The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

18 hours ago, Dannydog said:

I believe he is afraid.He really only starts pushing/pulling ,lite jabs or  a face wash when the linesmen and refs are in between.You can see it in his expression just when a conflict starts. His natural born hockey gifts of speed, size, a really good shot and when he does deliver that hit, its bone crushing.  His natural talents if he chooses to use them consistently(which he should) is always gonna attract physical attention in a retalitory way. Teach the kid to fight,build his confidence. Train him with fighters of his build on how to control opponents,pick his spots ect..I'm not saying "make jake an enforcer" but teach him these tools. All Confidence based. You can see the difference in a secure man compared to an insecure one.

It really looks like he's afraid to get hit in the face. This off-season he should take some boxing lessons and get into a few sparring sessions where he is legit getting hit in the face. He's not some pretty boy who should be worried about his modelling career. He doesn't have to fight all of the time, but he isn't able to use his hitting effectively if he's worried about getting jumped and potentially getting hit in the face.

• Upvote 1

If you look up NHL re drafts you will find the following:

Horvat drafted 9 in 2013 redraft at 5

Virtanen drafted 6 in 2014 redraft at 22

Boeser drafted 23 in 2015 redraft at 8

Juolevi drafted 5 in 2016 redraft at 14

Pettersson drafted 5 in 2017 redraft at 1

Hughes drafted 7 in 2018 redraft tbd

Granted these redrafts are opinion based,  but they also look at production and represent a concensus of opinion.

Virtanen on this basis is the worst top pick by the Canucks in the last 6 years.  I think he has lots of room to grow.  But the question is looming.  Is he going to ever come anywhere close to his potential or is he going to remain a career underachiever? Would love to see him turn the corner, but remember he is only 1 year younger than Horvat and at this point isn't half the player that Bo is. He is older then Boeser and Pettersson and is no where near their elite level.

C'mon Jake.  Time to take control of your own career buddy.

• Cheers 1

It'd be a shame to lose the potential there with his speed and size.  I think many here are touching on some of the issues....for me, it's lack of focus as he seems to zone in/out.  When he's invested, he can be pretty effective.  But, as some have stated, he seems content at times to just skate around, being an NHL player.  I think he's basking in that and it's not yet really registered that it's a lot of hard work besides just "making it in".  I think if he ever does connect the dots and take Stech & Bo's lead on commitment/training and Petey's attitude about never really being satisfied he'll do well.  Question is, will that switch be flicked to on?  Could be a maturity issue and I'm hoping he's a late bloomer in settling in to the work load rather than just being content with "being" an NHL'er.  

Maybe Jake thinks he's a star now, after they coined him "Shotgun Jake" and made the drinking game. People must be thirsty. Been a while Jake.

I think Jake has all of the tools to be a dominant Top 6 power forward - except for one very important piece - his Brain. He doesn't think the game well, he reacts. When he gets the puck, it's like he doesn't see anything but what's directly in front of him. Pettersson for example, will make an impossible cross-ice pass to an open player no one else saw. Jake, not wanting to lose the puck, skates like the wind down the side boards, crosses the blueline and then he has no plan. This usually results in a giveaway or a poor shot attempt. He could have team mates open, but his brain doesn't work that way. Terrible vision and hockey IQ IMO.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe Jake thinks he's a star now, after they coined him "Shotgun Jake" and made the drinking game. People must be thirsty. Been a while Jake.

I think Jake has all of the tools to be a dominant Top 6 power forward - except for one very important piece - his Brain. He doesn't think the game well, he reacts. When he gets the puck, it's like he doesn't see anything but what's directly in front of him. Pettersson for example, will make an impossible cross-ice pass to an open player no one else saw. Jake, not wanting to lose the puck, skates like the wind down the side boards, crosses the blueline and then he has no plan. This usually results in a giveaway or a poor shot attempt. He could have team mates open, but his brain doesn't work that way. Terrible vision and hockey IQ IMO.

Hard to disagree with you there. HOWEVER, many players have carved themselves very nice careers without vision and IQ. Kesler and zucker are a couple that come to mind.

Jake is still young and yes he has a ways to go  for learning.  yes I get frustrated  when he doesn't play well, but I just think of Eriksson,  and a few others on the team, taking up space. it would be a mistake to give up on Jake now.  

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Hard to disagree with you there. HOWEVER, many players have carved themselves very nice careers without vision and IQ. Kesler and zucker are a couple that come to mind.

Although Kesler had very poor decision making, he processed the game as good as anyone. Selke winners don't win by being dumb. 

Though to add on to the list:

Zucker

Neal

Lucic

Grabner

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

Jake lacks maturity and commitment, and needs a couple of trades to bring him around.

