The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 3/7/2019 at 5:03 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

he played his role very well.  Of course Pettersson Boeser and HOrvat not scoring is hurting us.

Well since brock and petey were split up and some experiments with different lines no wonder he was missed. immediately when jake returned bo got his partner back and Leivo got to play with brock and petey and they are starting to produce again. 

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Game after game of nothingness from Jake, no healthy scratch no criticism, just fly's under the radar.  Even Loui makes more of an impact in comparison to Jake, as does Pouliot, Goldobin and any other player who gets shredded on these boards.  

I agree with your points, but it honestly kind of feels like you just come out of the woodwork once Jake's gone cold to proudly trumpet the horn of his demise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I agree with your points, but it honestly kind of feels like you just come out of the woodwork once Jake's gone cold to proudly trumpet the horn of his demise.

You could say the same about posters like @J-Dizzle who came out of the woodwork when he was doing well and have now magically disappeared. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Gone cold?  He's been cold basically all year and I haven't said a bad thing about him. 

People only comment in this thread when he scores a goal every couple of weeks.

His effort needs to be better, not the end of the world

Cold all year? Do you think he's been worse than last year? What about at the start of the year when he was on pace for 30 goals? He's been cold lately, but I don't see how you can claim he's been cold all year long.

I do agree however that he needs to step up his game right now; he's not contributing enough.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He'll be lucky if he even gets 30 points.  He's been cold for months on end

So not "basically all year" then.

He's been cold since the start of 2019, but also recall that he missed several weeks in there too due to injury.

Since the start of 2019, he's played 20 games and picked up just 5 points. During 2018 this year, he had 18 points in 42 games, which is dramatically better. Hopefully we see 2018 Jake return soon or he'll begin getting the wrath of Travis again I suspect.

EDIT: I also like how you cherry-picked that goal stat by finding the start of his goal drought. Try being more honest with your statistical analysis and don't let your bias affect you sample.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

He has scored 5 goals since November,  playing over 15 minutes a game, so ya I think he's been cold basically all year.  He needs to find other ways to make an impact but he's not doing that either

I also like how you cherry-picked that goal stat by finding the start of his goal drought in mid November. Try being more honest with your statistical analysis and don't let your bias affect your sample. I could do the exact opposite and point out that he also had 5 goals in a 30-game span during that exact same time frame, but you chose your sample right up to the start of his 10-game goalless drought to maximize how bad you could make Jake look.

I agree with you that Jake has been much worse lately, but at least be honest with your analysis.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm confused?  Help me write it so it sounds better then. I didn't even pin point an exact date.. I could of said he has scored just 5 goals since November 13th, that just makes it sound worse.

Are you saying that 5 goals in 30 games is a good thing?  That just puts him at the exact pace that he's on right now.  15 goals ,12 assists is probably about what he will finish with, with 2 empty net goals and assists.   

he scored 8 goals right off the bat in October/November and has scored 5 in the 40+ games after that, how am I being dishonest?   I just hardly notice him when he's out there, he'll make one okay play per game and that's it. 

Jake is great!  He’s a key piece for us. 

I think next year we get a clear idea of what we have in Jake. His tool kit is mouth watering but consistency is still a issue but that comes with time. Virtanen has made strides this year as he has gained Green's confidence in his game other than his ppg. His ppg does have to improve which is next year's challenge. I do think Jake can be a key member of a 'heavy' line that the forward group really needs. Hoping that Roussel has had a influence on Jake this year.

• Like 1

Jake jad a bad game yesterday but in all fairness it was a back to back and a 3 game in 4 nights after hes been injured for 4 weeks. 

Look he may never have that offensive prowess you hope for at his draft position, but we're a better team with him in the lineup. He may just be a good third liner that wears down the other team and is good in his own zone. Guess what. Teams need that to win.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm confused?  Help me write it so it sounds better then. I didn't even pin point an exact date.. I could of said he has scored just 5 goals since November 13th, that just makes it sound worse.

Are you saying that 5 goals in 30 games is a good thing?  That just puts him at the exact pace that he's on right now.  15 goals ,12 assists is probably about what he will finish with, with 2 empty net goals and assists.   

he scored 8 goals right off the bat in October/November and has scored 5 in the 40+ games after that, how am I being dishonest?   I just hardly notice him when he's out there, he'll make one okay play per game and that's it. 

The problem is that you are a well-known Virtanen basher, so things that you say will obviously be taken with a grain of salt. As AJ says, don't let your bias affect your sample. Numbers can be "cooked" to make a player sound better or worse than they really are.

He's still a young player and will need to work hard in the summer to be a more effective player. He hasn't been scratched for any period of time, so the effort is there. He just needs to bring more to the table. Same as Goldobin.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Jake has to establish himself as a top 6 winger by the time the expansion draft comes or he will be gone, if management doesn't think he will get there in time they should move him in a package deal sooner rather than later. 

Would Jake plus OJ plus our first (5-12) get us into the top two of this draft?  

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Jake jad a bad game yesterday but in all fairness it was a back to back and a 3 game in 4 nights after hes been injured for 4 weeks. 

Look he may never have that offensive prowess you hope for at his draft position, but we're a better team with him in the lineup. He may just be a good third liner that wears down the other team and is good in his own zone. Guess what. Teams need that to win.

This.

Clearly hasn't got back to 100% coming back from injury. Not worried.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Jake has to establish himself as a top 6 winger by the time the expansion draft comes or he will be gone, if management doesn't think he will get there in time they should move him in a package deal sooner rather than later. 

I dont agree.  I know the results given his draft position have been disappointing but even as a 3rd liner he brings speed and hitting to our 3rd line.  One may say he is the perfect 3rd liner in fact.  As such, I feel he will stick around.  Losing him would make our soft team even softer.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I dont agree.  I know the results given his draft position have been disappointing but even as a 3rd liner he brings speed and hitting to our 3rd line.  One may say he is the perfect 3rd liner in fact.  As such, I feel he will stick around.  Losing him would make our soft team even softer.

If he had the work ethic of Motte I wouldn't mind, but watching him reminds me a lot of Kassian. Speed and tenacity when he ha the puck but as soon as he loses it his game slows down and he ends up puck watching. He's definitely a lot better than Kassian in most regards to his defensive game, but I don't see him taking another step development wise unless he starts showing that he wants it as bad as Horvat or Pettersson.

Edited by Mathew Barzal

14 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Ya im sure Seattle will really enjoy his speed and hitting. We can only protect our top six forwards and a third line center.