The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya im sure Seattle will really enjoy his speed and hitting. We can only protect our top six forwards and a third line center.  

To be honest, I have not looked much into who we will or will not (or CAN) protect. I guess if he is the odd man out...

I do wish we could keep him though.  Ribs take a long time to feel 100% and it will (has) probably make the slow progress we have seen from him even slower.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, guntrix said:

You could say the same about posters like @J-Dizzle who came out of the woodwork when he was doing well and have now magically disappeared. 

Nah, I’m still here. Just posted in the game day thread on Sunday how I’d like to see Jake paired up with Bo... think that could have the potential to be a great duo!

Thanks for thinning of me though ::D

Jake haters coming out in full force it seems.

Even with his less than stellar points production this season (more so as of late) he has been an effective player and trending upwards as a 22 year old.

He is 2nd on the team in hits after Motte

His takeaway to giveaway ratio is fantastic

He has stayed on Green's good side

Not to mention his cap hit is very favorable

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Maybe it depends on who has those picks. 

Yes, it would depend on who has those top two picks.  I would certainly do this.  OJ is not going to pan out as a star player in the Canuck organization.  

17 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Yes, it would depend on who has those top two picks.  I would certainly do this.  OJ is not going to pan out as a star player in the Canuck organization.  

If we could somehow turn our 2019 first + Jake + OJ into Jack Hughes I’d be ecstatic.  Jack Hughes would be the perfect winger for Bo.  I remember Burke gave up a lot to get the second twin in ‘99.  

47 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay I challenge you to cook his numbers in such a way that it makes his production look impressive.   Good luck

Yeah he needs to bring more to the table, so you agree with me.  Cool

The point isn't to try to make Virtanen look good, it's to try to keep your sample as unbiased as possible so as to avoid undermining your credibility.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we could somehow turn our 2019 first + Jake + OJ into Jack Hughes I’d be ecstatic.  Jack Hughes would be the perfect winger for Bo.  I remember Burke gave up a lot to get the second twin in ‘99.  

Alf,What about if we get 3rd overall?

Could get a decent d man

You would include a 2nd overall if we got it, or where do you limit the 1st pick cut off?

I highly doubt Jake and OJ will be top tier players on any contending team

I think Jake is enjoying his pay and will up his game and work hard for his next contract, that is when you sell him high

We always buy high and get guys having career years and they never pan out

Canucks are notorious  buying high , selling low and that needs to change

Is Jake just  another Sandlak hoping we don't give away another Neely/

Is Jake just another Kassian where we say Power forwards take longer?

Jake isn't a power forward and not a younger Tzachuk either

I think he is what we see, a player content with getting good money and not looking to work like a Brock or EP to be better

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay I challenge you to cook his numbers in such a way that it makes his production look impressive.   Good luck

Yeah he needs to bring more to the table, so you agree with me.  Cool

I'll leave that to oldnews, who is more of an expert at advanced stats. But wait, I don't think you two get along.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Im not even talking about his production, it's just the lack of impact he has on each game, whether it's scoring, agitating, running guys over, creating space and havoc in front of the net. With his skill set we should be seeing much more of these things

That #6 overall pick is a sunk cost, we have to stop expecting from him what we hoped we were going to get when we drafted him and instead take a more realistic approach as to what he probably will be.

He's always had strong underlying numbers and he's on a 30 point pace despite playing about a third of his minutes with the offensive black hole that is Brandon Sutter.

A young cost-controlled two-way 3rd liner that brings a physical element that could be an x-factor come playoff time is still a valuable asset. Getting frustrated at him not being what we hoped he can be is pointless.

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen could make for a fantastic third line going forward.

Edited by kanucks25

37 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Again, I from day one pegged this kid as having bottom 6 potential, his point totals are pretty much right where I expected them to be but there is no excuse for Jake becoming a ghost on most nights.  He is supposed to be someone you notice when he's not getting on the scoreboard and sorry but I haven't been seeing it.  I criticize Jake like I criticize anyone else who doesn't show up to play for long stretches at a time.

That's what you get from 3rd liners. They average about 2 points every 5 games, so some games in there they aren't going to show up. Players that show up every game are called 1st liners.

Virtanen is what he is. You don't get upset at other 3rd liners for not being 1st liners so there's no point in doing it for Virtanen. Just because there is perceived "potential" for him to be something special doesn't mean it's actually realistic.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

That #6 overall pick is a sunk cost, we have to stop expecting from him what we hoped we were going to get when we drafted him and instead take a more realistic approach as to what he probably will be.

He's always had strong underlying numbers and he's on a 30 point pace despite playing about a third of his minutes with the offensive black hole that is Brandon Sutter.

A young cost-controlled two-way 3rd liner that brings a physical element that could be an x-factor come playoff time is still a valuable asset. Getting frustrated at him not being what we hoped he can be is pointless.

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen could make for a fantastic third line going forward.

There is not enough said about this! Sutter has turned out to be such a terrible singing in hindsight, he use to be decent defensively but this year he is not that way at all. not to mention his zero offensive output.

11 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

There is not enough said about this! Sutter has turned out to be such a terrible singing in hindsight, he use to be decent defensively but this year he is not that way at all. not to mention his zero offensive output.

Isn't just bad in hindsight, it was bad starting from the trade to acquire him which had us send out the better player and a higher pick.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

sutter the 4.5 mill 2 assist  king  needs to be traded or waived before next yr please  

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Some of us have been preaching this for the majority of the season. Tanev too. These players provide zero offence and are no better than goldy. If goldobin cant play in only one zone how do these 2 get away with it.

• Cheers 2