The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with Jake struggling...……….

Jake has these amazing gifts from God

and he is not using them consistently

He is not going to be a 1st or 2nd line player

unless he can develop that killer, relentless, power game

Even now, when he gets into a scrum, he is usually in there

but not showing any conviction, tearing off a helmet off or throwing mad/crazy punches

he needs to do that, and drive players into the fifth row, on every shift

Once he starts doing that, he starts putting defensemen on their heals

and that will give him more room, and allow him time to dish off to his

line-mates. Then he has a chance of becoming that true PF

As of right now.....a lot of people are making excuses for him

He needs a kick in the A$$

As some one said....he appears more concerned with his pretty face

PS...………..I think Jake can do it, but he needs to believe he can do it.

I'm sorry but you expectations are a bit out off wack.  No one will ever be able to do what your asking.  There are too many variables.  Injuries, Back to backs, and fatigue effect everyone and even the best go through droughts and have their miss steps during the season.  Its foolish to think a player is going to shine every game.  

34 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I love the keyboard warriors on here questioning the work ethic and commitment of a professional athlete.

Gonna call you on this

I have had the privilege of playing with and knowing a lot of pro-athlete, there is a wide degree of commitment by some of them, and have partied with a few, and had conversation with a few. I have heard their opinions on some of their team-mates, and behind closed doors, they exactly like the rest of the world, and whine and bitch, just like everyone else.

I will say this though, I have witnessed some which were very committed, and some not so. Oddly enough, the ones that I have contact with are either very elite, or very fringe, and in both cases, left parties and get togethers very early to either prevent their routines from being disrupted, and or left early to go to their training.

So, yes, I never played pro, but I have played with a few of them...they are diverse and talented. But are human.

PS...……..you do not know who you are talking to on here, so you might keep that in mind.

But keep in mind that Virtanen's problem is between his ears, and everyone sees it. (Everyone!)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Odd. said:

If he still hasn't shown much progress 4 years later, come back to this thread and say this. How is time running out?

See "Goldobin".  Coaches have a certain amount of patience but not never ending.  Green has been clear about how Jake has to learn to bring it consistently, drive the net, be a force etc.  After three years, Jake's game has not grown much and he is often MIA.  There are lots of young players in the Nucks stable and more on the way.  If Jake wants to secure a spot in the future, he has to start to "get it". 

7 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I'm sorry but you expectations are a bit out off wack.  No one will ever be able to do what your asking.  There are too many variables.  Injuries, Back to backs, and fatigue effect everyone and even the best go through droughts and have their miss steps during the season.  Its foolish to think a player is going to shine every game.  

My complaint is my opinion

Using humor, albeit poor, is just that

But the constant is that in the NHL, everyone goes through the same war...…...

So, yes injuries happen, and yes some players sag, but others don't

For Jake to reach higher, Jake needs to be more consistent.....

There is absolutely no physical difference between Tom Wilson and Jake, except attitude......

Some are born Warriors some are not.....

The actual physical difference between Jake and Tom, weight very heavily in Jakes favour

yet, it is the actual other way around on the ice.

Again. the variables you mention are all equal, and there for not variables, in comparison of the 2

The variable is between the ears...….

Let me ask you a question...…….

2 boxers, equal in size, speed, quickness, and hitting strength get in the ring

yet rarely do you see draws

Fights are lost and won in the stare, before the first swing has ever happened......

Explain that

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

200 NHL games is enough sample size to show what you are. Those expecting more are likely in for more disappointment.

What makes Jake such a conundrum is that he does show what he could be but only for short periods of time.  Who is the real Jake Virtanen on the ice?  I think the jury is still out on that.  Obviously Green likes what he believes Jake can be it is just that Jake doesn't seem to grasp the concept or doesn't have the means to bring it consistently. 

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

What makes Jake such a conundrum is that he does show what he could be but only for short periods of time.  Who is the real Jake Virtanen on the ice?  I think the jury is still out on that.  Obviously Green likes what he believes Jake can be it is just that Jake doesn't seem to grasp the concept or doesn't have the means to bring it consistently. 

It is funny, but I do see progression in Jakes game, and as he ages, may be able to find that inner beast more consistently.

I would also like to see Green try Jake on Pettersson's line for the rest of the season on LW. Just sitting on the bench and having Petey explain things, might have a huge impact on Jake.

Imagine if we found our 1st line LWer

What is there to loose at this point in the season

jakes Speed may actually help Elais, as it would push the Dmen back on enteries………????

• Like 1

Funny, but all this talk, takes me to my son and I, who are so different in our sports...

