The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I was just listening to some guy ripping Jake for scoring 2 open net goals this year.  How many open net goals did other guys get?  I am all for Constructive Criticism but this is just petty.  Even Bo had 1 or 2 empty net goals this year. :blink:

Edited by dpn1

16 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

What did Jake's goals project to over 82 games?  I am guessing 20 or a few more.  Most everyone thought if he did that his season would have been considered a good one.

His 15 goals in 70 games projected to 18 goals in 82 games. Agree with the idea for sure--a lot of people discredit a player for being injured or missing games, but per-game stats are often a better way of seeing how good a player was.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I was just listening to some guy ripping Jake for scoring 2 open net goals this year.  How many open net goals did other guys get?  I am all for Constructive Criticism but this is just petty.  Even Bo had 1 or 2 empty net goals this year. :blink:

Who said that?

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Brian Burke was on 650 radio this morning, and he said when Jake figures out his role, Jake will be a beast, and especially in the playoffs.  

Jake will score 20 goals, and cause havoc with opponents.  

I really believe the Willie D experience retarded Jake's (physicality) development.  Jake destroyed Polack, and got a 2 game suspension.  Willie D stupidly criticized Jake publicly (who knows how bad the criticism was privately) about being not a smart player.  Willie should have stood up for Jake, and said that's a good hit, and got Jake doing more of that!  Stupid Willie D.  Jake lost his confidence with his aggressiveness after that, and is now only getting it back.  

As well, Henrik Sedin criticized him for the hit, which I thought was in poor taste.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As well, Henrik Sedin criticized him for the hit, which I thought was in poor taste.

Henrik did too!  Look at the value of guys that play that heavy, mean, nasty, overly aggressive guys in the playoffs.  We need to let Jake just friggin' crush guys.  If he gets a couple suspensions for that during the season, I think that's a good thing.  Then other teams' players will be looking out for him.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Henrik did too!  Look at the value of guys that play that heavy, mean, nasty, overly aggressive guys in the playoffs.  We need to let Jake just friggin' crush guys.  If he gets a couple suspensions for that during the season, I think that's a good thing.  Then other teams' players will be looking out for him.  

For sure. They need to let Jake go free and find his hitting game. If Jake doesn't make his hitting, which he is excellent at, part of his regular game then he will not be an NHLer for long. 

Watching MacKinnon skate down the left side. FFS. Can Travis not line up Jake on the left side? Both speedy righties. Get Jake to gain the zone with his speed and back of the d, then curl off at the faceoff dot like Mac and look for a play. Very frustrating.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Squamfan said:

There is a difference between him and other players

Yeah, you're right. Jake should spend every waking hour training to appease us. I hear burnout is just a myth anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't know if Jake will ever meet that description, but it sure would be nice to see him hitting guys like he did before the suspension.  He's just one of those frustrating players that needs a lot of time to figure out his game.  His pace is steady, but slow. 

I like it when he has Rousel on his like; it seems to give him more confidence.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, rekker said:

Watching MacKinnon skate down the left side. FFS. Can Travis not line up Jake on the left side? Both speedy righties. Get Jake to gain the zone with his speed and back of the d, then curl off at the faceoff dot like Mac and look for a play. Very frustrating.

Last two games this season Green started Jake on Petey's left wing with Brock on the right.  I think that was a message to Jake to work really hard this summer, and come to camp ready to play left wing on that line.  I think Jake will play left wing with Petey and Brock, and have a big season next year.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

Seriously instead of practicing dudes partying in Vegas.

Where did you hear this Squam? 

Anyways...Jake is doing what a lot of 22yr olds are either doing, or wish they could be doing, at the end of a long period of mentally or physically tough work.  He deserves a break from hockey before he begins the grind of offseason training.  If he's still partying in June, I will be concerned.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rekker said:

It's already been tried. Jake didn't do anything on the left with Petey and Boeser, he is what he is.