avelanch

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could you imagine if the Canucks gave up on Jake too early and traded him a year or two ago? What a nightmare. Happy for him that he's taken another step, he's proving to be a very valuable member of this team. Career high 11 goals so far, he'll get 20+.

Trading Jake would have been another Neely move.  Guys like Jake (heavy, elite skating, elite skills, mean, tough, and hits like a truck) are very hard to find.  JB was smart to draft and develop Jake, so we have that type of player.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could you imagine if the Canucks gave up on Jake too early and traded him a year or two ago? What a nightmare. Happy for him that he's taken another step, he's proving to be a very valuable member of this team. Career high 11 goals so far, he'll get 20+.

Given the Jake hate a good many around here would have loved that 2nd rounder we would have got. Especially since that's where all the Duncan Keith's are apparently.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Trading Jake would have been another Neely move.  Guys like Jake (heavy, elite skating, elite skills, mean, tough, and hits like a truck) are very hard to find.  JB was smart to draft and develop Jake, so we have that type of player.  

Elite skills not so much to be honest; Jake has hands of stone at times. I think he will top out around 40-55 points a year.

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

6 hours ago, Shiftynifty said:

Elite skills not so much to be honest; Jake has hands of stone at times. I think he will top out around 40-55 points a year.

I would agree that he does not have 'elite" skills but they are at a decent level. All the rest of Alflives comment is pretty much on the mark though

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Shiftynifty said:

He has elite speed (made even more impressive considering his size) and an elite shot (speed and strength, not accuracy). His hands are also better than average and getting better. What Jake lacks is creativity and as a result it's difficult to play him with more cerebral players like Petey and Brock. But when you take into consideration his 2 plus skills with his obvious durability and ever emerging physicality it's not hard to see why people are getting excited about where he could top out at.

• Upvote 2

I am loving Jake's play lately. 

He seems to play his best during hard faught physical games which bodes well with the trajectory of this team, soon to be knocking on the door steps of the playoffs. 

When guys like Jake can raise their game whennthr going gets tough hes going to create more space for our skill guys. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

He is a unique player which is why I've been rooting for him and being patient. He's one where, if he truly finds his own self in the NHL there's hardly any player like him, if at all. I remember Torres being a wrecking ball, Virtanen seems like he could wreck Torres or Torres would just bounce off of Virt or something. lol

Edited by The Lock

Was at the game on Saturday and was really impressed with Jake.  Will he ever be a superstar 40-goal winger?  Probably not.  But on Saturday I saw a player with excellent speed and hustle, occasionally driving the play, and playing a gritty two-game.  Teams need players like that to win and I'm thrilled we have one.  

• Hydration 1

Still think Virtanen is too much of a perimeter player, but regardless it’s now clear that his floor is a 3rd line winger with blazing speed that can hit, score and play a responsible two-way game. And that at a reasonable cap hit. So seems like he will turn out to be a good draft pick and a player you really need on the team in the playoffs.  

10 minutes ago, J-P said:

Still think Virtanen is too much of a perimeter player, but regardless it’s now clear that his floor is a 3rd line winger with blazing speed that can hit, score and play a responsible two-way game. And that at a reasonable cap hit. So seems like he will turn out to be a good draft pick and a player you really need on the team in the playoffs.  

Ferlund drove us bananas during the playoffs a few seasons ago. That is Virtanen's floor. He has more speed and skill than Ferland. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dungass said:

Was at the game on Saturday and was really impressed with Jake.  Will he ever be a superstar 40-goal winger?  Probably not.  But on Saturday I saw a player with excellent speed and hustle, occasionally driving the play, and playing a gritty two-game.  Teams need players like that to win and I'm thrilled we have one.  

The opposition knows about Jake. You see defenders already looking over their shoulders and being second to the puck when Jake is coming in on the forecheck. He's already had a few reverse hits that were beauties like on kronwall who is known to step up and crush an unexpecting player. 