He was 6'4" 206lbs at 16, had a killer of a shot, and was basically bullet proof...……(Less Drive)

ME.....the old man, he was a plumber, with big fists, and no talent, that could play with talented players (I have drive plus!)

If we could have merged the two of us...…..we coulda been a star! LOL

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Gonna call you on this

I have had the privilege of playing with and knowing a lot of pro-athlete, there is a wide degree of commitment by some of them, and have partied with a few, and had conversation with a few. I have heard their opinions on some of their team-mates, and behind closed doors, they exactly like the rest of the world, and whine and bitch, just like everyone else.

I will say this though, I have witnessed some which were very committed, and some not so. Oddly enough, the ones that I have contact with are either very elite, or very fringe, and in both cases, left parties and get togethers very early to either prevent their routines from being disrupted, and or left early to go to their training.

So, yes, I never played pro, but I have played with a few of them...they are diverse and talented. But are human.

PS...……..you do not know who you are talking to on here, so you might keep that in mind.

But keep in mind that Virtanen's problem is between his ears, and everyone sees it. (Everyone!)

Wtf is this crap man? Is it a threat? Are you going to have me wacked? You're the one criticizing a 22yr old kid WHO YOU DONT KNOW whilst sitting on your ass eating cheetos. How about this you dont know who you're talking to on here bub. Get real this is CDC man, no one is better than anyone else. Except maybe vintage.  

That is by far the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on here. My god. Criticizes professional then pulls that card on someone who comes to his defence.  Unless you're Trevor linden I suggest you pipe down bruh.

I was hoping for more, and I guess it wasn't fair to compare him at all to Neely. Jake is his own player. He's got decent size, a good shot and great speed. Maybe Pettersson needs to teach him how to stick handle and pass. Green isn't able to.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I love the keyboard warriors on here questioning the work ethic and commitment of a professional athlete.

Really! You seem to have a double standard...……...unless I read that wrong????? Maybe I was too sensitive????

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Bingo. 

“I’d be in the bigs right now if my Little League coach didn’t favour his son over me. I had a devastating curveball.”

You and Gurn must have very active fantasy lives.  You jump from some fans expressing observations and concerns to them having delusions of being NHL star players.   

Perhaps you need to temper your imagination just a bit.

29 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

It is funny, but I do see progression in Jakes game, and as he ages, may be able to find that inner beast more consistently.

I would also like to see Green try Jake on Pettersson's line for the rest of the season on LW. Just sitting on the bench and having Petey explain things, might have a huge impact on Jake.

Imagine if we found our 1st line LWer

What is there to loose at this point in the season

jakes Speed may actually help Elais, as it would push the Dmen back on enteries………????

I agree that Jake may yet put it together and if he does, I hope it will be with the Nucks.  It would be nice to see Green put the kids in positions as you say regardless of whether they have Earned it or not just to see if it doesn't spark something.  The magic of Burrows with the twins was achieved in a similar way.  If Green can play Eriksson and Pearson on the top lines, why not give Jake a shot?   

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Wtf is this crap man? Is it a threat? Are you going to have me wacked? You're the one criticizing a 22yr old kid WHO YOU DONT KNOW whilst sitting on your ass eating cheetos. How about this you dont know who you're talking to on here bub. Get real this is CDC man, no one is better than anyone else. Except maybe vintage.  

That is by far the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on here. My god. Criticizes professional then pulls that card on someone who comes to his defence.  Unless you're Trevor linden I suggest you pipe down bruh.

Well I guess I was told....lol

Hey look your the guy call us keyboard warriors....I am glad you get a kick out of us!

But who says I don't know Jake? How do you know any of that?

All, I am saying is Jake needs to commit to each and every shift...…...I think I am allowed to have that opinion, without being called a "Keyboard Warrior", unless you are calling your self that as well...…..but I did not take it that way...….it sounded like you think of yourself somewhat different?

In the end I don't really care what you call me...….but you my friend are also hiding behind a Key Board, when attacking me......

I have just taken a chill pill...…..don't like making enemies, so have a good day

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

You and Gurn must have very active fantasy lives.  You jump from some fans expressing observations and concerns to them having delusions of being NHL star players.   

Perhaps you need to temper your imagination just a bit.

No, it’s people making these baseless comments about his lack of commitment and work ethic. Probably a lot of the same people we see on here talking about how hard they’d be working if they were in so-and-so’s shoes. 

If Jake didn’t give a crap he wouldn’t have upped his fitness so much a couple years back. Green lauded him for his work ethic and commitment to training that year in Utica too. It’s a dumb, made-up narrative. 

