Sign in to follow this  
avelanch

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

On 1/11/2020 at 8:03 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Jake should get a shot on PK 2 he would be exciting for breakaway shorthanded chances

Agreed.  Jussi like Bure back in the day.  A true threat short handed.  With Jake’s speed and power he could easily get a few short handed goals this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Man how did @The 5th Line survive the Sedins.....they took years to become star players and they had great hockey IQ lol dude I want what your smoking lol

Alf's his supplier. You should talk to Alf! :lol: (kidding Alf!)

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

21 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Alf's his supplier. You should talk to Alf! :lol: (kidding Alf!)

Booze is magic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wonder if JV is one of the most talked about Canuck in recent history. 1200 pages seems crazy. 

Im very pleased with the way his season has shaped up. One of my favourite players. He’s got more upside to come. Thanks for being so patient Canucks fans :lol:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I wonder if JV is one of the most talked about Canuck in recent history. 1200 pages seems crazy. 

Im very pleased with the way his season has shaped up. One of my favourite players. He’s got more upside to come. Thanks for being so patient Canucks fans :lol:

hahaha

not all of the fans were patient with Jake. but I'm glad that management doesn't listen to the fanbase. 

if it were up to some fans, he would've been in another jersey by now already

• Hydration 2

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

if it were up to some fans, he would've been in another jersey by now already

Probably traded 3 years ago haha. Right about when he was sent to Utica. He obviously wasn’t going to make it haha

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He has matured so much this season. Patient with the puck, uses his size well to protect the puck, never stops skating in pursuit of the puck. 

Just like how power forwards do it.

Jake has a presence on the ice. Plain and simple he stands out. I watched Lawson Crouse the other night as a comparable. Crouse is another nice looking player but Jake is far more noticeable. People talk about his skating and board work which stands out but I particularly like his shot both slapper and wrister. His wrist shots are over powering. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Jake has a presence on the ice. Plain and simple he stands out. I watched Lawson Crouse the other night as a comparable. Crouse is another nice looking player but Jake is far more noticeable. People talk about his skating and board work which stands out but I particularly like his shot both slapper and wrister. His wrist shots are over powering. 

Jake must be hard to play against.  He’s a solid rock, who hurts guys when he hits them or when they hit him.  His great skating allows him to get to guys whether they have the puck or not.  I hope he continues to develop his rat game.  

On 1/17/2020 at 1:59 PM, Dazzle said:

I hope you eat your words when Virtanen improves even more than what he is doing now.

Eat my words haha.  I made a prediction 5 bloody years ago about a top 6 pick that I was unhappy with during a time where we had nothing in the pipeline unless we are counting the likes of cassels, subban, shinkaruk and gaunce who I'm sure all were highly regarded by most of you elite scouts here at the CDC. I thought his IQ and playmaking was lacking(for a player taken at that position)..it is and it still is no matter how much you want to argue this but yes it has improved leaps and bounds mostly in just this past 6 weeks.

People here started doubting him and changing their tunes year by year as they finally started seeing the faults in his game that I did years in advance.  I was so far ahead in terms of his projections as a player it's laughable.  He's a bit ahead of where I thought he would be at this point but you're making it sound like this was an easy prediction that I foolishly got wrong.  

It's funny reading guys like Alex Edler's page and seeing the best d man in franchise history get dumped on and ripped apart despite bringing it night after night and being a complete horse and our defensive rock for a decade.  

Then the local kid shows up to camp looking like the Pillsbury doughboy, half asses it and floats around for a few years putting up uninspiring numbers and turning down all sorts of physical altercations and the fan base wants to erect a shotgunning Jake statue outside the arena.  I'll give more respect when you show up to camp not appearing as the Michelin man, play like a real man and move your damn feet.  Serve this team that I support well for a few years, give it your all and collect your millions and you will have my respect, which is what players like Alex Edler have done.  

Most of the pain seems to be over and we have since drafted Hughes, Boeser and Petterson which have more than made up for Jake's 

Lack of offense that you EXPECT from a top 10 pick in today's game.  

Jake is looking great and is winning me over game after game but people need to relax, he's banging in goals off skates and picking up secondary assists.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

50 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Eat my words haha.  I made a prediction 5 bloody years ago about a top 6 pick that I was unhappy with during a time where we had nothing in the pipeline unless we are counting the likes of cassels, subban, shinkaruk and gaunce who I'm sure all were highly regarded by most of you elite scouts here at the CDC. I thought his IQ and playmaking was lacking(for a player taken at that position)..it is and it still is no matter how much you want to argue this but yes it has improved leaps and bounds mostly in just this past 6 weeks.

People here started doubting him and changing their tunes year by year as they finally started seeing the faults in his game that I did years in advance.  I was so far ahead in terms of his projections as a player it's laughable.  He's a bit ahead of where I thought he would be at this point but you're making it sound like this was an easy prediction that I foolishly got wrong.  

It's funny reading guys like Alex Edler's page and seeing the best d man in franchise history get dumped on and ripped apart despite bringing it night after night and being a complete horse and our defensive rock for a decade.  

Then the local kid shows up to camp looking like the Pillsbury doughboy, half asses it and floats around for a few years putting up uninspiring numbers and turning down all sorts of physical altercations and the fan base wants to erect a shotgunning Jake statue outside the arena.  I'll give more respect when you show up to camp not appearing as the Michelin man, play like a real man and move your damn feet.  Serve this team that I support well for a few years, give it your all and collect your millions and you will have my respect, which is what players like Alex Edler have done.  

Most of the pain seems to be over and we have since drafted Hughes, Boeser and Petterson which have more than made up for Jake's 

Lack of offense that you EXPECT from a top 10 pick in today's game.  

Jake is looking great and is winning me over game after game but people need to relax, he's banging in goals off skates and picking up secondary assists.  

I'm like you on Jake...he's trending the right way, but IMO, he didn't do himself any favours in past off seasons (though I think his last off-season wasn't as bad as it was made out to be), so he's got to do a little more to win those who are somewhat negatively biased towards him.  

If Jake can be the heavy, fast, hard-driving to the net player who uses his size and speed to generate space and goal scoring opportunities for himself and his linemates, then he will be the guy everyone hoped for in the six-hole.  He's been better, and though it's been with less regularity, plays still die when the puck is on his stick. I'm betting (hoping) that the real Jake will show his mettle in the playoffs.  He strikes me as someone who will rise to the occasion in the playoffs (i.e., the anti-Radim Vrbata). 

• Hydration 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

If you were expecting him to be some all star out the gate, you were setting yourself up for disappointment from jump.  He's having a nice breakout season.  

• Hydration 1

Anybody who actually believes the terms primary/secondary assists are meaningful analytics should go back to bean counting and stop watching hockey. Without question the most useless, nitpicky, idiotic statistic nerds have fabricated to date.

Also, Jake's a beauty. Those 'primary' assists tonight must have been pure luck.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1