avelanch

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

I don't like the MR comparison.  Jake brings so much more to the table.  MR was a timid perimeter player.  Jake is becoming a sound two way player who could be a 20+ goal scorer who isn't afraid to muck it up and stick up for his team mates.  He isn't going anywhere. :P

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I don't like the MR comparison.  Jake brings so much more to the table.  MR was a timid perimeter player.  Jake is becoming a sound two way player who could be a 20+ goal scorer who isn't afraid to muck it up and stick up for his team mates.  He isn't going anywhere. :P

I thought comparing was like saying who was better than who, which I never did...? I only said he reminded me of him, and then I explained my only reasoning after. Yet...Then people started disagreeing with me by starting to compare their other attributes that did not match. LOL It's not like I said he was a total copy of him. :P

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

No goals lately but Im still liking Jake's game. Defensively I like how he never cheats.  Granlund or Sutter arnt guys that he seems to click offensively with 

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, StarGirl said:

I thought comparing was like saying who was better than who, which I never did...? I only said he reminded me of him, and then I explained my only reasoning after. Yet...Then people started disagreeing with me by starting to compare their other attributes that did not match. LOL It's not like I said he was a total copy of him. :P

Don't worry, everyone is just giving opinions.  People on here disagree and give their opinion all the time.  Its kind of why we are all on here.:)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, StarGirl said:

Virtanen reminds me of Mason Raymond, I always see them being able to skate around with the puck for a lot of seconds, but can't seem to have the finishing touch to putting it in the back of the net.

*EDIT*: I don't get to choose the fact that someone has REMINDED me of someone, so stop with the disagreement and comparisons if you don't see it. I see it, and it's not something you can start talking to me about to try to change my mind or anything because it's not even an opinion. I was reminded of another person by someone, so it's an experience that I've already went through. You can't go back and change something I've already experienced. :P

I think he plays a lot like Raymond too, at least earlier on. Speed wide, do a couple laps, throw a puck on net. 

Rinse, repeat. 

David Booth is someone else that came to mind

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I think he plays a lot like Raymond too, at least earlier on. Speed wide, do a couple laps, throw a puck on net. 

Rinse, repeat. 

I wouldn't mind Jake producing like David Booth pre-concussions.  That's a big, fast, aggressive PWF who scores 30 plus goals, and 60 plus points.  That's one hell of a valuable player!!!!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I wouldn't mind Jake producing like David Booth pre-concussions.  That's a big, fast, aggressive PWF who scores 30 plus goals, and 60 plus points.  That's one hell of a valuable player!!!!  

Yup, similar skater, similar willingness to use the body too.

People like to forget but before his knee injury against the Ave Booth was great for us 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

I just wish he would use his speed and drive the net more. He has so many opportunities to do so but maybe it is a lack of confidence or situational awareness?

A lot of the times, he has little issues beating defenders wide, but then he throws a soft shot on net or misses it completely.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

I just wish he would use his speed and drive the net more. He has so many opportunities to do so but maybe it is a lack of confidence or situational awareness?

A lot of the times, he has little issues beating defenders wide, but then he throws a soft shot on net or misses it completely.

I think I heard him in an interview say that he is trying to change things up so he doesn't become predictable.  That kind of makes sense.

8 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Rinse, repeat. 

Yeah, I remember someone in 2015 said Virtanen reminded him of Mason Raymond first, while I didn't see it at that time. But now I did. So we're not the only ones. :lol:

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

yeah its too bad of those concussions, was a decent player.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

David Booth had 1 fluke 30 goal season.  

7 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

David Booth had 1 fluke 30 goal season.  

And then he had a really bad concussion the following season.

2 hours ago, StarGirl said:

Yeah, I remember someone in 2015 said Virtanen reminded him of Mason Raymond first, while I didn't see it at that time. But now I did. So we're not the only ones. :lol:

Yes!  You, Zhukini and Someone makes 3.:ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Jake looks like he is not skating with the puck very well. And that could just translate to confidence!

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Yes!  You, Zhukini and Someone makes 3.:ph34r:

Well, I mean...If you don't include the people who may not use the internet, does not go on this forum, and they may not choose to say it. Then maybe. :emot-parrot:

12 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I think I heard him in an interview say that he is trying to change things up so he doesn't become predictable.  That kind of makes sense.

I think Jake playing a predictable game would suit him better.

Predictable as in, if the opposing player has the puck, he will be destroyed.

Predictable as in, when Jake has the puck, he's taking it hard to the net and knocking over anyone in his way.

Predictable as in, when you mess with one of our players, you'll have to answer to Jake.

He's still learning his pro game.  He'll be fine and we'll be shot gunning at least 20 beers a year for the forseeable future.

• Upvote 1

On 1/7/2019 at 6:39 PM, StarGirl said:

Virtanen reminds me of Mason Raymond, I always see them being able to skate around with the puck for a lot of seconds, but can't seem to have the finishing touch to putting it in the back of the net.

*EDIT*: I don't get to choose the fact that someone has REMINDED me of someone, so stop with the disagreement and comparisons if you don't see it. I see it, and it's not something you can start talking to me about to try to change my mind or anything because it's not even an opinion. I was reminded of another person by someone, so it's an experience that I've already went through. You can't go back and change something I've already experienced. :P

Good god that is a poor comparison. Virtanen hits hard and raymond fell down if the air conditioning in the arena came on.  Haha nice try.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, StarGirl said:

Well, I mean...If you don't include the people who may not use the internet, does not go on this forum, and they may not choose to say it. Then maybe. :emot-parrot:

Why stop there?  Add on fans of other teams, people that don't watch hockey, maybe run a survey in China.  There must be a few more out there.

Seriously though, StarGirl, the only similarity between Raymond and Virtanen is that they are fast skaters.  That's it.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1