gains the zone with speed and instead of trying to drive outside then use his speed and strength to cut back towards the net, he takes that predictable wrister as the first man in. No screen, no one close enough to take advantage of a rebound etc.

It's the only part of his game I'm annoyed with these days. I'm picking on that one little part of what he does. I really like Jake and am impressed with the all'round progress he's made over the last couple of seasons. I feel like if he'd just have the confidence to take on any dman and really attack the net or even skate the puck a bit deeper he'd be a serious force.

I really want him to be more than just a grinder. He's got the skills to do it, he just needs to &^@#ing do it.

agree with most of that.  I'd like to aim higher than booth tho.. he had his moments of glory, but I feel like he was inconsistent in that area as well.. 

Jake is another player who needs a specific skill set to complement his own.. and then watch him go! haven't given up on him yet

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

agree with most of that.  I'd like to aim higher than booth tho.. he had his moments of glory, but I feel like he was inconsistent in that area as well.. 

Jake is another player who needs a specific skill set to complement his own.. and then watch him go! haven't given up on him yet

Oh I was referring to Jake using Booth's old power move, not anything else though. Just the beat em outside, get low, protect the puck and drive the net.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Oh I was referring to Jake using Booth's old power move, not anything else though. Just the beat em outside, get low, protect the puck and drive the net.

yes! just drop that shoulder into them and drive the net.. 

60% of the time, it works every time :P

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Exactly! Hockey IQ :)

I think it's habitual more than anything. It worked for him at every level up to the NHL.

He actually scored on one this season, which was a goddamn travesty because now we have to see him do it another 200 times before he flukes out again.

• Haha 1