The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

It's already been tried. Jake didn't do anything on the left with Petey and Boeser, he is what he is. 

It was only a taste for Jake, so he'd know what's expected of him next season if he is going to get to play top six minutes.  Green played this hand wisely.  Now Jake needs train like a demon, and be ready to take on that challenge.  Jake needs to go to a puck battle clinic, and become a beast along the walls.  

• Like 1

Virtanen is getting a lot of flak because of where he was picked (6th OA). Benning and his scouts can be blamed for that. Not Jake's fault. If he was picked in the 2nd round, we would have no issue with his development. Hopefully he improves his game with the opportunity he's given.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It was only a taste for Jake, so he'd know what's expected of him next season if he is going to get to play top six minutes.  Green played this hand wisely.  Now Jake needs train like a demon, and be ready to take on that challenge.  Jake needs to go to a puck battle clinic, and become a beast along the walls.  

I'm over the idea of him as a top 6 winger for us, and I think it's only a 50/50 proposition he's back to start the year, I really think he gets traded for a dman. 

But if he is back and if he can put up 15 goals 15 assists for the rest of his career and be a little bit annoying in the playoffs, I think that's where the bar is at for him right now. 

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Brian Burke was on 650 radio this morning, and he said when Jake figures out his role, Jake will be a beast, and especially in the playoffs.  

Jake will score 20 goals, and cause havoc with opponents.  

I really believe the Willie D experience retarded Jake's (physicality) development.  Jake destroyed Polack, and got a 2 game suspension.  Willie D stupidly criticized Jake publicly (who knows how bad the criticism was privately) about being not a smart player.  Willie should have stood up for Jake, and said that's a good hit, and got Jake doing more of that!  Stupid Willie D.  Jake lost his confidence with his aggressiveness after that, and is now only getting it back.  

Yeah who knows, Burke also said Weekes was the goalie of the future and a few years later said Kesler is the next Trevor Linden for the franchise.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Jake needs to learn to play like Antoine Rousell and be that guy that is a pain in the ass for the opposition. Go to the net hard, screen the goalie and excel at tipping the puck....score a few dirty goals and stick up for your teammates. With Jakes speed, size and a decent shot, he can be that type of player. 

He just needs the same chance that Goldobin has been given before jumping the gun and trading him. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/18/2019 at 12:09 PM, higgyfan said:

I don't know if Jake will ever meet that description, but it sure would be nice to see him hitting guys like he did before the suspension.  He's just one of those frustrating players that needs a lot of time to figure out his game.  His pace is steady, but slow. 

I like it when he has Rousel on his like; it seems to give him more confidence.

Jake could learn a lot from Antoine Rousel….he is a perfect role model for Jake.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, Squamfan said:

There is a difference between him and other players

Just watched Boeser’s insta story and he is watching midget wrestling instead of training...

Every player takes time off once their season is over, you’re being ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, amplified0ne said:

If Jake can be a consistently gritty 15 goal guy and maybe add penalty killing, he'll be invaluable moving forward.  Looks like fans are turning on Ehlers and Nylander with what they are getting paid and the term of their contracts.

Their contracts and their effectiveness/lack thereof in the playoffs. I had Ehlers and Nylander 1 and 2 for our pick that year, but it was immediately obvious to me why JB chose Jake. After years of seeing our players bullied with impunity in the playoffs, I am looking forward to seeing Jake be one of our bullies. Starting next year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/21/2019 at 9:21 PM, Slegr said:

Coming up - 20 goals, 40 points in 2019/20, plus more consistency edginess. 

Not unless he can be "taught to play" the left side with Pettersson and Boeser - in which case he might just jump to 20 goals and 50 points!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Trade him already. Fans just holding on to false hope just like we did with zack kassian.

Jakes the exact kind of player we need, especially in the playoffs. He’s still young, I’m confident he’ll be a 20 goal guy in his prime.

• Upvote 1