I think Jake still doesn't know how much he can push it without getting called for s penalty. When the whistle goes away during the playoffs, i hope he realizes he has a much longer leash to do what he wants on the ice. Someone here said it best before regarding Jake. He causes havoc during the play and comes back on the bench looking like a nervous kid who stole a plate of cookies. We're starting to see the transformation of Jake as one who causes havoc on the ice and comes back to the bench with a big smile. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, J-P said:

I agree and think he would be more effective if he wasn't

I think him seeing EP, Boeser have an impact at a young age as well as Bo's hard work and the fans Shotgun recognition has motivated him

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

The opposition knows about Jake. You see defenders already looking over their shoulders and being second to the puck when Jake is coming in on the forecheck. He's already had a few reverse hits that were beauties like on kronwall who is known to step up and crush an unexpecting player. 

I think Jake still doesn't know how much he can push it without getting called for s penalty. When the whistle goes away during the playoffs, i hope he realizes he has a much longer leash to do what he wants on the ice. Someone here said it best before regarding Jake. He causes havoc during the play and comes back on the bench looking like a nervous kid who stole a plate of cookies. We're starting to see the transformation of Jake as one who causes havoc on the ice and comes back to the bench with a big smile. 

Jake brings what every serious CUP contender has to have, a willingness to engage physically. Top that with break away speed and you have a unique player. What has impressed me more is that Virtanen seems to be very coachable. In typical Canuck fashion they rushed him to the NHL. I will admit that his WHL team were not coaching him much better. Canucks had to deconstruct Jake's game and rebuild him into a pro. Green has to get a lot of credit but Jake's ability to adjust is impressive. Jake as a 40 ppg player with his intangibles will make him a key part of the Canuck future.

What Jake is achieving cannot escape all those players within the org that have the NHL dream. They have witnessed what Jake went thru and hopefully realize they might do the same thing. Work hard, be open to coaching and take advantage of opportunities. Brendan Gaunce are you listening?  

Hoping we lock Virtanen up long term this offseason. I can see him only getting better as the team gets better and a bridge contract could hurt us in the long run.

6 years at 4M?

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hoping we lock Virtanen up long term this offseason. I can see him only getting better as the team gets better and a bridge contract could hurt us in the long run.

6 years at 4M?

Alex Tuch's contract could be used as a reference point. 7 years 4.75M which was thought of as a big risk and is currently looking good right now for the Golden Knights. There are pros and cons to leaving it till 2020.

15 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

6 years at 4M?

Cant imagine Virtanen signing long term as a third-second line player. Potential to earn far more money if he keeps improving numbers with increased ice time. I see a bridge deal.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Jake brings what every serious CUP contender has to have, a willingness to engage physically. Top that with break away speed and you have a unique player. What has impressed me more is that Virtanen seems to be very coachable. In typical Canuck fashion they rushed him to the NHL. I will admit that his WHL team were not coaching him much better. Canucks had to deconstruct Jake's game and rebuild him into a pro. Green has to get a lot of credit but Jake's ability to adjust is impressive. Jake as a 40 ppg player with his intangibles will make him a key part of the Canuck future.

What Jake is achieving cannot escape all those players within the org that have the NHL dream. They have witnessed what Jake went thru and hopefully realize they might do the same thing. Work hard, be open to coaching and take advantage of opportunities. Brendan Gaunce are you listening?  

You raise a great point about coachability. Some criticisms regarding Jake predraft and after were about his character / partying etc. 

Whenever i hear him in interviews, I'm so glad that people were either off base or he has matured and bought in to be a true pro. He is always very humble in his interviews talking about what he has to work on, how he still has a long way to go etc. 

The Jake we are seeing is just the beginning. 

He's getting late game ice time now and even OT time. He is understanding that hard work and focus on 2 way play will make him a better player. The coaches don't have a vendetta against him and now he sees that he is rewarded when playing well. 

• Upvote 1

His play has improved a lot since the start of the season. I think we are just beginning to see the player he could become.

This is exactly the type of complimentary player that the team needs in order to eventually have a deep run in the playoffs. Hard hitting, elite speed, decent puck skills and showing a high compete level all over the ice.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

6 years at 4M?

I'd rather get a bridge deal for something like $2.5-$3.5M for 2 years and keep him motivated. After that we can give him the $4M-$4.5M he deserves if he keeps it up.

• Upvote 3