Maybe JB, calls him into the office and tells Jake he is working on a trade to Edmonton

and says he wants him to go down to Utica for a conditioning stint before he goes

Really shake him up and see how he responds...…..

Then go back to him latter and tell him the trade fell through as Lucic didn't want to wave

Like tear him down, and let him actually shake a little

To me, he plays like he is entitled and doesn't have to bring it every shift...…...

That or make him play against Greenwood, Reeves and let him swim in the deep end

Maybe put a Presto Log under his arse?

Needs something!

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Jake lacks maturity and commitment, and needs a couple of trades to bring him around.

Maybe JB, calls him into the office and tells Jake he is working on a trade to Edmonton

and says he wants him to go down to Utica for a conditioning stint before he goes

Really shake him up and see how he responds...…..

Then go back to him latter and tell him the trade fell through as Lucic didn't want to wave

Like tear him down, and let him actually shake a little

To me, he plays like he is entitled and doesn't have to bring it every shift...…...

That or make him play against Greenwood, Reeves and let him swim in the deep end

Maybe put a Presto Log under his arse?

Needs something!

Jake is not the only one who is struggling.  Can't heap all the fault on Jake.  There is plenty of blame to go around even in our top 6.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Jake is not the only one who is struggling.  Can't heap all the fault on Jake.  There is plenty of blame to go around even in our top 6.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Jake struggling...……….

Jake has these amazing gifts from God

and he is not using them consistently

He is not going to be a 1st or 2nd line player

unless he can develop that killer, relentless, power game

Even now, when he gets into a scrum, he is usually in there

but not showing any conviction, tearing off a helmet off or throwing mad/crazy punches

he needs to do that, and drive players into the fifth row, on every shift

Once he starts doing that, he starts putting defensemen on their heals

and that will give him more room, and allow him time to dish off to his

line-mates. Then he has a chance of becoming that true PF

As of right now.....a lot of people are making excuses for him

He needs a kick in the A$$

As some one said....he appears more concerned with his pretty face

PS...………..I think Jake can do it, but he needs to believe he can do it.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with Jake struggling...……….

Jake has these amazing gifts from God

and he is not using them consistently

He is not going to be a 1st or 2nd line player

unless he can develop that killer, relentless, power game

Even now, when he gets into a scrum, he is usually in there

but not showing any conviction, tearing off a helmet off or throwing mad/crazy punches

he needs to do that, and drive players into the fifth row, on every shift

Once he starts doing that, he starts putting defensemen on their heals

and that will give him more room, and allow him time to dish off to his

line-mates. Then he has a chance of becoming that true PF

As of right now.....a lot of people are making excuses for him

He needs a kick in the A$$

As some one said....he appears more concerned with his pretty face

PS...………..I think Jake can do it, but he needs to believe he can do it.

Time is running out on Jake.  It has been what, 3 years? and he still has to be told to use his skills to be effective?  Either he is too thick to understand or it is just not in his make up to play that way.  He did in junior but seems reluctant to play that way in the NHL.  One could just say he will be an effective 3rd or 4th line player but his disappearing act and fly-by defensive lapses don't really make him that kind of player either. Maybe something will click at some point and he will put it together but it seems  he struggles to think the game and I'm not sure that can be taught.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Time is running out on Jake.  It has been what, 3 years? and he still has to be told to use his skills to be effective?  Either he is too thick to understand or it is just not in his make up to play that way.  He did in junior but seems reluctant to play that way in the NHL.  One could just say he will be an effective 3rd or 4th line player but his disappearing act and fly-by defensive lapses don't really make him that kind of player either. Maybe something will click at some point and he will put it together but it seems  he struggles to think the game and I'm not sure that can be taught.

If he still hasn't shown much progress 4 years later, come back to this thread and say this. How is time running out?

Edited by Odd.

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I love the keyboard warriors on here questioning the work ethic and commitment of a professional athlete.

“If I were in the show I’d be grinding 24/7! Nothing but beets, quinoa, and chicken in this body. Extra skills work twice a day and video work with the coaching staff every minute of my free time. I’d be a 60 goal player with Jake’s gifts.”

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

“If I were in the show I’d be grinding 24/7! Nothing but beets, quinoa, and chicken in this body. Extra skills work twice a day and video work with the coaching staff every minute of my free time. I’d be a 60 goal player with Jake’s gifts.”

This is usually said by a guy that groans getting up from the couch, as his hips and knee make strange sounds.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, gurn said:

This is usually said by a guy that groans getting up from the couch, as his hips and knee make strange sounds.

Bingo. 

“I’d be in the bigs right now if my Little League coach didn’t favour his son over me. I had a devastating curveball.”