• Like 1

There is some improvement, so there is hope that he continues to develop and he becomes that power forward we've been waiting for.

2015/16 - 13 pts in 55 games (-7)

2016/17 - 1 pt in 10 games (Utica bound for that season) 

2017/18 - 20 pts in 75 games (-11)

2018/19 - 24 pts in 66 games (-4)

But is this enough of an improvement? To put it into perspective, Eriksson and Goldobin both have more points than Jake this year. He's going to need to do much better.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

My complaint is my opinion

Using humor, albeit poor, is just that

But the constant is that in the NHL, everyone goes through the same war...…...

So, yes injuries happen, and yes some players sag, but others don't

For Jake to reach higher, Jake needs to be more consistent.....

There is absolutely no physical difference between Tom Wilson and Jake, except attitude......

Some are born Warriors some are not.....

The actual physical difference between Jake and Tom, weight very heavily in Jakes favour

yet, it is the actual other way around on the ice.

Again. the variables you mention are all equal, and there for not variables, in comparison of the 2

The variable is between the ears...….

Let me ask you a question...…….

2 boxers, equal in size, speed, quickness, and hitting strength get in the ring

yet rarely do you see draws

Fights are lost and won in the stare, before the first swing has ever happened......

Explain that

Tom Wilson 6' 4" 220 lb.  Jake is 6' 1" 212 or 215 lb.  I'd say there is a bit of a difference in size.  Also, I wouldn't want Wilson on my team.

3 hours ago, RonMexico said:

200 NHL games is enough sample size to show what you are. Those expecting more are likely in for more disappointment.

Right, because NHL players never get any better after that. By the way, I guess this was before your time, but you might want to take a look at the Sedins' production at 22 years of age/200 NHL games. Many people were talking the same crap about them back then. 

• Upvote 2

Jake's value would be in post season,  and we won't see that for maybe a year or two. To hang so much blame on one 22 year old player?

I have other players I'd hang a bag of dirt on first.

Jake's not our savior piece. EP/Boes/Bo those are our key players and they need supporting cast.

Gaudette, Sutter, Roussell, Motte, Lievo, Pearson, Beags all have harder checking  roles in TG system. 

The softer wingers need a overhaul, we need these soft winger guys to do more scoring to help our top 3 forwards. The soft wingers- Goldy-enigma, Granny-enigma, Bears-injuries, Eriksson-miscast, are all bigger question marks than Jake IMHO.

Let's clean up our bigger question marks first. They are all question mark players for various reasons but they don't have what Jake has, especially for the playoffs. And we have time for him to gel into that type of player, maybe even on the PK. We may make one round next year, and two rounds the year after.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

No, it’s people making these baseless comments about his lack of commitment and work ethic. Probably a lot of the same people we see on here talking about how hard they’d be working if they were in so-and-so’s shoes. 

If Jake didn’t give a crap he wouldn’t have upped his fitness so much a couple years back. Green lauded him for his work ethic and commitment to training that year in Utica too. It’s a dumb, made-up narrative. 

I don't know Jake so I can't comment on his level of commitment.  Commitment to fitness doesn't necessarily translate to commitment on the ice however and it seems that is Green's focus with Jake.  With his tools (size, speed, shot) he should be a difference maker and needs to be one on a consistent basis.  Is it a lack of commitment?  A lack of hockey IQ? A kid who is slow to mature and grasp the game?  Who Knows?  The fact is that he is not producing at a level that will keep him in the top 6 and is not consistent and strong enough defensively to be a bottom six shut down guy.    

I really want Jake to make it because he has such incredible tools but there are other kids coming up that will be challenging him soon and he needs to make a leap to the next level if he doesn't want to see others pass him buy. JMHO.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I don't know Jake so I can't comment on his level of commitment.  Commitment to fitness doesn't necessarily translate to commitment on the ice however and it seems that is Green's focus with Jake.  With his tools (size, speed, shot) he should be a difference maker and needs to be one on a consistent basis.  Is it a lack of commitment?  A lack of hockey IQ? A kid who is slow to mature and grasp the game?  Who Knows?  The fact is that he is not producing at a level that will keep him in the top 6 and is not consistent and strong enough defensively to be a bottom six shut down guy.    

I really want Jake to make it because he has such incredible tools but there are other kids coming up that will be challenging him soon and he needs to make a leap to the next level if he doesn't want to see others pass him buy. JMHO.

Leivo is in the top-6 and on PP1 and he is producing at the same pace as Virtanen - both around 0.36.